It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portishead.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I first heard of this band back in the early 90's. A friend of mine went to university at Bristol uni' where he'd heard this band play, and decided me, and my mates back in the midlands needed to hear them. A few of us would travel down to Bristol Uni to visit, get drunk, party and eat kebabs amongst other things I won't mention on here. I just came across there album whilst having a clean out of a drawer and gave it play. They got the name of the band from the area near Bristol they came from.

This is a BBC Radio 1 essential mix of some of there stuff.

And this is them live at Glastonbury in 2013

Thanks for listening!

edit on 3-6-2019 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
You can't list off songs from portishead without including Biscuit. You have failed.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Love Portishead.

Check out... "All Mine".

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

I missed out a few from the list, sorry. I was hoping people would listen, become interested listeners and go and find more to listen to and become fans!! Trip hop, those where the days along with the crazy raves but the least said about those the better.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: elevatedone
Love Portishead.

Check out... "All Mine".

Just for you. Mysterons was my favourite Portishead track or Glory box, I need to flip a coin, I cant decide.

I need to dig out more of the albums that are gathering dust.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

One of the best bands ever.

For sure in my personal top 5.

Does anybody know of any bands that are similar in music style?

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Did you know the chorus of wandering stars is a bible verse?

Jude 1:13 13They are wild waves of the sea, foaming up their shame; wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Bump. PH is godlike.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

There are is nothing as dark as Portishead. But they fall into the "Trip Hop" genre. My favorites are Zero 7, Sneaker Pimps, Air, Moorcheeba, Phantogram, Hooverphonic, Massive Attack and Emiliana Torrini.

That should get you started.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Sneaker Pimps had a similar vibe though without the depth of Portishead .
A similar comparison to how Gravity Kills was sort of like Stabbing Westward.
Anyway, Sneaker Pimps had one big hit which was 6 Underground

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

One of my favorites. I'm always trying to introduce people to trip hop. Speaking of which, are you a fan of Thievery Corporation?

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Did you know the chorus of wandering stars is a bible verse?

Jude 1:13 13They are wild waves of the sea, foaming up their shame; wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever.

I didn't know this. Thanks for the info. You learn something new every day.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I think ATS member Galaga gave you a good selection to check out, but I'd also checkout Aphex twin and Faithless, they should really have there own thread, some real classic hip hop.
Here's a few form Aphex twin....

Warning, this is a very weird video, but it is a music video.

Here's a few from Faithless.....

And this is Underworld (of train spotting fame)

edit on 4-6-2019 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check them out!

ETA...

Love the reggae vibe, Don't know how I've missed these, so again thanks for the suggestion, If I could give you more stars I would!!

edit on 4-6-2019 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Tell me what you think of Aphex twin and Faithless are just awesome to listen to.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Sneaker Pimps actually had Six Underground and Spin, Spin Sugar. They broke up IIRC because the singer (who was not a founding member) was getting too much attention.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Love Aphex Twin but only vaguely remember Faithless. I went through an electronica phase a while back, lots of Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers etc.

Ever heard God Lives Underwater? One of the duo unfortunately died of a heroin overdose but they put out a couple albums and I was a big fan.

They had a couple other singles that got play back in the day that might be more recognizable:

I'll still rock it today, it's good driving music. I'll post a few more trip hop vids in another post.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Lamb is still making music, this is an oldie tho:

Hooverphonic (another oldie, super chill):

I'm sure you know Massive Attack? Along with Portishead and Tricky, they were the pioneers of Trip Hop.

So good. That's Hope Sandoval on vocals btw, singer from Mazzy Star. Speaking of which, there's Zero 7 who most people wouldn't know, though many would know their former collaborator Sia (this song's actually featuring Sophie Barker):

Who else? There's Air (did the soundtrack for the movie The Virgin Suicides which had songs you might recognize), oh and let's not pass up Handsome Boy Modeling School. That's Dan the Automater and Del the Funky Homo Sapien. They had a falling out over money unfortunately but they put out some good #, featuring a lot of cool ppl. This is featuring Brand Nubians (Grand Puba & Sadat X):

I could keep going? There's Moloko (songs: The Time Is Now, Fun For Me, Sing it Back), Air (they did the soundtrack for The Virgin Suicides, which had a memorable song Playground Love), Mike Patton (singer, Faith No More) did a trip hop album as Lovage (check Stroker Ace and Book of the Month), Morcheeba (check Trigger Hippie, The Sea), Herbaliser (check The Blend ft Jean Grae), Tricky of course (if you don't know), Bjork I would definitely classify as Trip Hop.

Sorry if I'm overwhelming, I wasn't joking when I said I like to proselytize trip hop lol. I'm planning tentatively to see Thievery Corporation in NYC in a few months. Psyched about that.
edit on 2019-6-4 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I was just rereading some of these posts. You're lucky you were there at the beginning in Bristol! What did you think of Third? It was a bit of a letdown for me except for The Rip, which has btw been covered a gazillion times if you check YT.

one of the better covers, in Romanian:

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: galaga

We should be friends.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join