It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s tariffs are equivalent to one of the largest tax increases in decades

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Arnie123

I liken it to chemo.

It's hard to endure, but the cancer (unfair tariffs) needs to be eliminated.

I like that analogy....

sometimes the chemo kills the patient, not the cancer.

consumer.healthday.com...
edit on 1-6-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I liken it to chemo.

It's hard to endure, but the cancer (unfair tariffs) needs to be eliminated.

I like that analogy....

sometimes the chemo kills the patient, not the cancer.
Whelp, that's the risk. We put ourselves into that situation, we have to deal with it 😉

Like a smoker, they smoke for all their lives, boom, CANCER.

Whelp, you got yourself there by yourself, so now time to pay the piper.

I have no issues callimg out my fellow American bretheren, but I've always been about self sustainment and American should be like that.

It has and has shown it can and I actually truly believe that change can happen fast in an era of social media and advancing technology.

There's always money to be made.

link   

That market isn't coming back!

Love the exclamation mark, you are so giddy and excited at the thought of American being harmed.

link   
a reply to: olaru12

It's a good thing we're a tough patient who won't die from it then.

Do you support unfair trade policies that negatively affect the US?

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

You know what, wouldnt be any need for these tarrifs if the greedy corporations havent moved all our manufacturing to Mexico and China. Now the big stores like Walmart and site like Amazon sell you crap products made to break while at the same time killing all the local small businesses. Tarrifis are good imo. Any American company moved over seas should be banned from selling in America altogether imo.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

All the tariffs are another tax you the consumer have to pay.

By that same logic, the threats to raise tax rates on large corporations are also taxes passed on to the consumer. Someone should tell the DNC!

Where this analysis goes off the rails is a complete misunderstanding of dynamics in the economy. Sure, IF the tariffs remain in effect, IF production does not shift to domestic sources, and IF companies do not cut their profit margin to compete, THEN the article you linked might be correct. But that's a lot of ifs.

Tariffs are intended to level the playing field between domestic and foreign goods. If you want to have a high standard of living while other countries live in squalor (which I assume you do, since you obviously have an internet connection and a computer), then wages must be high enough to pay for those things. If wages are high, then other countries can make the same products cheaper, and put domestic producers out of business. If domestic producers go out of business, then those who worked for them are unemployed and cannot afford the high standard of living you enjoy.

This tariff doesn't even go that far; it is a last-ditch punitive measure to help resolve an actual humanitarian crisis on out southern border which Congress refuses to even address. Imagine for a moment that your boss comes to you and tells you you have to do triple the work you were doing before. You tell him you need equipment that will allow you to do that. He then claims you are incompetent because you can't follow orders! You'd be pissed! But when Trump is confronted with an escalation of illegal border crossings that he is required by law to address, and he asks Congress, who made those laws, for funding to help resolve the problem, they claim he is incompetent and you support that!

Talk about your hypocrisy! And worse, you seemingly can't even see it. So you write this thread, which is nothing more than a dig at Trump over some hypocritical notion that was implanted into your head by someone you never met and who doesn't care if you live or die, and wantonly demonstrate your hypocrisy to the world.

The truth is that the tariff, if it continues (and that is not certain; it depends on whether or not Mexico will acquiesce), will not raise prices substantially. Anything that Mexico produces can be produced elsewhere, and will be produced elsewhere to keep costs down. GM, for instance, is not going to raise the cost of their cars by 25% while letting Toyota and Honda keep their prices low; if they did, they would be out of business within a couple of years. They'll start their plants back up in the US instead. Sure, prices may go up a little because of that, but more Americans will be able to afford the prices because more Americans will have better jobs. A tariff is an optional tax... don't want to pay it? Then don't pay it! Just buy somewhere else.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I have always been against illegal immigration. But I also consider myself a nationalist. For any dems out there that was nationalist not racist. Had nothing to do with trump saying anything about it. It has been a big problem for decades.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

That market isn't coming back!

