It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s tariffs are equivalent to one of the largest tax increases in decades

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe
Imo
It will boil down to a small 10-15% increase in product price. The price increase is lower than costs to build a factory and hire people, or even take the time to setup a new mfgr source in another 3rd world country.
It's been kept low on purpose imo, as to not change the product source a create revenue for the gov.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Mandroid7

Don't buy Made in China.

As you type on your china device?

Brilliant

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

....And is Having Little or No Negative Effect on our Economy or any Present Increase of Inflation because of them . A WIN -WIN for the President , and Yes he Is SMARTER than All you A Holes Out there Give him Credit for ......

GOD BLESS AMERICAN FAIR CAPITALISM !
edit on 1-6-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I want to know why so many Americans admit we are being ruined by consumerism but then get upset at the very mechanisms which make that consumerism possible, namely cheap toxic garbage manufactured by slave labor in other countries.

Please enlighten me.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: tribal

Simple Solution . Buy American Made Goods supported by Union Labor and Pay a Little More as a Patriotic Gesture to your Country . If Not , Move the Hell to Canada then .............

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Just vote for Biden.

I hear The Biden's luv China.

^_^

But lets be real.

# CHINA.

I can't wait for China's social media rating system where it can affect your credit, job etc.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

You could always refuse to buy Chinese products.
See? Easy.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Why not just buy goods not made in china then? Avoid those taxes...

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

I only support union labor when the person has a choice whether they join the union.

I love the idea behind the union, but find the current form of it far too corrupt and unAmerican. It also fosters an us vs them climate that ensures the continuing status quo of businesses working against their employees as a necessary means of survival.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Comical reading the replies that pretty much amount to cheering on paying more for goods and services as winning, this really is devolution in all its glory.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

You think China having a hand gripping our throat is winning? Sometimes it's painful making a change, it doesn't mean that change isn't needed.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Mandroid7

Don't buy Made in China.

Indulge us -- what kind of device are you using to post with, and where was it made?

Might want to dial back the slant a touch when you're using Chinese-manufactured & assembled electronics to rant with.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Thank you for highlighting the problem. Unfair trade practices have made it virtually impossible to avoid all made in China. Many of my computer parts are made in Taiwan, not China.

Exactly why we need to change the status quo. You think it is in America's interest to allow China to control markets through their trade practices? I will gladly pay an extra $20 for my next PC to assist with that.
edit on 1-6-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   
All the arguing over tariffs doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. US policy is screwed up in hundreds of ways. US debt rises at 2 million a minute. The country is headed for ruin and it isn't even slowing down, National debt is at 22 trillion, foreign countries own 6.5 trillion of that debt. On the total debt the US has paid over 3 trillion just in interest and the deficit is growing by a million about every 4 minutes.

It simply isn't sustainable.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

And it will never change because it's a career killer for politicians. It will require significant reductions in entitlement spending. So if you support it you will get voted out and the next AOC will be voted in to double that spending.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

We've already established rather well that tariffs are passed on to the consumer, and that's who gets bent over without lube. Does it hurt the everyday Chinese person's bottom line in the same manner it hurts the everyday American's? Their CoL is not the same as ours, their value of items and labor is different, and our dollars and their yuan stretch & contract differently.

Money is money. It matters not if it's called a dollar or a yuan. The only difference economically between us and China is that we have a higher standard of living and less government control.

Tariffs are tariffs. Money is money. Economics is economics. Using a different name for currency is not a reason to think things don't work the same way.

To have my (from China) stepmother explain it, "American goods have high tariffs in China, but are still cheap luxuries. Low-end Chinese goods in America have low tariffs, but cost a lot." That's the crux of it -- affordability in the respective countries. The higher the tariffs here when it's already a struggling camel, it won't take many more straws to break the back. Chinese consumers have a WAYS to go yet before that.

To someone making a Chinese wage, yes, their products here probably seem terribly expensive. So do American products. The last time I was in New York, I thought I might pass out from sticker shock. The difference is not how tariffs work differently; it is how much higher the cost of living is.

We are not comparing the cost of Chinese goods in China with the cost of Chinese goods in the US. That makes no sense. A better comparison is the cost of Chinese goods in the US compared with the cost of American goods in the US.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   
China Puts U.S. Soybean Farmers On Alert, Bans Import Of U.S. Grown Soybeans

www.activistpost.com...

China is responding to the United States’ trade war by banning the import of soybeans grown by U.S. farmers into the Communist country. American farmers have been officially warned that they and the American consumer will suffer under this trade war and fare much worse than the Chinese government. Russian soybeans will replace those previously supplied by the U.S. to China. China boosted the import of American soybeans as a goodwill gesture when the leaders of the two countries agreed to halt the tariff hikes late last year. Back then, the move provided some relief to a significant part of Trump’s voter base, the American farmers, who are struggling to find buyers for their massive harvest.The renewed Chinese ban will hit them hard, given that soybean futures have recently slumped. And a majority of American farmers are already in a precarious situation.

The thing is even with the aid given to these farmers they can lose a great customer forever over this unwise tariff war of Trumps.
edit on 1-6-2019 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Its all about economics and capitalism…and greed of course.

Any business that wants to save money on manufacturing has to go overseas. If not China, then Mexico, Vietnam or some other low wage joint.

If this the end of Americas great wealth period historians will look back and likely blame capitalism and the greed and selfishness of the elite for the destruction of America.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

The politicians who created the situation. If I own a business and the politicians make it impossible to operate in America I will leave.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

soybeans are one of the most toxic nasty crops ever grown. I would be happy to see American farmers stop growing that crap. Trump just made hemp legal, its time to switch to a crop that has far more beneficial uses and affects on humans, animals and the environment. The switch will be painful but will be good for everyone in the long run. Its up to the people to use this chaos as an opportunity to make the changes that would have been nearly impossible before. The only way change is possible is through a degree of chaos. As long as things are stable, even if they are bad there is no incentive to change the paradigm. Chaos and discomfort are the mechanism and opportunity that make otherwise unpalatable change more attractive.

And besides all that, aren't most people aware that monocropping is a horrible practice? I hate the entire model of how the US does farming; paying gigantic farming operations to grow thousands of acres of just one crop. Most people, especially on the Left, hate this practice, know it to be bad for animals and the environment, and yet are mad at Trump because the tariff wars are hurting big ag monocropping operations? Please!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join