It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would be considered “sci-fi” in the Star Wars universe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Right off the bat you’d say teleportation and time travel but that has appeared in Legends and matter replication pseudo-exists with the food synthesizers. Based on this; I’m sure they can synthesize objects or at least make them really quickly. Im looking for something that the Star Wars denizens would consider “science fiction” and yes that term has been used in Legends. Admiral Motti speaks of the Celestials as Science fiction in the Essential Guide to Warfare and in one of the MedStar Healer books, it is referred to as a future fic.

So canon or Legends, sci fi exists. I want to write an RPG profile of a crazy scientist who is looking to accomplish an “impossible” task. What could he be trying to do?

Immortality and Intangibility excluded. Too obvious.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: MaxNocerino7
Right off the bat you’d say teleportation and time travel but that has appeared in Legends and matter replication pseudo-exists with the food synthesizers. Based on this; I’m sure they can synthesize objects or at least make them really quickly. Im looking for something that the Star Wars denizens would consider “science fiction” and yes that term has been used in Legends. Admiral Motti speaks of the Celestials as Science fiction in the Essential Guide to Warfare and in one of the MedStar Healer books, it is referred to as a future fic.

So canon or Legends, sci fi exists. I want to write an RPG profile of a crazy scientist who is looking to accomplish an “impossible” task. What could he be trying to do?

Immortality and Intangibility excluded. Too obvious.

He would teach humanity to park within the designated lines at the grocery store.
edit on 4-6-2019 by madmac5150 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Time travel.

Reshaping into another person or animal.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: MaxNocerino7

I want to write an RPG profile of a crazy scientist who is looking to accomplish an “impossible” task. What could he be trying to do?

He is trying to create his own pocket universe.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Same as in our Universe. Any fiction that is based around science and tech elements.

So a story about a Astromech and a Protocol Droid falling in love in a universe where those things actually exist would still be sci-fi no?

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Tattoos. :p

AI (er AGI), nanotech, biotech, tech immortality, etc transhumanism stuff thats all apparently becoming science reality in the next decade or so...

edit on 5-6-2019 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AtomicKangaroo
Same as in our Universe. Any fiction that is based around science and tech elements.

So a story about a Astromech and a Protocol Droid falling in love in a universe where those things actually exist would still be sci-fi no?

They're 100% right. Science isn't exponential, that's why the human science curve is hitting the steeper side after the quick gains of the past century, past fifty years especially.

What's after 5G? I'll tell you; nothing much. You can't go faster than close to instantly, hardware allowing. What about 6G and 7G and.. no, sorry but it doesn't work that way.

I'd have to say spirits, life after death, God(s) and the like. The Star Wars universe does seem rather atheistic in the sense that these topics aren't touched on much in the movies or original books. What happens to a Jedi when they have physical death? What about a Sith? Is there a Star Wars Heaven and Hell? If so, do they have the equivalent of cookie cutter God and villain Satan?

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 01:57 AM
link   

In the expanded star wars universe that would be a very hard on to fill but in the ordinary universe you are probably bank on teleportation is probably something that would not exist, they also do not use warp drive but there hyperspace engines are faster than anything in the star trek universe - except mind travel as happened in that episode with the traveler and will crusher.

The Expanded universe includes races from other Galaxy's but the original un-expanded universe is just set in A Galaxy far far away and even the empire may not have been in control of the ENTIRE Galaxy just most of it or at least the core system's leaving the outer rim and a few other territory's were even the empire did not dare to go presenting the potential of other forces in the Galaxy which even they were leery of.

But food Replicator's and Transporters are a good start - of course that does not mean they did not have them but simply that they could not make them energy efficient enough to make use of them, so they are neither mentioned or used in Star Wars main stream cannon and that makes you correct.

I was tempted to joke and say EARTH but in a twist there was an authorized book which was later cancelled and only ever reached the concept stage.

www.sfwriter.com...