Love the exclamation mark, you are so giddy and excited at the thought of American being harmed.

No, here's what I'm giddy about.

130 Percent of Trump’s China-Tariff Revenue Is Now Going to Angry Farmers

www.cfr.org...

I'm for well thought out trade policy; not the cluster **** knee jerk trump policy that could destroy American markets.

edit on 1-6-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

That's the problem when you let cancer spread. Guess what doing nothing does though?

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Here is where that logic fails, you cannot choose to pay a tax, it is mandatory. You can choose to ignore the price hikes of a tariff, by not buying products under tariff??

My washer and dryer were made in America, and therefore even though I purchased then two or three years ago, they are not that much in price difference since last year, because even if it sounds funny I always look for my models and their next version when I visit Best buy, home Depot or Lowe's.

I bought then on a Black Friday sale, and I honestly never saw them that cheap again .

As far as food goes, the earth always has a receptive market for agriculture production. And if it don't?? Well the good news every year we have to replant right?? #ing plant something different. It's not like a farmer only knows how to grow one crop. Instead of soy beans, grow red beans. Or maybe tomatos, squash, lettuce, peppers. You know, any number of the scores of food that is literally replanted every single year. Even the facilities that process them can be readily adapted

I personally would like to see chinese garlic come under some nice ce heavy tariffs. Kills me to know that 95% of ready peeled garlic has been imported from China, and that virtually all of that production comes by the hands of prison labor. Next time your chopping peeled garlic, remember, Chinese prisoners peeled that for you . Why can't American prisoners peeled it here?

I only seem to see people who are well off actually complaining. The poor folk only repeat what they been told by their wealthy media masters. But their lives and bills are relatively unschated.

I can buy 128gb of usb3.0 flash drive for eleven dollars at Walmart. Sure does not seem like memory is under any tariff.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I quoted you. I quoted exactly what had you giddy. But I love how you admit you are giddy at the thought of America's economy being hurt, you love it.

Disgusting.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I quoted you. I quoted exactly what had you giddy. But I love how you admit you are giddy at the thought of America's economy being hurt, you love it.

Disgusting.

Twist it however you want. But I'll repeat it for you. This is what I'm giddy about, being a Farm owner.

www.cfr.org...

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

www.nytimes.com...
more subsidies for you then.....

Trump Gives Farmers $16 Billion in Aid Amid Prolonged China Trade War

cry me a river "farmer"

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

All the tariffs are another tax you the consumer have to pay.

By that same logic, the threats to raise tax rates on large corporations are also taxes passed on to the consumer. Someone should tell the DNC!

And that is a mic-drop moment.

This, in all honesty, should end the debate on raising corporate taxes.

Well said!

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Disgusting.

Twist it however you want. But I'll repeat it for you. This is what I'm giddy about, being a Farm owner.

www.cfr.org...
Whelp, you better start selling to us locals rather commies if you want to survive, farmer ..actor....or whatever it is you are now...

"Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Wednesday that no additional meetings with Beijing were scheduled and that he was encouraging American firms to reorient their supply chains and source their products elsewhere."

Get out and work.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

www.nytimes.com...

cry me a river "farmer"

What are you talking about. I'm not cryin...part of the 16billion is mine even though I only plant a small portion in soybeans, mostly cotton and onions. The crop $$ pale in comparison to the gas leases.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

www.nytimes.com...

cry me a river "farmer"

What are you talking about. I'm not cryin...part of the 16billion is mine even though I only plant a small portion in soybeans, mostly cotton and onions. The crop $$ pale in comparison to the gas leases.
Oh sorry, we thought you were a REAL farmer, nevermind 🙄

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

So you are making MORE money now? Sounds like everyone else I know that is benefiting under Trump.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

So you are making MORE money now? Sounds like everyone else I know that is benefiting under Trump.
😆 nice catch!! Lmfao

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

sounds like .....doesnt it......
but somehow that is a bad thing......

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join