It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico comes to the table

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Mexican president sends delegation after Trump threatens tariffs over illegal immigration

Mexico’s President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said Thursday that his administration would be sending a delegation to the United States after Trump threatened to impose tariffs on Mexico if they did not stop the influx of illegal immigration.

Looks like Trump is going to force Obrador to the table one way or the other.

“President Trump, social problems are not resolved with taxes or coercive measures,” Obrador said.

Your country has been encouraging and aiding illegal immigration into the United States for decades. Your BS stops now.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Good find, S+F.

This is exactly what Trump wanted, however due to the Mexican Presidents response, he's jist bitter because we are now forcing the issue and NOT sitting idly by any longer.

Where were these people when Trump was campaigning? Did they think the old guard would sway Trump? The deep state convince otherwise? No, Trump is his own power to himself, a self perpetuation of energies designed to operate independently from outside influences.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Here is a different version.

Mexico's president has insisted his government will not be provoked, after President Donald Trump announced escalating tariffs on all goods unless Mexico curbed illegal migration. Andrés Manuel López Obrador described Mr Trump's slogan "America First" as a fallacy and said universal justice was more important than borders

The president said he had ordered his foreign minister to travel to Washington on Friday. "I want to insist that we are not going to fall into any provocations, that we are going to act prudently with respect to the authorities of the United States [and] with respect to President Donald Trump," he said. In a letter to his US counterpart, Mr López Obrador said Mexico was complying with its responsibility to avoid "as far as possible and without violating human rights, the passage [of migrants] through our country

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Awesome KAG 2020!

+28 more 
posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

And yet, here they come, arriving at the table of negotiation at the prompt of the President's policy.

Mexico is not in a position to dictate to the US how things will go.
edit on 31 5 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Mexico will talk tough but in the end, they will do what Trump demands because he has them bent over the table and is about to go all, "Deliverance" on them.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
No habla jibber-jabber.

+12 more 
posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   
That took less than 24 hours for Mexico to come to heel. America is largely independent in regards to foreign trade. Mexico isn't. They need us more than we need then. As evident with their speedy turnaround.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Mexico's president has insisted his government will not be provoked, after President Donald Trump announced escalating tariffs on all goods unless Mexico curbed illegal migration. Andrés Manuel López Obrador described Mr Trump's slogan "America First" as a fallacy and said universal justice was more important than borders

The president said he had ordered his foreign minister to travel to Washington on Friday. "I want to insist that we are not going to fall into any provocations, that we are going to act prudently with respect to the authorities of the United States [and] with respect to President Donald Trump," he said. In a letter to his US counterpart, Mr López Obrador said Mexico was complying with its responsibility to avoid "as far as possible and without violating human rights, the passage [of migrants] through our country

www.bbc.co.uk...

I guess he don’t mind thousands of us a day go there illegally and get free healthcare?

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Looks like Trump is going to force Obrador to the table one way or the other.

I haven't been following.
Was obrador refusing to sit and talk with trump before now?

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Wow. That was pretty funny.

Mr L.abrador has high hopes of appealing to the leftist powers that be to save him and pick up his poop.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Sit!

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Little will change. Increases in cost get past on to consumers. Mexico will carry on as usual.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

www.bbc.co.uk...

He could have just said that over the phone or held a news conference.
I guess he sent a delegation to say it?

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   

A month ago there was a slow down in customs ports in several crossing points of trucks from Mexico to USA, looks like PEJE didn't get the message.... now it's loud & clear!

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I have been hearing that a lot of Chinese goods are being shipped into Mexico then re-shipped into the US. Based on how long it took Mexico to go "oopsy!" I tend to think that's true. So Mexico stands to lose TWO of it's major trading partners in one fell swoop.

Now the question is... which is of more benefit to Mexico? The money from China/US trade, or the money from illegal crossings? There has to be some benefit flowing back to the Mexican government for them to be so obviously against stopping illegal immigration.

I guess we'll see.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm glad he's doing it, personally I think he's being pretty gentle with mexico.

5 percent isn't much, won't really affect them.

I hope it gets to 20 and I hope he shuts the border down for a few months too.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The deligation is going to be illegal immigrants that do not return back to Mexico once they are done.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

That's just a a remarkably uniformed comment. US Auto makers lost $18 Billion in value today because of this. Most all US car makers source parts in Mexico, and many cars sold in the US are built in Mexico. And the parts supply situation is using that "just in time" sourcing so the US plants will run out of parts in 3 days when the trucks get stacked up at the border because of the tarriff's. Car and Truck prices will necessarily increase and as the situation worsens, US production plants will close.

This is nothing short of a disaster.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
www.inside-mexico.com...

If this isn't resolved fast we stand to lose as well. Machinery manufacturers will be hit hard if Mexico decides to impose tarrifs back. Hopefully they won't. But we will see what happens.

Following are the most important exports from the US to Mexico.

Machinery $42 Billion

Electrical Machinery $41 Billion

Vehicles & Vehicle Parts $21 Billion

Mineral Fuels $20 Billion (Gasoline, natural gas)

Medical Instruments $12 Billion

Plastics $16 Billion

Textiles 4.13 Billion

Agricultural Products $18 Billion (Corn, soybeans, dairy products, pork, beef, apples, malt, margarine)

Services $31.1 Billion (travel, transport, intellectual property)

Weapons 19.8 Million

Chemical Products $13.4 Billion

<<   2  3  4 >>

join