It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s tariffs are equivalent to one of the largest tax increases in decades

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: olaru12
That market isn't coming back!

Love the exclamation mark, you are so giddy and excited at the thought of American being harmed.

Don't quite think that's what he meant there, but hey, the notion is not any worse than the stock market hounds on here salivating over the potential for a hard stock crash so they can buy up everything they can on the cheap. F# the economy & all it touches if you make a buck, right?

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Has anyone asked how much the natives got paid for that 100 year old property and all? just wondering, ya know with all the reparations and all. (was it cash, check, liquor or diseased blankets?)

it truly is odd how some that are doing so much better now, and have more free time for it, use that time to bitch how bad the guy is that made it happen.

Could it be cell phone use? I don't have one any more and feel great, really wierd.

By trying to make America more secure in many ways is somehow bad

because, reasons.
edit on 1-6-2019 by thedigirati because: y, y did I miss you

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
Let me see if I understand this. Tariffs are bad. (Mkay?)

When we put tariffs on Chinese made goods, that's bad for the economy.

China retaliates by putting (more) tariffs on American products. Isn't that bad for China?

We've already established rather well that tariffs are passed on to the consumer, and that's who gets bent over without lube. Does it hurt the everyday Chinese person's bottom line in the same manner it hurts the everyday American's? Their CoL is not the same as ours, their value of items and labor is different, and our dollars and their yuan stretch & contract differently.

To have my (from China) stepmother explain it, "American goods have high tariffs in China, but are still cheap luxuries. Low-end Chinese goods in America have low tariffs, but cost a lot." That's the crux of it -- affordability in the respective countries. The higher the tariffs here when it's already a struggling camel, it won't take many more straws to break the back. Chinese consumers have a WAYS to go yet before that.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

HIghly doubtful. I haven't noticed any increase in my spending habits. More fear mongering from the left which is funny because their hero Bernie said he would slap harder tariffs. Pick and argument a stick with it.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

The stock market is a bit different. It dips today and tomorrow it's recovered. I think desiring a true crash is also horrible. I think it's worse though that someone wants their own finances and their children's financial future to be utterly destroyed so they can say #OrangeManBad

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Nyiah

The stock market is a bit different. It dips today and tomorrow it's recovered. I think desiring a true crash is also horrible. I think it's worse though that someone wants their own finances and their children's financial future to be utterly destroyed so they can say #OrangeManBad

There's many on here wanting a full-on recession so they can pad TF out of their portfolios. I think those folks are the ones we should worry about -- they're very willing to trash everything for easy money.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

I am sure before actual analysis has been done, this will be declared fake news by the ATS trump department to save us all from having to read a negative about the great man......

Actually not a single Trumpister even suggests it isn't fake, just not accurate or even telling. Tariffs are a short term tool, the reason why they are effective is because you are 100% right that it increase cost to the company. You and other libtards don't want to mess with the status quo, well unless its the Constitution, but that is another post. You all are like "don't piss off China!!" "oh NOOooo" even after they steal our intellectual property, force company's to do their bidding, are very dishonest in everything, so on and so on... and you all want to just stick your head in the sand and pretend it will go away, well it will not go away and will only get worst unless we do something about it.

Back to tariffs, long term cost increases are like the liberals never ending regulations on private businesses, that is a long term tax. I don't think the left really understands the private sector, they are all about Government and public work, everything that doesn't need to make a profit to survive. The reason why companies are in China in the first place is because we made it cheaper for them to produce on the other side of the planet. Labor and regulations drove them there to where even shipping across the world is cheaper.

Tariffs change all that by making it more expensive over there than here, also by getting rid of the regulations that are crippling we create an environment where jobs/manufacturing come back to America or at a minimum back to the Americas.

China is a ruthless massive beast ready to eat anyone alive including America, it is best we remove ourselves from them anyway we can.

