It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faith without religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I am just wondering to those who doesn't have religion nor believe in any divine being.

Do you have faith in anything at all or even just faith of a good outcome of things, akin to positive thinking?

Do you speak positive things or speak hope to a child even though facts say otherwise and truth is they have no hope?

Do you believe it makes any difference?

Quite frankly, I'm so confused about this whole "positive, faith, thing" which is very ironic because I'm a Christian who grew up in a Christian household. But one thing that probably makes my childhood different is the near lack of positive encouragement from parents especially from mom.

I've been constantly told that I'm ugly, constantly reminded of my failures and wrong decisions in life. Nagged almost everyday about it. Because my mom said it's the truth and she will not lie about it. Several people have told me how handsome I look but mom says they're lying.

Now, I'm nearing 40 years of age and still haven't accomplished anything, and jobless atm, nothing in my bank, still living with parents. I did have a college degree in engineering and used to work in a big IT company which is the huge irony and ended up where I am right now through a seemingly uncanny string of bad luck and wrong choices made.

I'm so so confused. Does faith matters? Does positive words matter? I actually blame myself for bad ending of my life. But somehow, I get this feeling this isn't all on me is why I made this thread. That words did matter and it affected me somehow. But it's probably too late, I hope not. Does words make life? Does words kill?

edit on 1-6-2019 by johndeere2020 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I was thinking more along the lines of humans without religion.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: johndeere2020

40 is not old. There are people who were what society considered to be 'failures' that went on to great things later in life. To address your "positive thinking" concerns, I think there is some merit to it. We do literally program ourselves through our thoughts, habits and routines. You must realize that you and you alone are responsible for your life.

And now I'll dispense with some platitudes:

Obstacles can’t stop you. Problems can’t stop you. Other people can’t stop you. Only YOU can stop you.

Don't even THINK of what you cannot do. Think of what you can do.

Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life.

There is neither happiness nor unhappiness in this world; there is merely the comparison of one state to the other. Only a man who has felt ultimate despair is capable of feeling ultimate bliss. —Alexandre Dumas

No one can go back and make a brand new start, Anyone can start from now and make a great ending. —Carl Bard

Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path, and you will find you have crossed the mountain. — Unknown

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Religion and God aren't the same thing. Religion is nothing more than the framework man has built to try to explain the experience of the other. And it's mutated into a control system since then.

Going by what he said, I can't imagine that Jesus would be too fond of modern Christians. They'd label him a long haired communist and he'd be spit on for being a libtard.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I was born to parents who did not include any strict religious teachings, although they were both religious in their own ways. I learned that there were people who believed in various gods when i started kindergarten. I could never understand why, and upon questioning the other children, i quickly understood that their parents just wanted them to believe in these things. I also saw the parallels to Santa, and the other holiday figures throughout the year.

Being born and raised in Tennessee, and educated in a Christian elementary school, made my childhood very confusing. I was drawn to greek and roman mythology books, the bible, Buddhism, hinduism, and anything else i could find. It was clear that there were lots of beliefs out there in the world, and faith was no explanation for any of it.

I was made fun of, criticized, and punished by adults and other children. But none of their efforts to force me to conform, did anything to make their claims make any sense, and no amount of pointing out the flaws in their methods or reasoning changed any of their minds either. I realised at some point that, whatever you teach a child is what they will believe.

That includes criticism about their looks, their weight, their talent, and their worth.

Faith in any religion will get you some acceptance into that group, and sometimes that affiliation can lead to great things, but sometimes it surrounds you with people who will treat you poorly if you do not conform to their expectations.

I personally see other people’s faith as an obstacle to understanding what is really going on, but not conforming to a community’s standards can lead them to becoming the obstacles that keep you from getting ahead and making contacts.
edit on 1-6-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I knew i did not believe in gods in kindergarten. As i progressed through grade school, other kids would confess to me that they didn’t believe it either, but they would not admit it to the kids who did believe. By highschool, i had friends of all sorts because i did not exclude people who did not think like me, and i was thoroughly surprised that lot’s of people were openly atheist, and many, many, more were closet atheists. In the age of science, people are coming around to the idea of what constitutes evidence, and what is blind devotion to their parent’s stories.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   

As for what to tell kids about faith? I teach them that faith is not a reason to believe in things, the world is dangerous, so be nice and choose your friends based on their actions and their character, not on their beliefs. Because some christians are bad people, some atheists are bad people, some hindus are bad people, and their religious affiliations are not how they got that way.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Claiming faith in any religion is the ultimate virtue signal. People do it because it gets others to drop their gaurd and accept them.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   
My parents never told Me they loved Me hell never even told Me they liked Me. Grew up mentally and physically abused, didn't think much of Myself growing up. No Religion, wasn't born with that kind of faith.

