It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s tariffs are equivalent to one of the largest tax increases in decades

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

There is little to no influence of where all our products come from. Our goods economy is primarily Chineese provided. Like it or not

All the box stores sell China crap. 10-15% tarriffs(federal pre-sales tax) will not be enough to disrupt mfgr sources.

Let's be real and call the tarriffs what they are.

A bs front end sales tax of 10-15% +/- sold to citizens wrapped in a flag(made in China)

This is another giant gov cash grab.

The amount is kept low to pass the cost to consumers and intentionally not disrupt mfgr operations.

Funny thing, I buy from England, France, Germany, India, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Australia, etc, no tariffs. Hmmm, I must just be Wong lol.

Did you know there are even these things called middlemen, that rebrand and buy at Yuge discount so the can sell at same original price as China manufacturer?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Tariffs bad because they are essentially a consumer tax on the American people and businesses.... ok

Tariffs bad because other countries will impose retaliatory tariffs on American products; hurting American businesses... ok

If American tariffs only hurt American businesses and people because it is a pass through tax ... how is it that foreign tariffs also hurt American Businesses.... why don't they pass those costs onto the foreign consumer?

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

The tariffs are to encourage American companies to stop using so much foreign dirt cheap labor .
Yes it creates revenue for government paid for by people willing to pay extra for those goods.

For years people in Congress have been pissing money into wind on useless schemes like a few years back before Trump was in office they paid 3 million dollars to determine which type of wine is best with beef. Why on earth would they waste money on such useless info most poor Americans do not even drink wine period out of several thousand people I have known over my 48 years maybe 5 drink wine on a regular basis, 80 percent drink beer ,90 percent drink soda , and 20 percent drink water out of bottle.. by these tariffs bringing in revenue it is a good thing because not everyone is going to be paying for this stuff only people willing to pay extra so it's not a tax because taxes are not voluntary. Tariffs are also levied against countries that are charging tariffs in the extreme on some of our goods.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: tribal
I want to know why so many Americans admit we are being ruined by consumerism but then get upset at the very mechanisms which make that consumerism possible, namely cheap toxic garbage manufactured by slave labor in other countries.

Please enlighten me.
A little like how the Occupy Wall Street were protesting Wall Street and Capitalism while texting on their iPhones and ordering pizza from accounts paid for by Soros funded sources. So many were young kids programmed to hate Capitalism yet had all the amenities provided by Capitalist mechanisms. I can’t wait till they try to order pizza through their local dmv /pizza/post office/healthcare govt collective. And while they were camping out in Zucotti Park( a privately owned park) they had al the same signs as the homeless tent cities in California ... dirty needles rape diseases etc.
edit on 1-6-2019 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 04:01 AM
link   

At least someone else is paying,most of whore deals sell us out,these enviro bills pretty much sold out natl parks,taxpayers pay tax,seems no one else does

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

Hi Up. May I tell you this?
I, and really who am I to criticize, find this kind of post invaluable. Indeed, I find it counter productive. Mostly I base this opinion on my negative reactions whenever a conservative makes this kind of ''predictive'' post proclaiming their knowledge of how the ''lefties'' will respond.

My sense of this is that it categorizes people into those two groups we all are being lead to believe are monolithic.
When I see this from conservatives after I have read an OP that I think deserves consideration and then it is followed by the ''here come the lefties'', I quite often get defensive and then do not give the OP the reflection it might deserve on it's own merits. Can you see my thinking here?

And while I agree that from recent tendencies in pro Trumpian posts that what you suggest will be, will be, I still find this kind of prediction of others behavior to be an ineffective if not counter productive addition to all threads. It only adds to antagonisms. AND ITS

Not that I have not done it myself in the past............

a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Hi Terry, my apologies for lowering myself to the level of many other posts on this once intelligent website, ever since the advent of politics coming to ATS it has been a tortuous slow decline to hell.

I mean if my response is deemed invaluable what is your opinion of people who revel in death of the opposition

Man Who Set Himself on Fire Near the White House Dies From Injuries

or ATS moderators, using buzz words from any rightwing website including hitler, madness, brown shirts all in less than 2 paragraphs

but yeah my one post is what broke the camels back, my apologies
, I appreciate you telling me
, please dont see this response as a jibe back at you

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Well, all I gotta add is that if these tariffs are effectively a 'tax', then at least they are only paid by the less-patriotic Americans who buy their goods from overseas.