As to tax, it is kind of a consumption taxes...maybe...what will that 1100 IPhone cost you with tariffs? I bet it is like 100 bucks at worst scenario, but it would cost you nothing if you do not buy it....Inflation is very low, and that is an indicator of rise in cost so until we see big changes there I'll ignore your chicken little act.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Obviously, anyone who imports anything from a country with increased tariffs will be paying for the added on tariff. That is what companies do, pass on costs to consumers.

So, if you chose to buy a product from a country with a tariff, you are exercising your right to pay the tariff and absorb any financial punitive measures. If you chose to buy a product from a country without tariffs, you chose not to pay for any punitive measures.

So what's your problem, you want your cake and you want to eat it too? This is pretty simple economics, do you buy the cheaper thing or the more expensive thing? It's called voluntary. Lol

I wonder if they make waahmbulances in California or China?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

We've already established rather well that tariffs are passed on to the consumer, and that's who gets bent over without lube. Does it hurt the everyday Chinese person's bottom line in the same manner it hurts the everyday American's? Their CoL is not the same as ours, their value of items and labor is different, and our dollars and their yuan stretch & contract differently.

To have my (from China) stepmother explain it, "American goods have high tariffs in China, but are still cheap luxuries. Low-end Chinese goods in America have low tariffs, but cost a lot." That's the crux of it -- affordability in the respective countries. The higher the tariffs here when it's already a struggling camel, it won't take many more straws to break the back. Chinese consumers have a WAYS to go yet before that.

All right. So why should the Chinese care about American tariffs? The Chinese aren't paying them. Why punish their own people, even a little, with retaliatory tariffs? Are we to believe that the Chinese care so much about the prices American consumers pay that they are willing cut their nose to spite their face, so to speak?

From the Chinese perspective, the worst that can happen is that American consumers will buy less Chinese products. No big deal. China can either sell to someone else or produce less. Same for America. If China doesn't want American products, sell to someone else or produce less. They can eat their blu-ray players and we can watch our crops grow.

Maybe the real problem is that we have economies that depend ever increasing production and consumption.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

The tariffs are an un-none.
Some believe they will work some believe they will make things worse.

We can only wait and see.

But I do think doing nothing, being stagnate, fearing change, would be far worse for us in the long run.

Trying something new is the best move for the us right now. #bernie2020

Most of the time the right is to afraid of change to even try. Let's not punish them on the one issue that they are.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The only part of the tariffs that really bothers me is this:

The rich will still be able to afford all the stuff once the prices rise. The poor will not. This will further the divide between the two groups.

Trump wont have an issue with buying a few more gold toilets but I might have an issue with buying the kind of toilet paper I like.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Just vote for Biden.

I hear The Biden's luv China.

^_^

But lets be real.

# CHINA.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

China and Mexico have been begging for Tariffs, they must have been according to the OP.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Or maybe rather than buying that cheap ass chinese TP where you need 10 squares to wipe you will pay 2x as much for better TP where you only need 3 squares, saving yourself money in the end.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

There is little to no influence of where all our products come from. Our goods economy is primarily Chineese provided. Like it or not

All the box stores sell China crap. 10-15% tarriffs(federal pre-sales tax) will not be enough to disrupt mfgr sources.

Let's be real and call the tarriffs what they are.

A bs front end sales tax of 10-15% +/- sold to citizens wrapped in a flag(made in China)

This is another giant gov cash grab.

The amount is kept low to pass the cost to consumers and intentionally not disrupt mfgr operations.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Then people deserve what they get. I refuse to buy made in China as much as possible.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

No, we deserve a non-scamming pos gov.

The same dbags that outsourced are now going to profit from it, from our pockets.

...while stupid people are being sold Made in America patriotism that will never happen.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The whole idea is to dissuade Americans from buying Chinese products as the tariffs make them more expensive to buy.

The said American would then choose to buy an alternative, previously more expensive American alternative.

The problem is that for many things there is no American made alternative, so people will have to buy the more expensive Chinese product.

In fact for many things, China is the only place that makea them.

Setting up other places to produce anything takes time, a long time.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

It makes it more appealing to purchase from non-Chinese companies. So while not everything will increase American made, it can loosen the grip China has on US imports.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Don't buy Made in China.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join