Now I'm 50, just started a Business, based off a hobby I started 10 years ago. It was the Faith I had in My ability and self when I found something that I wasn't just good at but that I love to do.

Its never too late to find the Faith in Yourself! Faith in anything else can come later.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I claim faith because I believe in who God is and what he can do for me. I am his daughter and he protects me and answers my prayers. He doesn't answer my prayers because I asked him to, but because I am his and he loves me. And so, sometimes it appears as if he hasn't answered my prayers but when I look at the events after my problem has been solved, I can see exactly how he helped me.

My faith is a personal relationship. In no way do I use my faith to manipulate other people or use it to make them behave in any other way than they want. They are their own free person.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   

There are two kinds of faith, and they often work together:
faith
/fāTH/
Learn to pronounce
noun
complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
"this restores one's faith in politicians"
synonyms: trust, belief, confidence, conviction, credence, reliance, dependence; More
strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
synonyms: religion, church, sect, denomination, persuasion, religious persuasion, religious belief, belief, code of belief, ideology, creed, teaching, dogma, doctrine
"she gave her life for her faith"

Your Mom spoke the wrong words over you. Words are powerful. Speaking without any Biblical aspect, you can have faith in yourself aside from anything anyone else has ever contributed to your mind set.

There is something wrong with your Mom, and I don't mean that in a mean way, it's just that something is off, or missing, or for whatever reason she didn't nurture you or show love. As a mother, I can tell you that from the moment my child was born she became the light of my life. I have never loved anyone or anything with such passion, such instinct, such overwhelming love.

If I may... if your Mom were healthy she would have encouraged, uplifted and built you up. Who do you believe: your friends (note: multiple), or your one Mom?

40 is not too old. If you don't take action now then you will regret it when you are 50, 60, 70, 80. Now, this very moment of NOW, is when you should live. Stop thinking of the future and stop thinking of the past. Focus on the now and do things that make you happy. Plan for the future but do it with the awareness that what you do NOW will ensure and grow your future. These are the words I would tell you constantly if you were my child.

Show her and yourself what you are capable of. The mind can be our own worst enemy. You need to get positive feedback and surround yourself with positive people.

You can always PM me if you wish. I have a fantastic book I can recommend. It is faith based, but even so it has the best advice I have ever read on becoming your own person and stopping the negativity of other people of having impact on your life.

Take care!! I'm rooting for you!

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: hiddeninsite

I claim faith because I believe in who God is and what he can do for me. I am his daughter and he protects me and answers my prayers. He doesn't answer my prayers because I asked him to, but because I am his and he loves me. And so, sometimes it appears as if he hasn't answered my prayers but when I look at the events after my problem has been solved, I can see exactly how he helped me.

My faith is a personal relationship. In no way do I use my faith to manipulate other people or use it to make them behave in any other way than they want. They are their own free person.
How exactly do you think god helps you? And why doesn’t he help other people? What makes your needs more important than, say, a starving kid in Africa?

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Your mother seems to have been in a negative space, perhaps introduced by her parents, that now plagues you. All she did was plant images in your mind that you think are mirrors. That reflect who and what you are. You need to learn self compassion. To accept who you are without judgement. To witness the pain in yourself with love, understanding and compassion. Because you as much as anybody else in this world, deserves all the love, that you can muster. With enough self-love you will be able to break all the mirrors in the world.

Its only by learning to love yourself will you be able to truly love other people.

Love YOU.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

BTW don't forget to tell your mother that she is a beautiful person. That you don't reflect her ugliness. You reflect her beauty.

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

"I was made fun of, criticized, and punished by adults and other children."

Woodcarver, as a person that believes in religion, I apologise for all the negativity thrown on you. Sadly religion includes much dogma that turns it into a club of bible bashers rather than its real intent of self reflection.