I cannot think of a BETTER group of people to tax, and further: these people select themselves, which is even more elegant!

Give us more taxes like this!!

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

So none of your family own an Xbox, playstation, smart phone, television etc, and you check each component has been manufactured in the US before purchase otherwise you are deemed un patriotic? And you are going to declare that everything you own is manufactured in the states

Why is it you guys have so much deep rooted hate for each other, its beyond left and right and its like you have been prorammed to despise each other.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

please dont see this response as a jibe back at you

I didn't even for a moment. And I don't think that you have ''lowered yourself to the standards of so many other posters'' rather that the style here now drags us down into it's jungle of eat or be eaten. And that to my mind is precisely the mentality that Trump inspires in his supporters.

In following your second link I read the post and then your reply

Man us non US love watching critical thinking at all levels , I mean its not like Trump and his team could not be using the same type of propaganda to inspire there own support, TDS sounds like it fits the bill for both sides of the US political spectrum, you either have TDS because you despise him or you have TDS because you blindly follow every word he says.

I find this one of the most interesting things about listening to Trumpians on this site and was going to point this out in my reply here only to find that you and I assume others can see it clearly already. In a way I agree with them about the political left in that I can see it as well. But what astounds me is a Trumpian inability to see it in themselves, you know?
It seems a severe case of the mote in another''s eye and the log in one's own. And rather than noticing the log in ones own eye, they turn that mote in the other's eye into not only a log, but even into a whole tree and in some cases as your link demonstrates into a whole #ing forest.

PS. How do you link to ''specific'' posts as you did. I know how to link to a page but not to a specific post.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

if you wish to link to a post,in the post is a small 'link' tab,near quote and reply, when you click that, your address bar will update, copy from address bar then and paste into your own post

I have picked a random post of yours of how my brain thinks when i see ATS front page these days with naught a UFO or alien in sight

Stay sane my friend

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Why we have plenty of paper mills here in us do you import Chinese butt paper?
And truly all here is doing is same thing other countries do to use do not think our goods have not had tariffs on them for decades because they have. Nafta was one of the worst trade agreements we ever had and thankfully Trump killed obummos tpp agreement first or second day in office because if he had not we likely would have been screwed again.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   

So you're admitting corporations don't pay taxes so we should change the corporate tax rate to zero, right?

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

🚩 Hooray for our side....uhhhhh

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

🚩 Hooray for our side....uhhhhh

Well both sides lose from this mess, I think hooray for corporations and the ruling class seems more appropriate.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Just because you can't avoid made in china 100% does not mean you can not and should not avoid it as much as possible.

The fact you can't avoid tells you there is a serious problem that needs to be addressed, right?

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Fun fact, 'made in china' stickers are actually made mostly in korea and taiwan.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Nope I only use F35's or F22's for my information,communications, all else is foreign born

Make the B-21 American electronics.... er

B-2, an all American, yeah, thats the ticket.... 🧿🧩🥇

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Tariffs don't really hurt America. Tell me what you paid that hurt your pocket books. First of all, you can triple prices of avocados, and Apples, no one would care. Also, there are many cars not made in Mexico, so it won't matter because people will buy alternatives. In the end, America wins, the only doomsayers are those he are anti America First. They want globalism and a corporate world government, so they will fear monger all day long. America will always win because we consume the most. No one can touch us in any trade wars.
edit on 2-6-2019 by ambassado12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   
So shouldn't dems love this? I for one think you are confusing revenue with taxation of civilians, but regardless why would the dems fight this?

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

So none of your family own an Xbox, playstation, smart phone, television etc, and you check each component has been manufactured in the US before purchase otherwise you are deemed un patriotic? And you are going to declare that everything you own is manufactured in the states

Why is it you guys have so much deep rooted hate for each other, its beyond left and right and its like you have been prorammed to despise each other.

Japanese buy all their own manufactured stuff. They pay the price for it too. Americans be like... who needs the jobs we just want cheap stuff... but mainly because it’s gone overseas. Even tech support. Very sad and Trump is trying to fix the ... imbalance.... and all he gets is criticism. I was talking about the trade imbalance with China in Econ class way back in 2006 or so. My professor was duly impressed.
edit on 3-6-2019 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join