It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico meets migrants at southern border with armed forces

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: Aazadan

You're right; it's not very successful.

The problem is corruption. We can send all the money we want to these other countries, but we can't spend it for them. Too many of the leaders prefer to spend the foreign aid on things that will benefit them instead of things that will benefit their people. That's something we can't fix without literally invading the countries militarily... which I adamantly oppose.

At some point, people have to be willing to help themselves. By allowing illegal immigration, we are removing the impetus for the people to throw out those corrupt leaders and are perpetuating the problem. If the US closes the border, the people will have to fix their own country, and we can help with that.

TheRedneck

Agree. Except on the fully closed border part. We do need growth from immigration, it's good for any country and,

I just don't think the wall will fix it.

But who knows? We might just get to see if it does.

No one thinks the wall will stop all illegal immigration but no honest person thinks it'll have zero impact. Did you see the video last week of over 1000 people going through the fence in a matter of minutes? That couldn't happen with a wall. Even if you could get over it (and there are designs for walls that can defeat ladders), it would take much longer and it's much more likely CBP would come across them in that amount of time. Some people just aren't physically capable of climbing a wall. Not everyone has the resources to dig a giant tunnel either. It will undeniably cut the numbers down. Anyone claiming otherwise is lying, and they know they're lying.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I think I should have made myself clearer... when I spoke of a "closed border" I was speaking in terms of not allowing in illegal aliens through neglect like we do now... I did not mean a border closed to legal visitors, trade, registered migrant workers, etc.

You are correct that we need immigration... we just need legal immigration.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I think I should have made myself clearer... when I spoke of a "closed border" I was speaking in terms of not allowing in illegal aliens through neglect like we do now... I did not mean a border closed to legal visitors, trade, registered migrant workers, etc.

You are correct that we need immigration... we just need legal immigration.

TheRedneck

Even better, merit-based immigration.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Agreed (to some extent anyway)... but let's get it to legal first... finish the wall!

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY

Not really.

Not really - what? My statement was directed at the speed of the Mexican government responding to the US's proposed plan. It was quick. It should help those getting caught in the middle.

Are you saying "not really" to the speed? "Not really" that it could help people from getting taken advantage of? Or that people getting taken advantage of is "not really" a problem?

I was not aware of thousands and thousands of Asians coming here illegally via airports. Maybe they should put some resources at the airports to check for these things. The numbers must be enormous.

Not really to it in any way affecting illegal immigration.

Checking at the airports doesn't do anything, because most illegals come to the US legally and stay illegally by overstaying work and student visas. Guarding the border doesn't stop any of that.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Yes we have tried helping some of them just to have their own governments waste the aid.

Sad but true.

Giving them money isn't how you make them prosperous. Giving them trade deals that create legal employment while defunding factions like cartels that rival their government for control is how you do it.

A strong, stable, and prosperous Mexico is in the US's best interests. The best way to do that is to get the oil refineries in southern states to stop buying black market oil stolen from PEMEX. To stop letting cartel members buy guns here (or worse, sending south as Fast and Furious did. To change policies so that the prices on illegal drugs plummet, and better yet to introduce competition so that the cartels are getting less money. Oh, and to change our policy towards people coming here so that human trafficking is no longer a profitable activity.

None of this costs us anything or involves giving money to Mexico. It's just stopping activities we do that contribute to destabilizing the country.
edit on 6-6-2019 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

We have that, they're called H1-B's, they're legal immigration, and they've been a disaster. They've created every bit a slave class as employers that exploit illegals have.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Delete, wierd wrong post...
edit on 6-6-2019 by ADVISOR because: Incorrect thread replied to

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I trust the ingenuity of humans to get a round a wall.

But hey did you hear we might not need a wall at all.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I understand the positives of this but it feels like it goes against the spirit of america for me.
I believe america is the idea that anyone regardless of skill , wealth, or even education can be free to live a happy life.
If that isn't true here then it's not true anywhere. And it doesn't seem right to keep that freedom for ourselves only.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 11:51 PM
link   

That's why I think the numbers that the wall does stop will not justify the money spent to build it.
Especially when we could think of a better plan. Like this one.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Giving them money isn't how you make them prosperous. Giving them trade deals that create legal employment while defunding factions like cartels that rival their government for control is how you do it. A strong, stable, and prosperous Mexico is in the US's best interests.

