It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb Neighbor wants to ruin cheap trash

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: recrisp
Someone is forgetting that "biscuits" in the U.K. are cookies...
In the U.S., "biscuits" are a bread, that is wonderful in gravy!
Two completely different things...

Yes, well, in the UK, they sometimes have odd names for things, but that's OK. A flaky, buttery biscuit with a nice sausage gravy is a hearty breakfast here.

The problem with contracting for things like trash service is that you never see the particulars so it's pretty easy for the process to get corrupt on the town dime.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
"Man I'm glad I live in the best country on the planet.."
England?

I was wondering about that, but "200 miles beyond the black stump" doesn't sound like an English expression, and we don't get large items collected without charge. So until he comes back and explains, my money is on "Australia".

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: gallop
You are not getting trash taken away for free. Somebody is paying. Either through taxes/fees etc. It's all an illusion.

Trash collection is included in 'council rates' here, or what you Americans would refer to as 'property taxes'. I have no idea which system is better, never really given it much thought, to be honest.

But, I will say that worrying about the cost and quality of trash removal does come across as kind of an odd and foreign concept.

We just put our trash out once a week and without fail it always gets collected, that's just how it's always been.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Um, I think Canada does. Don't they put it on everything? LOL

Being Alaskan, I often forget that Canada is their own separate country. Forgive me. Obviously western Canadians understand the value of delicious gravy.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
"Man I'm glad I live in the best country on the planet.."
England?

I was wondering about that, but "200 miles beyond the black stump" doesn't sound like an English expression, and we don't get large items collected without charge. So until he comes back and explains, my money is on "Australia".

Which is why I said "England." If he's from Australia, that slight will be met with quick refutation.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

There's the rub.

In many places, the city does all the dirty work for you, and you don't actually think about it. So you stop thinking about trash service as a service and it's just something that happens ... or not.

In JAG's place, they get to see what the other offers are and what service proposals come with those offers, and if they don't like the service, they can trade up. So the different service providers have some pressure to get and keep business.

There is an argument that contracting can make service cheaper in that the service is provided in bulk to lots of customers to the service provider can offer the service more cheaply with many guaranteed customers. However, when you outsource the job of making the contract and examining the different proposals, you are more or less trusting that those doing the work are always doing it with the idea that they will get the best deal for you.

The problem is that providers and government can scratch each other's backs when the money belongs to third parties (tax payers). Providers provide help getting elected. Government officials guarantee fat contracts. Who cares about the service or the deal? Tax payers will always provide and never actually see the real terms of the deal.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, I understand what your saying and don't necessarily disagree.

But the other side of the coin is that private companies don't have an obligation to the public.

Basically, if someone can't afford to pay their bill, then a private company can just simply refuse to collect the trash... Any hygienic issues that may result within the community through their refusal to collect the trash is simply not their problem.

With a government entity they have an obligation to deal with the welfare of the community first and then deal with any due fees second.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Not really.

In a lot of places, the garbage men are public employees or unionized in some manner. If they go on strike, eff the public good.

And in my local, the city works that are supposed to plow the streets may not ever show up in my neighborhood.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And in my local, the city works that are supposed to plow the streets may not ever show up in my neighborhood.

Maybe you should consider moving to Canada... I bet there plow drivers are more reliable.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

To the 5 or 6 posters above gallop is probably British, although in Australia we have somewhat similar rubbish services as gallops but nowhere as cheap as you Americans.

Having tried US biscuits and gravy - sorry but - to non US peeps "that" biscuit is best described as a scone - bread it is not.

Now biscuits to the English and Aussies are what Americans call cookies.

When I was in the States 4 years ago I tried a small morsel of "biscuits" and sausage gravy. After careful consideration,
I'm sorry, but it must be an acquired taste as I found them disgustingly salty and the gravy really lacked flavour.
The gravy was fairly bland - why not get true juices from a BBQ or steak to make a real gravy?

But I must admit, your crispy bacon is great, or your rich indulgent sundaes,

posted on Jun, 8 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Title - "Dumb Neighbor wants to ruin cheap trash"

I just read the title and couldn't resist...

Yeah! I only like to ruin really expensive trash!!

LOL

ETA - I'll find the door.

edit on 6/8/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join