It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idiot reaction to tragedy, yes Virginia, it's you.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:31 AM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

After a gunman killed 32 people at Virginia Tech in 2007, a bill to require mandatory background checks for arms purchases at gun shows failed to make it out of committee in the Virginia State Senate. It was blocked by all of the Republicans on the committee and two Democrats, who controlled the chamber at the time. Now, more than a decade later, and after a gunman killed 12 people in Virginia Beach last week, a similar background check bill is being proposed as part of a package of legislation to be considered in a special session, which Gov. Ralph Northam called for on Tuesday. And State Senator John S. Edwards, a rural district Democrat who helped stop that bill in 2008, has a different read today.

As with the New Zealand incident, the reaction to a mass shooting seems to be "go after the gunz!!!!". Hell, in New Zealand, they did EXACTLY what the gunman said his goal was. If the government would have just talked to the killer and promised to do what he wanted, a few lives could have been spared.

But it seems not ONE of these tool bags has any vision. What happens every time we have a mass shooting? You scream about taking away the gunz, and the gun crowd screams about the 2nd amendment. Rinse, repeat. Every.....damn.....time. Why not have that conversation about WHY a person thought grabbing a gun and killing innocent folks was a solution to anything. Does that make too much sense?

I'll say it again. Gunz aren't why this guy killed people, they were just the tool used for the job. And the people in Virginia Beach should be thankful he didn't try to use explosives, or something like that, which might have killed and injured many more. They guy had his guns for a long time. Legally purchased, and owned. He just apparently had some severe mental issues. Hearing about the days before, he was displaying some of those issues openly. Perhaps we could look into that, and learn from it. Or do we really not want to fix the mass killings, just use them to get the gunz?

If removing the gunz would stop the killings, and removing the gunz was possible, I'd be for it. I don't like seeing people die for stupid reasons. But you can't remove all gunz, and doing so won't change the fact that crazy folks do crazy things. It would just make them get more creative, and possibly more destructive. At some point, lefties, democrats, gun grabbers, will have to put down the pipe, and realize the conversation that needs to be had is multi-faceted, and may not include removing gunz from law abiding citizens. Perhaps one day, some common sense will creep into the conversation, instead of "common sense gun laws", which are anything but.

Keep your hopes and prayers, it's time to try to understand the problem.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Every government must to ANYTHING to prevent looking being susceptible to blackmail!

Because the next day after someone else comes around and demands a cool million dollars, and that is a situation no government can endure!

-- I am not talking about gun control laws, just this one point of yours:

If the government would have just talked to the killer and promised to do what he wanted, a few lives could have been spared.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

but isn't that exactly what happened, except he killed a bunch of people to get his point across?

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Why not have that conversation about WHY a person thought grabbing a gun and killing innocent folks was a solution to anything. Does that make too much sense?

It does make sense but government reacts on the path of least resistance. I.e., the least amount of effort. As we know, the public has a short attention span and a politician has to have something to say within a few days of a tragedy. It's unlikely we'll ever see a common sense approach to solve the problem when appearance to solve the problem is more important.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

Why not have that conversation about WHY a person thought grabbing a gun and killing innocent folks was a solution to anything. Does that make too much sense?

It does make sense but government reacts on the path of least resistance. I.e., the least amount of effort. As we know, the public has a short attention span and a politician has to have something to say within a few days of a tragedy. It's unlikely we'll ever see a common sense approach to solve the problem when appearance to solve the problem is more important.

which seems to lead back to:

Or do we really not want to fix the mass killings, just use them to get the gunz?

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   
The problem isn't hard to understand. It's actually pretty simple, for anyone who will open their eyes. We hate life.

That's it: three little words. We hate life. Not our own, oh no, but all these other lives running around willy-nilly, getting in our way, interfering with what we want to do. And why shouldn't we hate them? They're just in our way. It's not like we need them. If they weren't there, we would have more money, more freedom, more fun...

Just look at a few of the things we have seen over the last few years: our leaders encourage their followers to harass and drive out people. Other leaders openly express hatred for others because they are different. In recent abortion debates, I have heard children called "parasites," "punishment," "leeches." One leader jokes about using nukes against those who disagree with him. We have been told "you didn't build that" when "that" was our life's work. Democrats hate Republicans, Republicans hate Democrats, the poor hate the rich, the North hates the South, Christians hate Muslims... wouldn't the world be better off without them here?

We've dehumanized those we are told are our enemies, and in doing so, we no longer see them as people... they are just in the way, or worse, they want to be in the way. How is it surprising to see some people literally taking that final step and making them not be in the way? That's what this was all about. That's always what hate is about.

Who's next? Am I the next victim? Are you the next shooter? Don't laugh... it's closer than you might think. It's not a leap from dehumanization to execution... it's a small baby step. if it happens to you, you won't even notice you've taken that baby step, until suddenly you realize what you've done. Then it's too late. Then the cycle is complete. Those you hate, those you just harmed, will now hate you and by extension, anyone around you. One of them will snap someday, and the hate will start all over again.

It's a cancer, and it's spreading. It thrives on hate and apathy. It lives on misery and jealousy. it craves revenge and anger. Fighting it with those only makes it stronger. There is only one antidote: love. And it seems that lately, we're all out of antidote.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:51 AM
link   
How many of you have ever gone three days without seeing or speaking another person. Did you feel lonely? There are so many people on Earth, life isn’t treasured anymore. We take it for granted and we didn’t use to. We treasured family, friends, and neighbour’s because there were so damn few of them. Why do you thing these shooting happen mostly in high population areas.