Technically this cancelled book would have been expanded universe and even then only on the fringe of that lore but being a cancelled book it is not cannon at all, still a curiosity with some interesting idea's

As for time travel, it may be possible in the star wars universe, the light side of the force itself is prescient and can allow a Jedi to avoid event's about to happen, block blaster fire with there sabers etc.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor
I'd have to say spirits, life after death, God(s) and the like. The Star Wars universe does seem rather atheistic in the sense that these topics aren't touched on much in the movies or original books. What happens to a Jedi when they have physical death? What about a Sith? Is there a Star Wars Heaven and Hell? If so, do they have the equivalent of cookie cutter God and villain Satan?

In The Empire Strikes Back this conversation takes place.

Some background character says to Han Solo
"Your tauntaun will freeze before you reach the first marker."

Han responds.
"Then I'll see you in hell!"

I think Star Wars is filled with religion. The whole concept of Dark Vs Light. Especially as like most human produced fiction it's all based on how we humans behave.

Darth Vader getting to be a Jedi ghost after decades of being a Sith because last minute redemption before death is very similar to Christianity and it's whole repenting of ones sins for a clean slate.

Heck I've always looked at the Franchise as "World War 2: Space Edition"

The Empire are clearly Nazi's, The Rebellion is the Allies and French Resistance, and the Jedi's are a warrior version of Catholic Monks.

See this in most sci-fi.

Aliens invading Earth, enslaving the population, killing, just to steal our resources.
It's in sci-fi not because that is what Aliens would do, but because that is what we humans would do.

We only have our human experiences to go by. It's very difficult for many, if not all of us to imagine something truly "alien".

Wonder if the Star Wars Universe life forms would be limited by the same 7 Basic Plots that we are?

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor

What's after 5G? I'll tell you; nothing much. You can't go faster than close to instantly, hardware allowing. What about 6G and 7G and.. no, sorry but it doesn't work that way.

Actually it does, because as you hit the limits of one tech format all new ones open up in the wake (of well all of the endless other ones before them).

SEE: Law of Accelerating Returns, Diffusion of Innovations, NBIC Convergence, Ubiquitous Technology, Artificial General Intelligence, Technological Singularity, etc... ... ...

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Sandwiches

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I didn't follow Star Wars beyond the first 3 movies and read none of the books. Dark and light are the two extremes of physics in the universe opposed to each other. Never any mention or prominence of dieties.

As for internet beyond 5G; theoretically sure. Realisticly, would it be worth the infrastructure and software costs? We see the hassle and the spook aound 5G, what it's capable of. Is there anything really marketable in the next decade that everyone will need that's faster? A whole new series of phones by all the manufacturers for a 6G in a few years?

That goes on forever until something replaces the smartphone? What would replace it do you think? Technology is exponential so it has to be something.
edit on 6/5/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 02:55 AM
link   
A coms badge or phone in the star wars universe you cant call someone. Oddly they have a severe lack of communications

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

No doubt!

The Internet would be scifi. Google God would be scifi. Adult Friend Finder would be scifi. TMZ would be scifi. American Idol would be scifi. Super Nintendo would be scifi.

Star Wars seems kind of silly now that we think about it. Actually, maybe not, no American Idol in The Star Wars Universe.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Let them watch The Matrix.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 03:57 AM
link   
SCIFIFI:

Original (EARTH UNIVERSE REALITY):

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 04:12 AM
link   

The same tech in our fictional sci-fi.

Just because Star Wars is more advanced than our civilization, doesn't mean we are not capable of imagining the scale of advancement that they would.

We can imagine, what the top of a building looks like, no matter which floor we are on.
edit on 5-6-2019 by Archivalist because: Better gwamma

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 04:15 AM
link   
He’s trying to make a machine that drains people of their midichlorians so he can use them but the midichlorians fade/die after he uses them once so he has to keep looking for more “supplies”

He’s building a machine to try and transfer his consciousness into other people/droids

He finds a way to enter a parallel universe that has never heard of the force

He finds a way to mechanically give himself force powers

He finds out that his universe isn’t real and only exists as a science fiction universe and he tries to break out of it into the real world

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Thought forms
the ability to bring forth into reality that which you wish, fashioned entirely by that which you imagine and will into existence...

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Walking through walls. But probably they would focus on social issues, the universe is brutal so I'd guess taming the wilderness would be an issue the settlers would be interested in. Terraforming. Linguistics, cracking the rule to understand every language.
And history as way to predict the future, like Asimov's Psychohistory

top topics

<<   2 >>

join