It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ducks are cuter than puppies!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Has anyone here had a duck for a roommate before??

I just did some looking into ducks as pets and I am pretty amazed, I didn't realize ducks were this domesticated and cool.
They are cute as hell and very high on the adorable scale, I mean how could someone not want to rub their heads and give them a hug??

From what I read, you can't get one because the duck will be lonely, a pimps ...I mean a ducks life is hard and they need companionship because only another pimp...I mean a duck, knows another duck.

They are way cuter than puppies!!

Does anyone have any experience with these cool creatures as a pet??

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

My only thoughts on this are...

If you look up duck mating habits, you will find out that they are among the only species that practice homosexual necrophilia, their penises fall off for the winter and the rest I can't even post because T&C.

However, ducks do taste better than puppies when cooked right, so there is that.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

My dad had a pet duck when he was a kid. He spoke of it often when I was growing up...and remembered it all his life.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I just did some looking into ducks as pets and I am pretty amazed, I didn't realize ducks were this domesticated and cool.
They are cute as hell and very high on the adorable scale, I mean how could someone not want to rub their heads and give them a hug??

From what I read, you can't get one because the duck will be lonely, a pimps ...I mean a ducks life is hard and they need companionship because only another pimp...I mean a duck, knows another duck.

Does anyone have any experience with these cool creatures as a pet??

I am disappointed by lack of cute quacker pics in this thread.

If you are going to make outrageous claims at least provide some pictorial proof.
As a moderator I feel you should know better, if some sort of proof isn’t posted soon can another mod please move this to the “ludicrous online lies” forum
edit on 2/6/2019 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Having seen two male ducks doing stuff I can't describe because of t&cs and decency to a third, dead, duck; I can tell you that they can be very far from cute.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Stories like that are why I am considering it.

I guess they are very cool companions and are very smart....dogs eat your food and look at you like you're the crazy one.
Ducks might actually be better friends....and are cuter.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
We raise ducks... we have 14 right now.

Duck eggs are phenomenal; they have a richer taste than chicken eggs.

Ducks are, however, incredibly messy... we got 4 new ducklings this spring, it was so cold that we had to keep them inside for the first 6 weeks. Blech. There is no other word that fits.

My ducks are my favorites. They are absolutely hilarious to watch. Our 2 oldest quack-heads (we got them 5 years ago) have befriended our billy goat... the three hang out together all day.

As much as I love my quack-heads... I'm not keeping an adult duck in the house.

(Edit to add: We have two ducklings in the house at the moment, buy they are less than a week old and still need the heat lamp. They are so cute, but they are headed outside very soon. I love the stupid things, but I cannot stress this enough... they are incredibly messy. Nasty, even...)
edit on 2-6-2019 by madmac5150 because: Blech!

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

How dare me make a thread and have an opinion like everyone else right??

So, have you ever had a duck?
Do you have anything to offer??

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Have you ever seen ducks during mating season?

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

I heard they poop a lot which is expected....i imagine it is like a budgie on steroids though.

Can you give me the detailed lowdown on what to expect if I go this route??

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Have you ever seen humans, dogs, rabbits, moose or pigs during mating season??

edit on 2-6-2019 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

How dare me make a thread and have an opinion like everyone else right??

So, have you ever had a duck?
Do you have anything to offer??

Yes

Post cute quacker pics
If you don’t I’m having Peking duck for lunch

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

No.
Post your own pics and go eat a duck...find something else better to do then troll me.

edit on 2-6-2019 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I had a pet duck named Fred, once he matured we returned him to duck pond, he was an injured orphan when we got him.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I can't help with the sexual issues of ducks; however, I might be able to help with the messy bit?

So I occasionally watch videos from this homesteading family, and they had an emu chick in the house for a time, and it was messy. So they improvised some diapers for it. Perhaps with some ingenuity, you could adapt this idea for your duck buddy?

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I heard they poop a lot which is expected....i imagine it is like a budgie on steroids though.

They are waterfowl. They need a lot of water as they eat, and they spray a mixture of the two all over the place... they spray water everywhere when they drink. They crap everywhere (especially IN their drinking water, just as in nature); the mix of quack-ling turds, water and food begins to reek very quickly.

We change out their bedding daily, and it still stinks. We will start them in the bathtub for an hour a day once they are about 10 days old, and it does help keep them much cleaner. You will want to clean the tub afterward...

(Duckling in old tub)

We will move these guys outside, as soon as they start to feather up. That can take two or three weeks, but depends on the breed and the weather.

At this point... they are teenagers. Get them out of the house, or slowly lose your sanity...

edit on 2-6-2019 by madmac5150 because: Tub duckling added for cute points

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Double post. Bottom of the hour... so I will use the empty space.

We have a creek on the property that runs in the spring. They love it. That is now dry, so we keep several plastic kiddy pools filled at all times. Those get cleaned quite often. We will get feeder goldfish at the pet store from time to time, release them in the pools, and watch the fun begin... they will spend the entire afternoon fishing.

When they start laying in the spring, we supplement their feed with sardines. They love them, and the calcium in the fish bones makes for great eggs. They get "quack-head treats" which is very high quality, dry catfood. (Our chickens get basically the same treats... we get phenomenal eggs from both)

We raised our ducks with our chickens, and haven't had any cross-species tension. The roosters keep the hens in line, and the ducks keep the roosters in line... (we have one turkey we are raising this year, that is one really confused bird at this point...)

Hope that helps!

edit on 2-6-2019 by madmac5150 because: Double double

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

They are waterfowl. They need a lot of water as they eat, and they spray a mixture of the two all over the place... they spray water everywhere when the drink. They crap everywhere (especially IN their drinking water, just as in nature); the mix of quack-ling turds, water and food begins to reek very quickly.

We change out their bedding daily, and it still stinks. We will start them in the bathtub for an hour a day once they are about 10 days old, and it does help keep them much cleaner. You will want to clean the tub afterward... We will move these guys outside, as soon as they start to feather up. That can take two or three weeks, but depends on the breed and the weather.

At this point... they are teenagers. Get them out of the house, or slowly lose your sanity...

A sorta related question....

Do your outside ducks act as security as well?

I remember when I was in Germany that they patrolled their outer perimeter with geese.

Are ducks territorial also and are they useful that way?

I'm waffling between getting ducks (we have a pond for them and I LOVE duck eggs) or quail (I really like them as well, eggs and meat) but have been thinking about the different aspects of both.

Both are pretty good at pest control, I've heard.

Any thoughts?

ETA.. poor damn turkey!

edit on 2-6-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Puppies #1
Goats #2
Kittens #3
Ducks #4.

Sorry, but have had puppies kittens and baby goats. Ducks are cute though.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I came here for Duck Pics.

<<   2  3 >>

join