It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noa Pothoven of Arnhem in the Netherlands is legally euthanised

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So because *you* want the option, you're willing to live with a system that might be deeply flawed and make horrific mistakes, even to the point of allowing "suicides" for those who maybe shouldn't be allowed them?

It comes in many forms.

Another is the death penalty. Surely we all know not everyone who gets the needle did the crime.

We're human, any institutions we create will be a reflection of us, imperfect beings.
edit on 5-6-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I'm not sure the age thing matters to me as much as another fundamental element here. Don't get me wrong, the age element matters, but I believe there is a larger issue.

To me, the issue boils down to mental anguish versus physical pain and suffering. Now, I am not suggesting that mental anguish is not a real medical condition, but I have a hard time putting it in the category as a horrific injury, deadly disease or significant physical disability (whatever the cause, genetic, birth, etc.).

To me, the two are different in the respect that one is a clear and present affliction which is occurring in a real-time state, and the other is a mental image of something which happened in the past and is not occurring in a real-time state.

Just my .02

Bottom line...I don't think this euthanasia should have been allowed. Sad day.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

Not sure if this is the same woman...as

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But if it is....she chose her own death. I'm still confused but I believe it should be her right to choose life or death in this circumstance. None of us know what she went through mentally on a daily basis. Imagine if every time a door swung open you had a panic attack? What about hearing the sounds of laughter causing a breakdown?

What's the other choice? Medicate her into zombie land for the rest of her natual life?

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

While I can see where you're coming from on the collective morality and the fact that in some ways, as a tribe, we look out for one another...

Whether or not someone wants off the Rollercoaster isn't up to us. Theres only so much help we can offer to someone, and in the end it is their will, and their will alone that dictates how long they stay on the ride.

My opinion reads the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness means that their life is their choice. Their decision to end the pain is their liberty, and maybe that doesn't find them happiness, but sometimes peace is just as good.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: Xtrozero

Many people have killed themselves for far less.

This sort of experience is something quite common for people to have killed themselves over from pretty much the start of recorded history.

I'm amazed that on a website which claims to believe in people having a right to self determination, they're so against people wanting to get out of their suffering when nothing else helps.

True but not Government assisted. Maybe abortion clinics can also be suicide clinics, I'm sure there is money to be had.

edit on 5-6-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saiker
The strongest activist against such atrocities and every other bad thing that happens is the victim that refuses to lay down. Who knows how many lives and changes this girl could have advocated for so what happened to her didn't happen to the next.

The world is a big place and those whom stay in a place they cant escape are in a prison of their own making.

We are talking about an emotionally terrible event, but it is far from the worst thing that can happen to a person unless that is the narrative that was fed her. I don't think people worked on healing her as much as supporting her in a way to continually drive her to suicide.

Time heals much unless you do not want it healed or your support structure never stops poking wound created.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Here's a nice update, turns out euthanasia never happend. Noa informed about the possibility in 2018, but as expected, she did not qualify for assisted euthanasia. She got pain medication and stopped eating and drinking on her own accord.
Source

The original dutch article of june 2nd never mentioned euthanasia. Foreign media picked up the story june 4th and gave it their sensational twist. Like we have seen before when we crazy dutchies were killing senior citizens in care homes or some BS.
And heres the twist, it took one proper journalist by the name of Naomi O'Leary of Politico making one call to the author of the original dutch article to verify the was no euthanesia. All the while the rest could only be outraged by indignation

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

Source Business Insider -----Still very sad

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

The MSM trolled the whole World!! Imagine that!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

However, both the teen's Instagram account and Dutch media said she used her rights to stop eating and drinking and refuse medical treatment with the understanding of her parents and doctors that they would not try to force feed her.

n 2018, Pothoven released her biography Win or Learn, detailing her struggles with suicidal thoughts and depression after being sexually assaulted at 11 and then raped at 14. She had gone through extensive psychiatric treatment and survived several suicide attempts when she approached a euthanasia clinic in The Hague earlier in 2018, but the clinic refused to assist in her death.

At the time, she told De Gelderlander:"They think I'm too young to die. They think I should complete the trauma treatment and that my brain must first be fully grown. That lasts until you are 21. I'm devastated because I can't wait that long anymore."

Linky-poo

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   
No one has yet mentioned how she never completed the trauma therapy which is one reason out of a few why she was denied permission to undergo euthanasia?

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I'm not sure the age thing matters to me as much as another fundamental element here. Don't get me wrong, the age element matters, but I believe there is a larger issue.

To me, the issue boils down to mental anguish versus physical pain and suffering. Now, I am not suggesting that mental anguish is not a real medical condition, but I have a hard time putting it in the category as a horrific injury, deadly disease or significant physical disability (whatever the cause, genetic, birth, etc.).

To me, the two are different in the respect that one is a clear and present affliction which is occurring in a real-time state, and the other is a mental image of something which happened in the past and is not occurring in a real-time state.0

Just my .02

Mental anguish kills far more people than physical. Go look at how many vets in the US commit suicide. Just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t real.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It’s still suicide, it’s just a matter of how painful dying is.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   

She had her whole life ahead of her, but what might have happened it she'd grown up, got married, had a few kids, and then went back into depression due to her PTSD? She might have killed her husband and kids before killing herself. But it's her life, if she chose to be voluntarily aborted and there was nobody to stop her, then that's her call if she's too sick to continue. She was already slowly killing herself. It's sad, but maybe it was best for her. Who knows?

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Ahh yes, the whole life ahead of you argument. A lifetime of wishing you were dead every day, finding no joy or fulfillment in life, where each day is absolute misery. What a thing to look forward to.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

that is really sad!

I hope her soul is at rest now or at least in a better place without suffering.

I think people should legally be allowed to take their own lives, but I also think that every possible caring act , and support should be tried first before euthanasia .

Maybe it would help if the netherlands like many other countries had a more relaxed laws on psychoactive drugs to help in the treatment of depression and PTSD .

In the book , '___' the spirit molecule , one of the patients in the test , was a woman who had suffered abuse all of her life by her own family , and she couldnt maintain relationships or have partners, or even engage in sexual intercourse because the trauma was just too great.

She then took part in the '___' trials , and afterwards, she then reported she held stable relationships, trusted men again, and even got married and had kids.

I am not sure about this girl if her treatment included psycho active therapy

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Ahh yes, the whole life ahead of you argument. A lifetime of wishing you were dead every day, finding no joy or fulfillment in life, where each day is absolute misery. What a thing to look forward to.

I may be misreading your post here, but if I'm not then you didn't read past the first segment of my first sentence.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I read that part too, but I was just responding to that initial argument which you were also against.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 01:45 AM
link   
She killed herself by not eating and drinking. Medical staff can only do so much, they cannot force things (food) in her body. They did not actually do assisted suicide.
In Dutch media, the family gave a somewhat angry statement against all the international fake news around this.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   

To me, the two are different in the respect that one is a clear and present affliction which is occurring in a real-time state, and the other is a mental image of something which happened in the past and is not occurring in a real-time state.0

Just my .02

Mental anguish kills far more people than physical. Go look at how many vets in the US commit suicide. Just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t real.

I beg to differ, 'mental anguish' itself didn't kill them, something else did.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Just my .02

I beg to differ, 'mental anguish' itself didn't kill them, something else did.

Ok, then the gun they shoot themselves with killed them. Maybe you would rather ban guns so they can't do that?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join