It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who walks first - Gents or Ladies?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Not consciously no.

Be whatever you identify as.

I'm like the census-person these days.
You tell me how you identify, I don't impose it.

Yeah many years back, when lgbt people were really discriminated against, I may have said this or the other.

But life moves on.

Flip it has to.

edit on 29-5-2019 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

I guess I favor equality of the sexes -- both ladies and gents go into the door at the same time, and smooch on the way through!

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

As far as I am concerned men can talk about whatever they want.

I love it when a man opens a door for me and I am thankful to everyone who opens a door for me. I also, will offer to help any man that has a heavy load that he is trying to put in his truck.

Both sexes are on this world together and I HATE the crazy feminists who have destroyed what used to be common courtesy, etc.

It makes me fume reading the mens' comments on here about being reprimanded, fearful to enter elevators alone with a women, etc. Certain women think they have empowered themselves by scolding men for manners, etc., when all they have done is created a fear atmosphere out in public. It's not right.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Does that include a trip to the receiving end of a firing squad.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

I always look to make sure that I don't drop a door on anyone.... and hold it open if there is someone...anyone. I do it for everyone, male, female, young and old.

Right on. A lot of times I will change the pace of my walk,,, slow down, not speed up. I tend to walk fast, so that i can open the door just a couple of feet in front of them, not 8 feet. lol...

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I hold the door for whoever is behind me. Doesn't matter if male or female and it's just ridiculous to get so bent out of shape over it.

I do a lot of online gaming and few things irritate me more than a female freaking out with "I'm a GIRL!!" because she got called Dude or Bro. Just get on with your gaming and stop acting like someone just intentionally tried to offend you. I call my kids Dude all the time and we're all female. That word has lost all connection to gender for us. It's just a way to refer to each other.

I'm too old for all this SJW/Feminist nonsense.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I always thank anyone who holds a door for me. I also offer to hold doors for others, but if they insist, especially the gentlemen, I will go first and let them hold and thank them.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
The "emancipated" German ladies.
All the manners I learnt - forget them.
I wait for her to get in the elevator.
No she insists I must go first.

Coming out of the elevator at the bottom. Another impasse.
You go first - no you go first.
Worse than four liberals at a four-way stop.
No but I insist, no I insist.
OK fine, I need the gents, it obviously doesn't matter.

All good, but later in the day.
Then get to Willowbridge thinking nobody cares.
In the northern suburbs.
I storm out the elevator - and everyone gasps.
And this dude says: "Whatever happened to ladies first?"

Depends on what part of the country you're in if you're in America. I never walk in before a lady, absolutely never. I've always held the door for them. I'd feel extremely rude if I walked in before them. At work, I'm almost the only person here who holds the door for women. A few others do it rarely. I usually find myself speed walking to the door if someone is in front of me because they'll walk in and let it shut behind them. I let it roll off my shoulders though, people are rude these days so it's nice to know my gentleman ways are becoming one of a kind. One woman really pissed me off one day though when I was right behind her and she literally opened the door just enough that she could squeeze in and I almost ran right into it. Damned old bat.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Whether or not I hold the door for people behind me depends on how far behind me they are. I like to move fast, so I'm not going to stand there all day waiting on folks to poke their way in from the parking lot.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Maybe Germany's different than here in the States... but these days it's more reciprocal courtesy than the gentlemen always needing to do it for the ladies. So whoever is closest to the door holds it for the next, and whoever is at the front of the elevator exits before those in the back.

I suppose if both men and women are at the front, it might be a nice gesture to allow the ladies to go first, but not necessary. At least I wouldn't think anything, as long as no one's pushing others out of their way to get in/out the door first! That's just rude and inappropriate no matter who does it.

Really? I couldn't do it. I've always let the women go first, and the elderly. But I do see your point. I've heard a woman bitching about a guy holding the door for her and saying he must do it because he thinks she's too weak to do it on her own. That's the type of person I wouldn't mind letting the door slam on, but being too much of a gentleman, I'd still probably hold the door if placed in that situation, or laugh it off, say ok then, and walk inside.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Whenever a gentleman opens the door for me I graciously accept, give them a big smile and thank you.

You'd be shocked how many men are shocked at this. I always, always always hold the door open for the elderly.

A side story. I was in starbucks rushing out. There was a lady behind me, I had a coffee, she had a coffee. I did the kind thing and held the door open behind me, she decided she didn't want to touch the door with her prissy hands and left me stretched out like some kind of doorman. She mocked my kind gesture. Well the joke was on her when I let go of the door and proceeded out the other one. She wasn't expecting that I was going to let go and spilled the coffee on herself. I laughed all the way to my car.

