It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York City to Erect Monument to Trans Icons Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   

LGBTQI trailblazers Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera will be receiving a monument near New York's Stonewall Inn, where patrons rioted against police in June 1969 for civil rights, the city of New York announced Thursday.
“Both Marsha and Sylvia were a significant part of the Stonewall era, when the queer community came out of the shadows and became way more visible and vocal," NewNowNext.com columnist Michael Musto told InsideEdition.com of the decision to erect the monument. "The sculpture in their honor is long deserved and a great testament to their uniqueness and accomplishments."

Activist Victoria Cruz echoed his remarks.
“It is about time! It makes me feel really good that these people are being honored for the grassroots effort in gay liberation," she said. "It is about time our community is acknowledging them."

www.insideedition.com...

There's a reason why I'm putting this in the 'Pit.

Now I don't really care one way or another about a statue being put up. It's pricy. 750,000 dollars for it.

But hey. It's not my money so go for it.

Some people though. . . . . some people might be offended by the statue.

Now leftists will tell you that it is their right to tear down statues if they are offensive. Or, they say, put it away, in a building, away from sensitive eyes. Basically burning books. Just doing it a bit differently.

Now are the evil, vile, repugnant leftists going to support those that find this statue offensive? Or will they claim "Free Expression"?

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Who?

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Some trans folks I guess.

*shrugs*

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Actually they will say that if you are offended by it that you are homophobic.

Fairness and equality only count if you think like the left does.

Otherwise you are an -ist or an -ic.

They don't play fair, the party of love and tolerance.

I guess it's time the right starts playing by the same ROE.

By Any Means Necessary.

edit on 31-5-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
You would think it would work both ways, but it doesn't. If this offends anyone, you are just backward, ultra-conservative prejudiced redneck and reaffirms their beliefs, in what they are doing is just and fair. All for symbolism, $750,000 could have helped a lot of the trans community more than a statue ever will.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Tear down that statue!

Might be good place to take a p!ss in that hole they call NYC.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   

The statues will be part of the city’s #SheBuilt initiative, honoring women who have made an impact in the history of New York.

“We need more women statues around New York City,” Duane added.

So an initiative designed to honor women and their contribution to NYC is dropping 3/4s of a million dollars on statues of a pair of men, biological men, in drag... yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Of course, Bruce Jenner won woman of the year awards not that long ago, so...

I wonder what the life cycle costs for cleaning up grafitti and repairing the vandalism these statues will be plagued by amounts to?

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
To be fair, I would condemn those who would want to tear down this trans statue.

Book burners are book burners, I don't differentiate.

But so many leftists DEFENDED the "book burning" that is still going on, that I would love to highlight their extreme hypocrisy if they had kittens over any attempt to knock this statue down.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: BoscoMoney
Might be good place to take a p!ss in that hole they call NYC.

One could defend themselves in such a situation by simply calling it an act of solidarity for the gender fluid bathroom movement the trans community has been trying to goad society into accepting.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
NVM
edit on 31-5-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

...and now everyone will ponder ponderously at what generated this reply... which is OK, because it makes people think, ya?
edit on 31-5-2019 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'm just too Awesome to be offended.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

We should put up a statue of you.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Plotus

We should put up a statue of you.

If they're anatomically designed, you can already be found under the skirts of one of the statues they're planning.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I'm under MANY skirts!

MANY!

. . . . . . . well, it's called a mumu and I can't take it off. It stops the gravy spills.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
well, it's called a mumu and I can't take it off.

Call it what you want, Ringling Brothers wants it returned ASAP.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Oh they tried, but couldn't capture the awesomeness and, well, there can't be two of us.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Erect.....

Bwhahaha

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The WHO just changed trans from a "disorder" to a "condition".

"It’s not that what it means to be transgender has changed in any meaningful way as much as it is that being transgender is no longer being called a ‘disorder’ but is instead being called a ‘condition,’ one that might require medical intervention but is not inherently pathological. The WHO said it best, “Gender incongruence, meanwhile, has also been moved out of mental disorders in the ICD, into sexual health conditions. The rationale being that while evidence is now clear that it is not a mental disorder, and indeed classifying it in this can cause enormous stigma for people who are transgender, there remain significant health care needs that can best be met if the condition is coded under the ICD.”

www.forbes.com...
Forbes article May 30.
I'm just trying to wrap my head around putting up a statue of a person because they had a type of dysphoria.

edit on Fri May 31 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX tags and ADDED SOURCE IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Hmm... I got no Problem with that , Misery Loves Company I Guess .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join