It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are lucky people so arrogant?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 03:12 AM
link   
LOL

Seriously!

Everyone is always searching for the secret to success and/or happiness. The truth is that it's all luck. The existence of this planet is just random chance. If you live long enough to watch the mighty fall, you will realize they never had any secret trick that made everything work for them. It just happened to them and they reaped the rewards. That's it. That's all it is. They didn't do anything special except exist. And if you aren't one of them, you didn't really do anything wrong except exist.

Why isn't this basic fact more widely recognized? One reason. The people who were not born with a lucky hand would probably just give up. That isn't profitable. Your suffering is probably the only thing of any real value that you possess. Perhaps there is a way to parlay that into success. If you're lucky enough to have the natural talent to do so.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
LOL

Seriously!

Everyone is always searching for the secret to success and/or happiness. The truth is that it's all luck. The existence of this planet is just random chance. If you live long enough to watch the mighty fall, you will realize they never had any secret trick that made everything work for them. It just happened to them and they reaped the rewards. That's it. That's all it is. They didn't do anything special except exist. And if you aren't one of them, you didn't really do anything wrong except exist.

Why isn't this basic fact more widely recognized? One reason. The people who were not born with a lucky hand would probably just give up. That isn't profitable. Your suffering is probably the only thing of any real value that you possess. Perhaps there is a way to parlay that into success. If you're lucky enough to have the natural talent to do so.

But if it's just random chance, how can you parlay something into success?

Something is wrong with your theory...

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
LOL

Seriously!

But if it's just random chance, how can you parlay something into success?

Something is wrong with your theory...

Nope. You red it wong. You cannot parlay it into success unless you're lucky enough to be able to in the first place.

For example, you could spend your entire life doing everything someone else did and they succeeded but you didn't because your luck was just #.
edit on 30-5-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I've had this conversation with people many times over the years, and this is my own take.

Yes, some people do get lucky. They are either born into wealth or business, or they develop a new and fantastic product or business model, and have the brains to do so; Or, quite simply, they made it only because, as mentioned in the OP, they are so arrogant.

I've met my fair share of wealthy people and millionaires, and I can say from my own experience that most of them are complete *snip*holes.

It seems it's easier making it to the top by stepping on toes and crapping on those below you.

If one isn't lucky or particularly intelligent, but wants to make it to the top and become wealthy, one must sell their soul and become the aforementioned *snip*hole.

Like I say, this is just my own observation.

ETA, I realise that *snip*holes exist on all levels of society, but I find that the majority of wealthy (millionaires+) are their own, special, unique kind of *snip*holes.

edit on 30/5/2019 by MerkabaTribeEntity because: ETA

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

I think it's more about recognizing and seizing opportunities given to you. Some people arent given any while others have them handed to them and in between there is a broad spectrum of people who need to work for them or go looking for them. And luck is part of that.

Cosmic evolution isnt luck tho, its inevitable to happen.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Genuine question with no sideways motives. Do you believe you've been unsuccessful?
edit on 30/5/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

Genuine question with no sideways motives. Do you believe you've been unsuccessful?

The thread isn't (specifically) about me. It's more of an abstract point. An observation about the way things are that applies to everyone. Obviously, I am affected by it, as I'm one of everyone. However, generally, my observation is that lucky people act like they did something to earn good luck. Which they didn't. They could have just as easily been hit with bad luck. The idea that you earned good luck would have to mean you earned bad luck. Which is obviously not a fact.

I suppose you can see it as though lucky people are "special" in the context of not everyone is this and not everyone is that. But even if this person or that person is special they didn't make good luck happen. It just did. There is no call for arrogance in that.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Luck does play a part in success.
But only a part.
Labron James was born a genetic freak.
Then he busted his ass to do something with it.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Luck does play a part in success.

Luck (chance) is everything. Without it, you don't exist.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Then you are lucky to be alive.
See how lucky you are?

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Then you are lucky to be alive.
See how lucky you are?

I'm lucky to be alive in the same way that someone who has cancer is lucky to have cancer. LOL

But again. This is a more objective observation. There are more than 2 people in the universe. I see them whereas you are focusing only on me.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaTribeEntity
I've had this conversation with people many times over the years, and this is my own take.

Yes, some people do get lucky. They are either born into wealth or business, or they develop a new and fantastic product or business model, and have the brains to do so; Or, quite simply, they made it only because, as mentioned in the OP, they are so arrogant.

