It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Atlantis have been built inside caldera of a volcanic island?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I was watching a documentary about Easter Island, and I saw an image of its scenery that I hadn't seen before.

commons.wikimedia.org...:Orongo_Crater_-_Easter_Island_(5955838847).jpg

It's apparently a lake that formed in the crater of one of the three volcanoes that spawned the island.

In the story of Atlantis its layout is famous for being more or less circular, with three concentric circles filled with water. (Or something like that).

www.atlantisbolivia.org...

So I don't have any idea about the inner rings, but I'm thinking the most likely place to find a natural circular lake to build the rest of the city inside of would be in a volcanic lake, remaining from a volcanic crater.

Also the description of the nearby plain being extremely fertile is consistent with a volcanic origin, because the land around recent volcanoes often is pretty fertile.

And just to be clear: I am NOT suggesting that Easter Island was Atlantis. I just think that its lake is a pristine example of the kind of geological formation I'm talking about. I expect that similar formations would happen in other volcanic islands.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Makes sense your idea, we all try to use the land to our own benefit. We see something and if that fits our plan and aids the job, then we go for it. a reply to: bloodymarvelous

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   
You mean like this?

Now, who could have possibly built a major harbor city in the caldera of an ancient volcano,
I wonder who?

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 12:13 AM
link   
This is a fairly popular opinion.

My money is still on Santorini and the "Cyclade Plateau".

Santorini of course, is also a caldera or volcanic crater, so... We're in agreement of sorts.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Unrestored original fresco from Akrotiri

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 12:30 AM
link   
uoop
edit on p0000006k35642019Thu, 06 Jun 2019 00:35:43 -0500k by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 12:40 AM
link   
So this is the second thread about this but nobody thinks that it could be at Lat 32° 2'3.83"N/Long 27°59'22.86"W. The area called Cruiser Tablemount not only has the looks of the island nation, but is also under water.

Personal Note:
I personally think that it is in Africa somewhere west of the Gulf of Sidra in Libya, but that's just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: bloodymarvelous

It was. And it erupted. Its/was called Santorini/Minoa.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 6-6-2019 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Perhaps not all calderas we observe, are of volcanic nature?

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 02:35 AM
link   

There have been many city's and cultures built, near or even inside of Volcano's and there caldera's such as Santorini, of course Pompei and Herculaneum were built near to Vesuvius AND EDINBURGH - that's right the famous and beautiful Scottish city is built on an extinct volcano - it's castle is actually on the remains of an eroded volcanic plug.

But for it to match the description of Atlantis then sorry but no.

Santorini is a good fit but far too small, far too far inside the pillars of Heracles and far too recent though far enough back in time it may have spawned a million story's and the catastrophe of it's destruction destroyed city's and ports right across the Mediterranean world, in spite of find's such as Lepenski Vir in Serbia and the ancient and mysterious Hypogeum of Hal Safleini on Malta which well and truly predate the Mycenaean culture it is still credited as Europe's first civilization, a disgrace in the face of such well constructed remains as these two much older ruin's which point to at least two other previous civilization's and there were probably far more than that.
heritagemalta.org...

lepenski-vir.org...

My take is this, there have been many city's destroyed when volcano's have woken up, many entire cultures especially on island's may have been wiped out by such natural disasters but I do not believe that such is THE Atlantis though of course many OTHER Atlantis('s) could have been built on such an place.

This is NOT atlantis but it is way too relevant to leave out.
www.facebook.com...

This last one would fit the beliefs of those that believe in the words of Edgar Cayce, a paranormal person of sort's whom while NOT a prophet in the biblical sense had the unusual ability to go to sleep with a book under his pillow, not read it and yet be able to quote it passage by passage when he woke the following day according to some claim's.

Cayce saw vision's of AN Atlantis (more technologically advanced than we are today and definitely more advanced than the world when he was alive) that once sat on a large land mass lost in the Atlantic, most notably part of it being right were this city was found, he also said that about this time remnant's of that ancient civilization would be rediscovered but many of his supposed prophecy's have failed - or been suppressed.

I am not an adherent of Cayce but I do believe he had a gift.

Now you have had your fill of Cayce and HIS Atlantis it should provide some food for thought and also some interesting commentary to go on with.

I am still a believer in the eye of the Sahara as mentioned on at least two previous threads.

And I believe that there have been many Atlantis all around the world not just one, I am a firm believer that this planet has hosted many world's and perhaps even other races of man long before us, also that the human race did not come from monkey's despite similar biological structures there are just too many ooparts to argue against us having come from some damned monkey - though it would explain my urge to scratch my arse a lot.

As a Christian I take my lord's word's literally "There is nothing NEW under the sun", everything that has been will be again and everything that may come into being has already been before.
(I shall now be accused of misinterpreting or misunderstanding his words and maybe they will be correct to do so, or maybe they won't be correct)
The bible also speak's cryptically of lost ancient land's in the passage about the Creator "His footstep's echo in the deep" though of course that could also refer to the back ground echo of the big bang which is still present in the universe.

edit on 6-6-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10
You mean like this?

Now, who could have possibly built a major harbor city in the caldera of an ancient volcano,
I wonder who?

LOL you know he meant on top of the volcano, where the 'caldera' is, like the big round hole at the top that eventually closes up? I don't know what i'm talking about by the way LMFAO!

Like Moscow and the seven hills stuff? Hee hee
edit on 6-6-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I like the theory that the eye of the Sahara was atlantis. Certainly fits the description if sea levels where higher.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xabi87
I like the theory that the eye of the Sahara was atlantis. Certainly fits the description if sea levels where higher.