Agreed.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Let us not forget, there are high-profile co-conspirators in the Mexico media.

"Mr. Univision" Jorge Ramos, gets lots of money from unsavory criminals to say whatever is in the best interest of Cartels and Traffickers.

Ramos: "It's unfair to ask Mexico to stop Illegals" - www.breitbart.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thanatophobia
I don't understand how you guys don't see these migrants as human. Is it because you've never actually met a real immigrant before? You are acting as if these are ALL hardened criminals and should feel the wrath of mexican jail, and quite frankly, that's #ed. We're all human on this spinning rock just trying the best we can....

Yes, and civilization generally has an agreed upon code of behavior--laws, if you will--to decide what's acceptable and not acceptable for 'trying the best we can.'

No points awarded for criminals breaking the law and circumventing citizens' rights because it's the best meal ticket they can get.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Look my neighbor had damage to her roof from Florence the state sent in a crew to fix roof and walls in effected rooms the crew they brought in were all Mexicans they stripped all the carpet in house put down floor boards cut out sheet rock walls on rooms on other end of house from area damaged and their foreman came in and I asked him if they were going to replace sheetrock they stripped out he said no it wasn't on his work order I asked him why they did all that interior work and still had not fixed roof so he sent guy up to roof next day it rained and roof leaked like a sieve. The companies as guy was their to sign off on work I told him what I witnessed he went and checked all their work and found their roof fix was they had stapled 2 shingles over 10 inch hole in roof. He fired them for pics poor quality of their work and hired local guys to come in and fix stuff that they were supposed to fix and all the stuff they damaged too at companies cost..

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: projectvxn
However I got to add. If you aren't targeting businesses that hire illegal laborers. Then you aren't fully addressing the issue.

Target them how? It's already illegal. Everywhere. And there are raids all the time. If you're pissed because there aren't enough whistleblowers inside chicken processing plants and soybean fields, that's not Trump's fault.

The heart of the problem lies with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the largest political lobby in the United States, and a decades-long advocate for open borders and periodic amnesty. They have their talons in most of the leadership of both the Republican and Democrat parties, which Trump has been battling since his day on the escalator.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: CajunMetal

Smh, indeed.

No one in this thread has said a word, save yourself, about brown skinned illegals.

Nope, our references were about all illegals. Oops, you swung and missed. Accusations of racism usually work better if there's actually racism involved.

Do try again, though...

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

And how to you think you can target these businesses. U think there is a big fat sign that says we hire illegals outside of a business? It would take months of investigations and on top of that dealing with the obstructionist democrats who would throw a wrench in everything.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: face23785

We have that, they're called H1-B's, they're legal immigration, and they've been a disaster. They've created every bit a slave class as employers that exploit illegals have.

Yeah because the standards for it are absurd. There's been a lot of talk about revamping that system as part of the overall immigration reform that needs to be done. Here's an article about some of the changes they want to make that will ensure we bring in more high-quality people and that it doesn't have as big an impact on American workers.

Also, H1-Bs are only a small percentage of our annual immigration. The proposals about a merit-based immigration system are about making a large portion of our annual immigration merit-based, with some allocation to asylum seekers as well (which also needs to be revamped because right now people abuse it and that only hurts legitimate asylum seekers).

Are you informed about anything you post about? You're getting like silly. You come in and talk and don't know anything.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: CajunMetal

Smh, indeed.

No one in this thread has said a word, save yourself, about brown skinned illegals.

Nope, our references were about all illegals. Oops, you swung and missed. Accusations of racism usually work better if there's actually racism involved.

Do try again, though...

The facts aren't on their side, so they have to make # up. Doesn't surprise you by any chance does it? That's pretty much all leftism is is one big straw man.

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join