It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Announces Tariffs on Mexico

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2019 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Strange the people question trump for trying go get the rest of the world to pay their fair share.

This is absolutely needed.

Mexico should not be letting people in through their southern border.

Its causing the u.s money and lives

Now it's time to pay

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
You would be surprised about how much the world knows about America - given the many decades of American news and other media being pumped to our TV's and cable channels.

If you've never left America your entire life, or haven't really traveled internationally extensively then you would be understandably ignorant of this fact.

Except that the rest of the world knows little about America because what they "know" is filtered through US news and entertainment. The industry -owned mostly by six corporations - is dominated by an urban, coastal elite who know little about their own country! Unless a person has travelled extensively in the US, same thing! Hollywood and advertising is propaganda to promote a wealthy consumerist life style - Americans aren't nearly as rich or idle as the people on TV shows. I don't meet ordinary Americans who dole out cheap shots the way characters do in every sitcom either.

I'm not American. I grew up in Canada, Northern Ireland, England and the West Indies, and apart from a couple of the usual tourist holidays like Disney or New York City, I'd barely been to the US until my thirties. But I thought that I, too, knew what America was all about.

Nope.

The past fifteen years I've gone on countless road trips through half the states on vacation and business, some of them many times, and have made friends who live in different parts and have for generations.

No outsider can understand the United States either. Each state is vastly different with somewhat different laws, cultural norms and demographics (not as diverse as Europe but nowhere near as homogeneous as individual European countries), different accents and even dialects. And yet the population is amazingly transient. America is diverse - settled by different waves from different countries for up to 500 years in some parts. The land mass is beyond what anyone who grew up in Western Europe can really fathom. You can go through half a dozen countries in Europe in the length of time it takes to get from one end of Oregon to the other. America is HUGE. Many Americans are also friendly and curious,so many don't miss the chance to talk to strangers visiting from other countries, or strangers they meet when abroad. A well-travelled American probably knows more about the countries they visit than your average Australian or Canadian visitor.

What you see on TV is as stereotyped about Americans as it is about Chinese or German people and filtered through a frightfully narrow elite of gatekeepers/producers/writers who all seem to have gone to school with or are related to one another (the media is rife with nepotism). Keep in mind the news about generating outrage over divisive issues and violent crime. It's easier to think of America as a continent than a country.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
So....again. New tariffs, a concept Americans just don't seem to grasp. Let me 'splain.

Mexico doesn't pay a dime of the 5% tariff. Not one dime. They still send goods as usual.

The party receiving those goods at the border -- your grocer, for example -- pays that 5% for the release of the goods.

They then pass that 5% increase on to you.

I saw Trumpkins all over the web today celebrating 45 "sticking it to Mexico". The ignorance is astounding to me.

finance.yahoo.com...

The theory is that it increases the cost of goods Mexico sends, therefore less will be bought, in favor of other products usually assumed to bey domestic. In practice all it does is give other sellers an excuse to raise their prices, and we simply get less for the same money spent. Or, if it worked the way supporters of tariffs wish it did, all it would mean is that consumer choice is reduced.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
a reply to: olaru12

Nobody's talking about a bag of groceries. Throw 5% on the price of that new Chevy Silverado pickup and people are gonna look for something made elsewhere, like here in the U.S.A.
Get it?

Ahh. So what you really want is to force Americans to buy American even though we're producing inferior goods at a higher price?

The ultimate solution to being unable to compete... ban your competition from the marketplace.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Actually what we want is to prevent China from unfair competition through currency manipulation and using their government to unfairly destroy manufacturing sectors in other nations.

You think Chinese brand cars are cheaper and better?

All I can speak to are normal goods. American made is so far superior it's not even worth discussing it. I have at times bought made in china goods and I regret it every time.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Actually what we want is to prevent China from unfair competition through currency manipulation and using their government to unfairly destroy manufacturing sectors in other nations.

All I can speak to are normal goods. American made is so far superior it's not even worth discussing it. I have at times bought made in china goods and I regret it every time.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

They’re more marketable. Competition isn’t about making the highest quality, it’s about making the most desired product. Also, in some cases... yes. I don’t enjoy the idea of suddenly losing access to things like foods imported from other countries, since American cuisine is (mostly) crap.

If American companies cannot compete on price (and realistically, they can’t), then they need to compete on quality, and offer high enough quality to offset the price, or offer wages that allow people to make purchasing decisions based on more than just a price tag.

That’s what the market is about. Better, faster, cheaper. If you can’t do that, then you don’t deserve to be in business any longer.