I read about that here on ATS
It looked like a stretch to be honest, but who knows

P.S. Quoted you on my signature....

edit on 6-6-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Santorini is a good fit but far too small, far too far inside the pillars of Heracles and far too recent though far enough back in time it may have spawned a million story's and the catastrophe of it's destruction destroyed city's and ports right across the Mediterranean world, in spite of find's such as Lepenski Vir in Serbia and the ancient and mysterious Hypogeum of Hal Safleini on Malta which well and truly predate the Mycenaean culture it is still credited as Europe's first civilization, a disgrace in the face of such well constructed remains as these two much older ruin's which point to at least two other previous civilization's and there were probably far more than that.

Lepenski Vir could possibly have been a civilization, but the Serbians flooded it so now we'll probably never know.
Regarding both Lepenski Vir and anything on Malta, there is more to a civilization than just monumental architecture or art, or even agriculture.
When you read that Sumer was the first civilization, that's because it's the earliest one ever found that meets the Anthropological requirements for such a classification.

Absent any evidence of the criteria elsewhere, Anthropology names Sumer as the earliest, but that simply means that Sumer is the earliest ever found that can be verified as meeting the criteria.

Harte

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Check out this location on google maps.

21.123540, -11.399265

Richat Structure

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: turbo8
Check out this location on google maps.

21.123540, -11.399265

Richat Structure

Cruiser Tablemount looks more promising for those inclined to take a direct description of the land.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

That is correct however let's be fair Hart you don't build these thing's without an underlying culture and shared values and that is also a definition of a civilization is it not, as for Agriculture the fertile crescent model is still being pushed as the origin of farming and yet there is other evidence that get's ignored repeatedly why is that?.
www.archaeology.org...
And let's not get started on how long ago the genetic markers in cultivated south American crop's may suggest they were first cultivated, not the archaeological find's the biological markers.

And even then leaving agriculture behind a moment mankind has been fishing for a lot longer than they have been planting, our biology is mostly carnivore anyway and hunter gatherers probably ate more meat than vegetable, traded with fishing SETTLEMENT's and the like's and even perhaps aped those early fishing city's with places such as Catal Huyak which I am sure you agree is similar to some of the Pueblo ruin's of north America except for the lack of agriculture in the near eastern site.

Turn's out my knowledge of Catal Huyak is woefully outdated, they did indeed farm there so the original claim's it was a hunter gatherer community have since been revised.
sciencing.com...
And of course the site does mesh with the early fertile crescent period as well so that was a mistake on my part to include, still a vastly important site.

edit on 6-6-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 11:04 PM
link   

That is correct however let's be fair Hart you don't build these thing's without an underlying culture and shared values and that is also a definition of a civilization is it not, as for Agriculture the fertile crescent model is still being pushed as the origin of farming and yet there is other evidence that get's ignored repeatedly why is that?.

Because the criteria for a civilization has not been met.
Nobody's "ignoring" anything. "Civilization" in Anthropological terms just a classification of a cultural level, not a badge of honor.
For example, the Maya were a civilization that would rip your beating heart right out of your chest because they thought if they didn't, the world would end.
Pretty barbaric for a civilized people.

And who pushes the Fertile Crescent as the "origin of farming?" I'd have to read that to know what you're talking about. That is, last I read the consensus was farming arose spontaneously in many different areas.
Farming is known to have occurred in hunter-gatherer populations too. But not sedentary farming. Seasonal farming done in areas where a culture would visit maybe once or twice a year,

Harte

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Good point, to be frank I do find it very hard to think of the MAYA or Aztec or Inca as civilization given there cannibalistic and human sacrifice tendency's but that is my cultural bias being enforced on them, still lets' just be grateful greater and more enlightened ages came even if they did not come without there own share of blood shed and tears.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

It was. And it erupted. Its/was called Santorini/Minoa.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

My problem with Santorini/Minoa is the Greeks already had legends about Minoa, didn't they?

How would that not be an obvious thing, from Plato's perspective?

I'm happy to go that route if it can be shown that the history of Minoa was sufficiently obscure for it to get woven into a story so old.

However, I gave up a long time ago on believing the ancients were stupid.

There have been many city's and cultures built, near or even inside of Volcano's and there caldera's such as Santorini, of course Pompei and Herculaneum were built near to Vesuvius AND EDINBURGH - that's right the famous and beautiful Scottish city is built on an extinct volcano - it's castle is actually on the remains of an eroded volcanic plug.

I'm thinking big cities tend to get built near fertile land. People don't build near a volcano because they think it's funny to get buried in lava. It's just where the best land is.

Probably more than one culture has taken that path.

originally posted by: Xabi87

That theory is what got me thinking about this.

The guy makes a good point that they would be most likely to build using existing natural infrastructure (and Plato's account gives the impression that the terrain might have been created "by the gods", or a natural formation.)

But a random volcanic island fits more data points. The end of Atlantis would likely have been the result of the dormant volcano going active, and the structure would have been destroyed by that.

originally posted by: Guyfriday
So this is the second thread about this but nobody thinks that it could be at Lat 32° 2'3.83"N/Long 27°59'22.86"W. The area called Cruiser Tablemount not only has the looks of the island nation, but is also under water.

Personal Note:
I personally think that it is in Africa somewhere west of the Gulf of Sidra in Libya, but that's just my opinion.

Feeding that into Google Earth is pretty interesting!

Don't know if this link will work.

earth.google.com...@31.48130045,-27.04370296,369.54011841a,1686949.53907102d,35y,10.79799945h,32.24353087t,0r/data=CjsaORIxCgAZAAAAAAAAQEAhA AAAAAAAO8AqGzMywrAwMCcwMC4wIk4gMjfCsDAwJzAwLjAiVxgBIAEoAg

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join