It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noa Pothoven of Arnhem in the Netherlands is legally euthanised

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

That's no hyperbole. Have you ever given birth? That's exactly what is happening.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: DBCowboy
The only reason government is involved is because they made suicide illegal to begin with.

They have also regulated assisted suicide. They made themselves the arbiters of our own bodies.

Individuality, self-determination is paramount in any society that wants to call itself free.

Exactly right. If you don't have the right to choose when you leave the ship, you're not truly free at all.

I think the reason so many are shocked (as I am) and appalled, is because we are emotional creatures and there is an element of injustice. Especially with this specific issue.

Her rapists actually killed her.

She just took 3 years to finally die.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That's beautiful.
And it's coming from you?!

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Reread my post again....slowly.....I know people who suffer from heavy depression.

It's their and their families decision.

Their families decision? How is the "family" any different than the "State". You either give people complete autonomy or you dont.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Except in this case, we're not talking about freedom or liberty.

You want to think she made her choice, but did she?

1. If she is that mentally messed up, how you do know she was mentally fit to make the choice herself?

2. How many layers of government assistance did she have to go through to make that choice?

So, if we don't know if she was mentally fit enough to really make the choice for herself, then how do we know it was she and not the state who decided for her?

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

The only reason government is involved is because they made suicide illegal to begin with.

They have also regulated assisted suicide. They made themselves the arbiters of our own bodies.

Individuality, self-determination is paramount in any society that wants to call itself free.

Exactly right. If you don't have the right to choose when you leave the ship, you're not truly free at all.

I think the reason so many are shocked (as I am) and appalled, is because we are emotional creatures and there is an element of injustice. Especially with this specific issue.

Her rapists actually killed her.

She just took 3 years to finally die.

I know, and that's a poetic way of describing soul death, too. Sad, but poetic.

But it pisses me off to no end how we view human pain and suffering, versus our pets. We'd never, ever make our beloved pets live through terminal diseases if we can give them the compassion of euthanizing them before it gets really bad. Grandma Ethel on the other hand? She can die naturally, all the pain and suffering in the world isn't enough to make assisted suicide anything but evil. But Fido's leukemia does, How f#d up is that? Very. it's very f#d up. We put the pain & suffering of our pets over our loved ones. We can't be bothered to treat them as humanely as we do the family DOG.

I'm not even going to get into the freedom of choice end, as much as I'd like to see people eventually respect eachother's choices enough to go that route. If nothing else, we need to offer our dying the same humane choices we offer Fido and Fluffy. Otherwise, we really don't care at all about them, and it's just another layer of control over people.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

She wasn't so mental that she couldn't be on Instagram or write a book apparently - This was a gross in justice from my brief research it was like she was enjoying the publicity .

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   

She was under 18 at least her parents should have some say in this matter don't you think?
Besides all the "they're all heartless monster and want to kill their child because it doesn't function right" hysteria in normal families parents love their child.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Because there is a difference between trauma and inherited mental illness. She was actually very intelligent and determined. Because writing a book is like writing a testament, if you think about how much you want to die, how you can't trust anybody (that means complete isolation), all the medicine you get and the therapy you try it doesn't go away. It defined everything you do, but you're "normal" being "crazy" would be easier. Trauma leaves an imprint. On the strongest.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Mental illness is no bar.

You could also add Sylvia Plath who wrote "The Bell Jar".

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   

You're the one calling a human life a watermelon...so don't try to take the moral high ground. You're choice of words tell me much about your maturity when it comes to these serious topics.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: Blaine91555

...says someone who never considered the horrors of available methods for unassisted suicide. Netherlands is not the US she couldn't have just shot herself.

Nonsense. There are multitudes of simple, even painless ways to do so.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

People that suffer do have moments of clarity and can surprise you.

Why are you judging her based on whether she can use social media?

Now I dont know enough as to whether or not she was swayed in her thinking by others.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   

reread my post, in context.

Their families decision? How is the "family" any different than the "State". You either give people complete autonomy or you dont.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Who's profiting from Her book now that it will sell a whole bunch of copy's ?

"Prior to her death, Noa wrote an autobiography, entitled, “Winning or Learning,” which deals with her traumatic experiences of being assaulted twice, then ultimately raped."

This all stinks .

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I think a terminal patient in agony and near death is an entirely different topic. They are beyond help and I tend to agree at that point, in that situation, handing over control of the morphine drip to the patient is entirely justified.

A 17 year old though? Still 7 or 8 years away from having full critical thinking skills and still dealing with raging hormones? Sanctioned by the State?

How far is it from that to euthanizing newborns because the State determines their quality of life justifies it in their opinion?

I grew up often seeing a cousin who was a thalidomide baby, born with no arms or legs. She went on to become a teacher, had children and had a happy life with a loving husband. People have an amazing ability to do well and be happy in difficult situations and we have a remarkable ability to heal over time with the right help. 17 is in no way old enough to make a life ending decision.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Not a bar for creativity but I still believe there is a difference in how much they are capable of making rational decisions at all times in comparison to traumatised people.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Like what?

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   

She was not 18 yet. Even if you marry under that age you need your parents approval.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Let's not turn this into a how to thread. I'm sure everyone reading can work that out on their own.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join