It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now for some pickled curry Cauliflower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:43 AM
link   
So last night I canned up the pickled curry cauliflower. I hadn't tried this version before, but it seemed like it would be great.

Sometimes it's hard trying out a new canning recipe because you have to wait to find out if it's any good or not. Well, this time I kind of lucked out. I had one jar which didn't seal properly, so I got to try the fruits of my labor on day 2. Now, granted it's only been aging for a day, but WOW! Like, really WOW!! It came out fantastic, far better than I thought it would!

I strongly recommend this one!

I've been 'taste testing' this one all morning. I was going to bring it in to work with me, but there might not be any left by the time I leave!

So what's in it?

I just did a small batch for starters, just to see how it was. The recipe goes like this...

Yield = 2 Pints

4 cups - Cauliflower florets (I just used a whole head)
2 - Bay leaves (I wound up using 3...I'll explain in a minute)
1/2 tsp - Celery seed
2 tsp - Crushed red pepper flakes

Brine -
2 cups - White vinegar (5%)
1 cup - Water
2 tsp - Curry powder
1 tsp - Canning salt

Basically, I just simmered the brine while I was getting everything else ready. Because I used a whole head of cauliflower instead of going for exactly 4 cups, I wound up with more than 4 cups of cauliflower. Yield was supposed to be (2) pints, but it was clear I was going to need a third jar, so I scaled up the brine by 30% to compensate (hence the 3rd bay leaf).

Once I got everything in the jars I had (3) very full jars (one of them too full...the one that didn't seal properly). I added the brine and put them in a hot water bath for 30 minutes. (Note - At sea-level you could just opt for 10 minutes in the hot water bath, but we're above 6,000 feet so I add 20 minutes to my bath times).

That's it!

Had (2) jars that sealed just fine, and the over-full one which didn't (yay, samples for me!).

I'll definitely be making a much larger batch of this as the cauliflower starts coming in this year. On a side note, I'd say you could also do this recipe without the celery seed for a more savory flavor (not quite as 'bright' tasting). Also, if you don't like spicy (I love spicy), you could leave out the crushed red pepper. I think on my next larger batch I'll make half with the celery seed and half without. Red pepper will be included in all.

Enjoy! This is a really good one!
edit on 6/5/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You made me think about beer and it's not even 8 am.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   
BTW...if you're wondering about texture...

The texture of the cauliflower is perfect. Crisp, not mushy at all, but not hard like raw cauliflower. It's the perfect pickle crunch texture.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Don't you have a whole garage full of it???

What's wrong with a beer before 8am? LOL!

ETA - Hey, I'm eating curry pickled cauliflower and it's not even 6am!

edit on 6/5/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I'm not much for curry myself. Lots of people like curry though.

Daughter sent me a video, it is pretty decent. www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I like to serve pickled cauliflower, which I also use curry in the brine, with a variety of foods like salume, sashimi and as a side for smoked food.

top topics

join