If religion is true then our purpose on this earth must have reason. That reason is perhaps the All divine's wish to know itself. So if that is true then you are doing exactly what you need to do. If your path doesn't include religion, that is your correct path.
edit on 1-6-2019 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   
What your mom did to you had nothing at all to do with religion one way or the other. It was her own problem. She would have been just as toxic to you absent religion. What religion was was her excuse for her treatment of you. People who treat others badly have to justify that maltreatment in some way. For the wife beater, she was asking for it. For your mother, God said she can't lie.

I used to work in a clinic with kids who had learning disabilities like dyslexia and similar. Very often the kids who came to us had very low self-esteem, thought they were stupid, etc., because they were often smart enough to know they should have been able to do things like read, but they couldn't ... that their meager ability was way, way harder than it should have been, and that kids that were less intelligent than they often were could read better than they could with much less effort. And a lot of times, they'd had teachers, even their own parents tell them they were stupid or lazy or needed to try harder when they were already working hard out of all proportion to the average kid.

And we would then ask them to directly work on the very thing they couldn't do well or sometimes even at all in very, very difficult ways over and over again. Sort of like a physical therapist asking someone to work hard physically in an area where they'd lost it.

The Golden Rule was always to say something positive about their attempts, not to lie, but to find something they'd done right. If you tried hard enough, you could, but it took practice sometimes.

That's all a roundabout way to say that there was something wrong with your mother. Where you needed her, she let you down. You can always be positive and supportive without lying. There are always things worth praising in every effort. If she never did, then she never tried because no one is that hopeless.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 02:12 AM
link   

From my own experience. You can connect to divine conciousness without believing in Abrahamic religions.

The third eye sensor in the human body is real. "Mystics" all over this planet have their own experience and play around in bliss mode.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ATruGod
My parents never told Me they loved Me hell never even told Me they liked Me. Grew up mentally and physically abused, didn't think much of Myself growing up. No Religion, wasn't born with that kind of faith.

Now I'm 50, just started a Business, based off a hobby I started 10 years ago. It was the Faith I had in My ability and self when I found something that I wasn't just good at but that I love to do.

Its never too late to find the Faith in Yourself! Faith in anything else can come later.

Spot on, thanks!

I grew up constantly compared to others that I'm not good as them. Maybe why I'm don't have much faith in myself.

Now, I'm too overcome with guilt to probably have faith in myself. I've tried many times before. But now things have changed. I don't feel alive anymore. Like I don't feel anything, emotion wise. Probably don't feel any pain too. I'm just functioning like a robot. Just functioning like I used to.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   

At the same time, it can be a growth experience to be compared to others and found lacking.

For example, in a sport if your technique isn't as good, it's good coaching to have someone point out to you that your jump shot isn't as good as little Johnny's. Of course, the follow-up is to point out why your jump shot isn't as good. It gives you a frame of reference so you can go out and practice to improve your technique and get better. Then, you can expect that someday your jump shot may be as good as little Johnny's, possibly better even if you work at it enough.

There's a fine balance of praise and criticism in life. Without knowing what we're doing not as good as we need to, we don't know where we need to grow.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: johndeere2020
I am just wondering to those who doesn't have religion nor believe in any divine being.

Do you have faith in anything at all or even just faith of a good outcome of things, akin to positive thinking?

Do you speak positive things or speak hope to a child even though facts say otherwise and truth is they have no hope?

Do you believe it makes any difference?

Quite frankly, I'm so confused about this whole "positive, faith, thing" which is very ironic because I'm a Christian who grew up in a Christian household. But one thing that probably makes my childhood different is the near lack of positive encouragement from parents especially from mom.

I've been constantly told that I'm ugly, constantly reminded of my failures and wrong decisions in life. Nagged almost everyday about it. Because my mom said it's the truth and she will not lie about it. Several people have told me how handsome I look but mom says they're lying.

Now, I'm nearing 40 years of age and still haven't accomplished anything, and jobless atm, nothing in my bank, still living with parents. I did have a college degree in engineering and used to work in a big IT company which is the huge irony and ended up where I am right now through a seemingly uncanny string of bad luck and wrong choices made.

I'm so so confused. Does faith matters? Does positive words matter? I actually blame myself for bad ending of my life. But somehow, I get this feeling this isn't all on me is why I made this thread. That words did matter and it affected me somehow. But it's probably too late, I hope not. Does words make life? Does words kill?

Positive thinking or "looking on the bright side" is not the same as taking religious doctrine on faith.
Anyone in any religion or agnostic or atheist can still choose to dwell on negative or positive aspects of life.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join