I've met my fair share of wealthy people and millionaires, and I can say from my own experience that most of them are complete *snip*holes.

Success is more than just money. For example, you can get lucky and win the lottery but still be unlucky enough to have the wrong type of mind to take advantage of it in a way that will work out well in the long run.

I saw an article somewhere about some redneck who won a bunch of money and ended up broke again in short order because that was just the kind of brain he had. The type of person who can't boil water won't be able to create a gourmet meal in a consistent fashion no matter what they do. It's just not them.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Yeah, half the people in the world live in poverty stricken countries without internet access.

Luck is a bit subjective I guess.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Yeah, half the people in the world live in poverty stricken countries without internet access.

Luck is a bit subjective I guess.

And the other half of them live in countries that are ostensibly not poverty stricken but still are miserable turdholes for the vast majority of people who live in them (since we can't say the grown up word here). Of course to admit this would be to admit that good luck is a lot rarer than it's claimed to be. Since you can be "lucky" enough to be a born slave in a gilded cage. And at the end of the day, you can rush home and hop on the internet and complain for a few minutes before you have to start getting ready to get back in the salt mines tomorrow.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Oh, and BTW, I totally agree that it is a pure stroke of luck that we exist in a time and place where we can use the internet. That is entirely my point. You could have been born a thousand years ago and I could have been born a 300 years in the future. Or one or both of us never at all.

This is not a "mine's bigger" thread.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I disagree.

I think we create our own "luck". We create our own opportunities for success.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
"Luck," in this context, has to be interpreted as random chance because it is either positive or negative. Nobody has more power over positive random chance than they do the negative kind. It is all random. There are no supernatural forces working to favor or disfavor anyone.

And it is the personality types that recognize and take advantage of positive opportunities that tend to be more successful than those that either cannot perceive opportunities or consciously choose to ignore them. Success and failure, for most people, occurs over time and is due to patterns of behavior.

The vast majority of successful people are defined by how they handle failure.

Some people are spectacularly fortunate. They're born with a silver spoon in their mouth, and a few of these types do turn out to be nice people. Some people win the Powerball and a few of these types do something good with their winnings. Others are spectacular failures in life, such as those types of people that are homeless by choice (yes they do exist despite what some people might have you believe). But we cannot include the spectacular winners and losers in this discussion because they are at the extreme opposite ends of the bell curve.

To the original question about arrogance--it goes back to personality type. Take a quick look around at industry, the military, politics, etc. You'll quickly learn the ones that rise to the rank of CEO, general, congressperson, governor, etc., generally are similar types that have a vision (good or bad); they are driven. They work long hours, they demand a lot from themselves and others around them, they tend to not tolerate those with opposing viewpoints, and they have egos that enter the room before they do. It goes with the territory.

If you worked for a company owner that took every suggestion made by the employees and implemented it as company policy, that company wouldn't last long. You'd be back in the job market in short order.

Try hard to prevent superstitions from ruling your life. It's not easy, but it can be done.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

My husband and his best friend of 30 years are as opposite as ever. My hubby has been successful and seemingly lucky and his friend has not. It is a guarantee that Negative Ned will be whining and sharing a new bad luck story every time he visits. My husband has to hold back and not share his newest good fortune stories so not to depress his buddy.

I sit and observe. Even questioned how could one be so lucky and the other not. After 10 years of observing, I have realized the differences. It is attitude. Not luck.

Luck, good and bad, doesn't evolve out of the blue randomly. Your attitude effects personal decisions and choices that veer you towards outcomes. You are only recognizing the moment of final outcome and not recognizing the many paths chosen in between.

Successful people tend to seemingly become arrogant because they recognize this truth. They seem like arrogant asses to those who refuse to believe that they have any real personal input in their life decisions.

The victimized mental state rules their decision making ability and life. They have given up on themselves.

Edit add: for simple clarification of one example: why friend is always let go from jobs. He is not a team player, lacks social skills, will only do what work he is contracted to do...no more no less. Always complaining. When he gets let go...it is just random bad luck. It will continue until he changes and realizes it was not bad luck, it is his mental attitude.
edit on 5 30 2019 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TheTruthRocks

Haha! We were on the same wave length at the same time! Starred your post and wanted to say cheers for the excellent post.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I disagree.

I think we create our own "luck".

Demerits for not reading the thread. You cannot create anything if you don't exist.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join