Simple answer is, Life is cheap.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Since you are from Europe, and English might not be your 1st language, I just want you to know that you
just responded to facetious statement.

Facetious statement: treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

The argument was, the killer wanted guns to be taken, so he killed a bunch of people for gun control
So instead of the mass murder
If the government would have just taken the guns first, there would not have been a need to kill people and that country would still be on the same fascist government power play just with more people alive

Hope this helps, for future posts

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

It's only a matter of time before people claim it was a false flag attack to pass gun control legislation.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Too late!

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

So what's the problem? How do you intend to solve it? Do you have any ideas??

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
mental health is not an issue...

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

In a free society, there will always exist the opportunity for evil people to cause harm.

The only "fix" is to make society less free.

Are we at that point where we actually want to trade freedom for security?

Because last time I heard, when you do that. . . . you wind up with neither.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Guns aren't going anywhere, mental illness is something that can happen anytime in life, people are being more, and more divided, people at each others throats..get used to the shootings..you can't fix it.
edit on 5-6-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

So what's the problem? How do you intend to solve it? Do you have any ideas??

I'll chime in on that. First, there has to be an agreement that this isn't a gun/2nd amendment discussion. Maybe in the end, we'll be able to make a conclusion but we're not at that point yet.

After that is established, take a look at workplace shootings from 30 years ago. Do you remember "going postal" when it seemed this only ever happened at post offices? Funny how that doesn't occur anymore. Maybe USPS figured out what was wrong and fixed it, I don't know. The first action would be to constrain the media on how they report these incidents. The should report and move on, not camp out at the place wherever a mass shooting occurs and give blow-by-blow coverage for days on end. That would would help to stop giving desperate people ideas. I think in many cases, shootings are about getting attention.

Next, look at the school and church shootings. What do they have in common (besides the guns)? What motivated each one of those individuals to do what they did? There are the loners who just hate their peers and we've had the extremists who hate black churches! I'm sure the commonality among them is a mental condition of some sort. Governments love to pay big bucks for studies. Instead of millions going into researching the sex life of a tsetse fly, give that to a qualified psychology group.

Mass shootings haven't always been part of life in this country. I grew up in the 60's (in Canada) and my teen years in the 70's (in the USA). I don't recall this ever being an issue. Guns were just as common then as they are now. That alone should prove the problem isn't being addressed properly.

edit on 6-5-2019 by LogicalGraphitti because: misspelled Tsetse.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

en.wikipedia.org...

An interesting glimpse of mass shootings in the US and take a look at the 1970's.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Interesting perspective and to a degree true I think. I find this in myself at times, sitting on a slow simmer. I experience this often while driving. There are those nincompoops that do stupid stuff on the road like pulling out with out warning or passing on the right to squeeze into the left lane to avoid the truck that everyone else is lined up to pass only to make those of us have to brake to allow them their spot in the line.

But more than that I notice it in myself with just plain drivers who are driving a few miles an hour slower than me and I have to take my foot off the pedal and slow down a bit until they can change back to the slower lane.

And the people in line at the grocery who are only doing what I am doing yet they are doing it before me and it irks.And it irks that I find it in myself. My principles tell me this is not a ''good'' way to be yet that tendency is still there and after all my years of dealing with it still it is there and cumbersome.

Yet I do value life and the life of others. My family and friends yet even that antagonism creeps in when situations get testy. The I deserve freedom and you are hindering it from happening.

To me, this speaks to the blame game. It's always someone else's fault if I'm late or don't get my share. Hrumph.

For me though I take this as a challange. I recognize it and marvel at it when it comes up from my unconscious pool of behavior patterns and deal with it. In a way it allows me empathy for the sad folk who do not have the level of self reflection that I like to tell myself that I have.

I think we can establish within ourselves other patterns that help to assuage those feelings of other people getting in our way and slowing us down, of recognizing it is just part of our species behavior patterns. Or not recognizing it and letting it compound within ourselves until it takes us over and boom, we loose ourselves in patterns of escalation that justify and reinforce that primal sense of value over others.

And as you suggest, love, if not the key, is at least a moments reprieve from those tendencies that allows us time to breath and reflect before those baser reactive impulses take us over. This guy apparently didn't.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

en.wikipedia.org...

An interesting glimpse of mass shootings in the US and take a look at the 1970's.

Darn it DB, you just ruined my day! All this time I though my childhood was utopian

Either I wasn't paying attention (most likely) or this didn't make the news much. I do remember the Kent University shooting by police though. I think that was pretty significant at the time.
edit on 6-5-2019 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I think the media plays it up more now

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Well, since we're in the mudpit ...

Ralph Northham is a racist, hypocritical scumbag who needs to be tarred, feathered, and run out of the state.

He "honors the fallen" on Memorial Day, then a week later he spits on their graves by trying to take away the rights those brave men and women fought and died for. What we need is a Million Gun March on the Governor's Mansion to extract this POS and send him off to California, England, Australia, or anywhere else where the government thinks that the people are the property of the State. Then we can change the state flag and put his face on the fallen tyrant.

If he wants to take away guns, he can start with state law enforcement. The Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms to the people, not the state. If the people don't need weapons to protect themselves, then neither does the State.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join