It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s tariffs are equivalent to one of the largest tax increases in decades

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus
Japanese buy all their own manufacture stuff.

The last full year of data has Japan importing $670billion in goods. Granted, they ran a slight surplus but previous years saw them with deficits.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus
Japanese buy all their own manufacture stuff.

The last full year of data has Japan importing $670billion in goods. Granted, they ran a slight surplus but previous years saw them with deficits.
Well I didn’t check it since that Econ class. It’s still printed in my textbook though ☺️
Actually that might have been the technology and culture course. We were also told that Japan had a declining birth rate and that they were struggling to care for the elderly etc. I walked into that class one day with a venti latte from
Starbucks with vanilla and my professor asked me if I cared about corporations practicing good social responsibility. I told him it mattered that Starbucks had a good product. At that time Starbucks was featuring CDs of Samantha and the Bee. I suspect me meant something like children slaving in the coffee plantations in Kenya or Columbia. Today I would say yah it matters but I wish they would stop all their virtue signaling and telling us they will stop production in places where they have enacted pro life legislation. And I can really do without all the Orange man bad stuff. Oh yah and I’ve been boycotting Starbucks for a year now.
(Even my professor was imported from Canada)
edit on 3-6-2019 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

I buy as much of the electronic type stuff that I need second hand at yard sales, Ebay, or Craigslist ... letting someone else take the 'hit'.

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
"Trump's tax cuts are increasing the deficit! We need higher taxes and more revenue!"

Also:
"I oppose Trump tariffs because they are just new taxes".

I mean, both positions are willfully ignorant of a bigger picture, but neither is consistent with the other anyway.

First, runaway spending is a bigger problem than revenue. After the tax cuts, we got record revenue levels. Second, if the only thing tariffs do is tax consumers (an entirely discretionary tax-- no one makes you buy plastic or clothing or anything else made in China, for example), then why are Mexico and China disturbed by tariffs? If that is the only consequence of tariffs, those countries would just shrug their shoulders and move on. Instead we see China raising it's own (already high) tariffs. I guess they just forgot all the "free trade" talking points? They just prefer to tax their own citizens for no reason at all?
edit on 3-6-2019 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
Tariffs bad because they are essentially a consumer tax on the American people and businesses.... ok

Tariffs bad because other countries will impose retaliatory tariffs on American products; hurting American businesses... ok

If American tariffs only hurt American businesses and people because it is a pass through tax ... how is it that foreign tariffs also hurt American Businesses.... why don't they pass those costs onto the foreign consumer?

Exactly! Every other country is allowed to protect their economies, and we're supposed to bend over and take it for everyone else.

If tariffs cannot be beneficial, why did the EU form to create a giant protectionist bloc? Why is China raising tariffs even higher? Why do other countries complain when we raise tariffs to reciprocal levels if it only hurts consumers and has no benefit to the countries involved?

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Interestingly the vast majority of each tariff has been absorbed directly by china because they don't want to risk manufacturing relocating.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Sadly, you are wasting your time. The MAGA clowns arent interested in, or smart enough to understand, facts and reality. They are completely and utterly brainwashed, thoughtless, and incapable of independent thought.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Maroboduus

Says the people echoing empty talking points they heard from a talking head on television...

<< 4  5  6   >>

join