I encounter women like you all the time when I open doors for them. Elderly as well, they still greatly appreciate an old fashioned gentleman, especially in young people.

As far as the old bat at Starbucks, sometimes you have to give what you get so you did good.
edit on 29-5-2019 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Vroomfondel

"You think I need you to open a door for me?" She said it as if I just implied she is absolutely helpless in life without men.

You should have replied, "Oh, my bad, I thought you were a lady" and then walked on. Don't let people like that stop you from being a gentleman. There are plenty of people like me that appreciate it.

AHHHHAHA!!! Oh man that's PERFECT! I'm using that if the opportunity ever presents itself. But being in Louisiana and doing all my work and play in red cities, it just doesn't happen.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
a reply to: Itisnowagain

I always look to make sure that I don't drop a door on anyone.... and hold it open if there is someone...anyone. I do it for everyone, male, female, young and old.

Right on. A lot of times I will change the pace of my walk,,, slow down, not speed up. I tend to walk fast, so that i can open the door just a couple of feet in front of them, not 8 feet. lol...

Lol, that's always a tough decision... Stand there holding the door for someone far enough away that the door will completely close before the make it there, or stand holding it and look like a creeper. I was taking my son into daycare once and I held the door for the lady and her kid coming up, then another was coming up so I held the door for them, and then another who was about 20 feet away. I saw her pick up her pace so I couldn't walk away. By the time I finally got into the daycare, my wife had dropped my son off and signed the sign-in sheet. Oh well, they all know me up there so they know I'm no creeper.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Whether or not I hold the door for people behind me depends on how far behind me they are. I like to move fast, so I'm not going to stand there all day waiting on folks to poke their way in from the parking lot.

Well yeah, that's a little extreme lol. But I'll stand there for 10 to 15 seconds (doesn't seem like a long time but it is when you're waiting on someone) though.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   
In my youth, yeah Aerosmith - love in an elevator.

Nowadays, no I rather not enter.

I know some want me dead already - so kill me twice.

First floor, second floor - ladies' lingerie.

www.theatlantic.com...

edit on 29-5-2019 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Aren't Jewish women supposed to walk three steps behind their husbands? I assume that this is because the world used to be (still is) a dangerous place and the man is supposed to move first and take any kind of attack that might be lurking ahead. Since men are stronger and honestly more expendable then women. I was taught from day one to protect women, although over the years I've found it prudent to often just stay the hell out of the way, particularly if a man and a woman are fighting. Good way to get killed.

So the answer? Ladies first, with the gentleman looking out for the lady and prepared to respond to any immediate danger or threats.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Apparently, the middle East kind of views the doorman gesture or being the last one entering is a sign of dominance, like being the host of a house. I saw one video of George Bush Jr., with an Arab walking into the house, and they were really pushy about it.

Here going it first is the sign of a warlord.
edit on 29-5-2019 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-5-2019 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I've always let the women go first, and the elderly. But I do see your point. I've heard a woman bitching about a guy holding the door for her and saying he must do it because he thinks she's too weak to do it on her own. That's the type of person I wouldn't mind letting the door slam on, but being too much of a gentleman, I'd still probably hold the door if placed in that situation, or laugh it off, say ok then, and walk inside.

That's probably the best attitude to have for your own peace of mind, so good for you!

I've heard such critters exist but never had the misfortune to encounter one! These days anyone can turn a courtesy into a microaggression... and good deeds have never gone unpunished anyway, so not much to do about it. Except not let them get to us! I tend to find the ones who rush and/or push thru without a "thanks" or even looking your way (often because their eyes are on their phone). Ugh. All this connectivity sure has made some rude to the folks all around them, eh?

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
And now for something completely different.

Cape Town's waters polluted 400 times greater than expected.
www.youtube.com...

Who shall dive in first?

Beauty before age.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: acrux
Had an experience where elevators door open, 1 woman in middle of lift at very front.
Waited for her to come out, which she didn't.
to enter I had to walk sideways where she then steps back.
I try to reach for button to activate floor where woman keeps stepping back and forth blocking me.
To get to the button I eventually have to nearly do a full circle around her.
When we reach her floor she asserts how arrogant and rude I was despite no exchange of words.
I later get called into see boss where I am accused of sexual harassment.
Even when a bloke does nothing he loses

Try some words like "excuse me" next time. She might of just been a bitch though.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join