It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Canned some Brussel Sprouts!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Those sprouts are gonna give you gas!

I have 3 cases of my grandmothers blue glass half gallon Mason jars from the early 1900s. They are gorgeous!

My gardens are just beginning to produce this year. I have ripe green beans, and Yukon potatoes to dig. The cherry tomatoes are loaded, but not ripe yet. No peppers yet.

Im an all grain advanced brewer. I have a 30 gallon brewery in my garage. Cases of bottles and 3 five gallon stainless kegs, and 2- CO2 tanks
The veggies with curry sounds awesome!

You brew too... I knew I liked you for a reason!

I make a Montana white wheat lager in a 7 point that is rather amazing,,, I have yet to grow my own hops though..

We'll have to get together on the alcohol side of things.

Mostly I do berry wines because I have a lot of free elderberry and chokecherry and huckleberry up here.

ACK... Ms. Derailing here!!!

The birds are getting all of my Boysen berries
otherwise Id make some wine too. Ive made all styles of beer, and was growing my own hops too. Everyone loved my raspberry stout

Yeah, we have several things in common. I like both you, and Flying clay a bunch, and cowboy too!

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Those sprouts are gonna give you gas!

I have 3 cases of my grandmothers blue glass half gallon Mason jars from the early 1900s. They are gorgeous!

My gardens are just beginning to produce this year. I have ripe green beans, and Yukon potatoes to dig. The cherry tomatoes are loaded, but not ripe yet. No peppers yet.

Im an all grain advanced brewer. I have a 30 gallon brewery in my garage. Cases of bottles and 3 five gallon stainless kegs, and 2- CO2 tanks
The veggies with curry sounds awesome!

You brew too... I knew I liked you for a reason!

I make a Montana white wheat lager in a 7 point that is rather amazing,,, I have yet to grow my own hops though..

We'll have to get together on the alcohol side of things.

Mostly I do berry wines because I have a lot of free elderberry and chokecherry and huckleberry up here.

ACK... Ms. Derailing here!!!

The birds are getting all of my Boysen berries
otherwise Id make some wine too. Ive made all styles of beer, and was growing my own hops too. Everyone loved my raspberry stout

Yeah, we have several things in common. I like both you, and Flying clay a bunch, and cowboy too!

FCD posted a thread about canning and I'm SOOOO ready for this season it's not funny.

He canned before me... the bastard!!!!

There is a certain sense of just "everything is right in the world" when the work is done, the pressure cooker is done, the cans are sitting there, the sun is down and you just relax....

And listen to the "pop pop pop".

It's knowing that you preserved something that you took all the effort to plant, cultivate, weed, water, harvest, process, can.

The little "pop" that you know will give you a taste sensation in February when everything is dead outside.

It's a little bit of heaven.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I apologize for derailing your thread with fish.

You canned before I could.

Bastard.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I never had canned brussel sprouts, I wonder what texture they would have when canned. I would guess that it would be mushy like canned asparagus is.

I do like adding cauliflower and Brussels sprouts to hot pickled eggs. I use both banana peppers and chilies and sometimes Habinaros when I make those. I have my own special recipe for the pickling mix. brussels sprouts are pretty decent pickled.

How do canned baby brussels taste?

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Did you grow your own Brussel Sprouts?

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

These are basically pickled brussel sprouts. Water, vinegar, pickling salt, garlic and mustard seed.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

No worries!

You're all good.

The fish sideline was very interesting.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp
Do the pickled hops have a coarse texture?
I have never eaten them, but from handling hops off the vine, they seem like they would be coarse and fibrous.

The canned fish... I have never canned them, but I am told that the bones go soft in the canning process, so you don't have to filet them before canning.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

The honey and garlic works on wounds as well.I have
been applying this mixture on my husband's dressings
and it's amazing.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I hope you enjoy the Brussell Sprouts. Pickled or not, I can't eat them. But I love doing a pickled mix of beets, cauliflower, mini pickles, garlic and carrots.
Glad to see someone else enjoying canning again here!

I can and will can about anything I will eat. I can salmon every year, and even do bacon.
I make my own sauerkraut too, which has been fun.
Can't wait for the garden to take off. We have just had too dang much rain so far.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: rickymouse

These are basically pickled brussel sprouts. Water, vinegar, pickling salt, garlic and mustard seed.

Aaahhh. Yeah, pickled brussel sprouts are really good, so is pickled asparagus. I was thinking they were just regular canned ones.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

An Indian fisherman I knew used to can smoked fish. He did smoked whitefish mostly. It was the best canned fish I ever tasted. He charged three fifty a pint for it, mostly meat with some juice.

The guy went and died though, I lost my supplier of fresh fish, smoked fish, and both the canned smoke fish and pickled whitefish. His wife is still alive and her son was going to take over his spot, but never did yet. I miss getting trout, whitefish, and salmon right from the shore, it only costed a buck and a half a pound for whole fish.

He was allowed to take one Sturgeon a year and I had some of his smoked sturgeon, he was not allowed to sell that but could give it to people he knew. I never tasted anything so good as that in my lifetime.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
My Man Bayou Bill Scifres on canning bluegills. Too small to keep? Pshaw. Get those undersized 'gills out of your favorite pond and enjoy.

Bayou Bill used to write the outdoor column in the local paper. Now he's gone, and the paper sucks. Not just because he left though.

He also did this with suckers caught in the river in late winter/early spring. Makes the bone removal virtually unnecessary which is good, because you really can't fillet a sucker and the damn things are full of bones.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I was trying to figure out what texture I can compare them to all day. It never came to me.
The rough spiky stems or stalks, turns rather soft. Also you remove the actual hops themselves, it's more of a byproduct, otherwise it would be super bitter and sour.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join