As far as cars go? The US market keeps pushing gas guzzling cars that aren’t seen as desirable in other nations. China is heavily invested in electric vehicles for example, so yes... I do think they’re making better vehicles right now.

After listening to people tell me for years to bootstrap myself, that I’m not entitled to any sort of paycheck, and that I should give up an education and work for them for near minimum wage in a sweatshop, I have literally less than zero sympathy for business owners who can’t compete in the market anymore. They failed to update their business model, they can be punished the way capitalism says they should.
edit on 2-6-2019 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   

As far as cars go? The US market keeps pushing gas guzzling cars that aren’t seen as desirable in other nations. China is heavily invested in electric vehicles for example, so yes... I do think they’re making better vehicles right now.

Then you'd be wrong. Tesla is the best electric car on the market by a wide margin.

The Nissan leaf is the best selling EV in the world. It is made in Smyrna, TN and the UK.
edit on 2-6-2019 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

Then you'd be wrong. Tesla is the best electric car on the market by a wide margin.

On quality yes, but not on accessibility. Teslas are well above most peoples price ranges. I have no problems with Tesla as a company, I think they do great work, and put out a good product (if you get the right model/packages). But a luxury car brand is not going to take electric vehicles to the masses.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Hence my edit adding the leaf.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

Hence my edit adding the leaf.

Yes, I saw the leaf comment after I posted. I don’t know much about the Leaf, but it’s also something I consider to be a good thing. It represents companies responding to consumer demand and I am all for that, it doesn’t need tariffs to compete in the marketplace. On the other hand it’s the competing models like a giant gas guzzling SUV that needs to make it harder to get rare earths for the Leaf batteries, in order to gain an advantage.

Edit: There are Chinese trade practices I don’t agree with. Most notably their rampant IP theft of anything manufactured in their country. The existence of this practice, and the fact that large companies deliberately manufacture in China BECAUSE of this practice pisses me off. Large companies love it because their products leak, and after a year China has a knockoff that pushes everyone else out of the market, while the large company has moved onto a newer model that sells a bigger feature set.
edit on 2-6-2019 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

You're going to see an exodus of businesses from china. They're communists kind of pretending to be capitalists. The latest move from china is that they're going to take over any business they think is harming them in their trade negotiations (read: anyone who puts financial interest above china). No sane, foreign or profit motivated business person sticks around in that climate. China is going to implode on itself. It's actually kind of sad and funny at the same time.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Stop... back up... reverse that.

www.politico.com...

President Donald Trump could face yet another disapproval vote in Congress if he moves forward with new tariffs on Mexico, potentially setting up a major clash with Senate Republicans.

Trump could face new GOP rebuke on Mexico tariffs The president may have to declare another national emergency — putting Republicans in a tough spot if Congress votes to block it.

And if Congress does take a vote, the result could be a spectacle similar to this winter’s showdown, when 12 Senate Republicans opposed Trump’s national emergency declaration on the southern border to build his wall after he was rebuffed by Congress.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: underpass61
a reply to: olaru12

Nobody's talking about a bag of groceries. Throw 5% on the price of that new Chevy Silverado pickup and people are gonna look for something made elsewhere, like here in the U.S.A.
Get it?

Ahh. So what you really want is to force Americans to buy American even though we're producing inferior goods at a higher price?

The ultimate solution to being unable to compete... ban your competition from the marketplace.

Nope. Like Trump I want Mexico to step up and take some responsibility for their part in the illegal immigrant situation. Perhaps these American car makers who are making a profit by exporting labor will put some pressure on the Mexican government to address the situation. That is all.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Yeah, because trump was so worried about the last vote. Congress wants the cheap labor. There's a reason they haven't fixed it in the last 30 years and theres a reason they're fighting tooth and nail to keep it from being fixed now. They are ok with human trafficking, drug addiction, and the violence if it means they get to line their pockets from slave labor.

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Let's Keep A GREAT Thing Going: twitter.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Mitch McConnell and Ted Cruz send messages to the white house.

Tell them they didn't get a single vote.

On Mexico tariffs.

edit on 652019 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

Why should mexico be the one paying. These people are fleeing inhuman horrible conditions. Why should anyone "have to pay" to make sure their families are safe.
Ugly ugly way to be.
Good thing they are all, EVERY ONE OF THEM, voting against this.

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Thats why the GOP voted against it too huh?
Maybe they know just a bit more about tariffs than you.... and trump who knows next to nothing. about anything....

posted on Jun, 5 2019 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Looks like yet another EO being shot down by the legislature.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join