It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who walks first - Gents or Ladies?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The "emancipated" German ladies.
All the manners I learnt - forget them.
I wait for her to get in the elevator.
No she insists I must go first.

Coming out of the elevator at the bottom. Another impasse.
You go first - no you go first.
Worse than four liberals at a four-way stop.
No but I insist, no I insist.
OK fine, I need the gents, it obviously doesn't matter.

All good, but later in the day.
Then get to Willowbridge thinking nobody cares.
In the northern suburbs.
I storm out the elevator - and everyone gasps.
And this dude says: "Whatever happened to ladies first?"

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Whoever is closest to the door.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

The first nail in the ladies first coffin started with the burning of the bra's....

The last nail was the women make less money than men myth..

They can open their own damn doors now...

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
And just as much as she thinks I'm a rapist, so I think she might be a crazy woman trying to entrap me.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I'll wait for the the next elevator, thanks.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Maybe Germany's different than here in the States... but these days it's more reciprocal courtesy than the gentlemen always needing to do it for the ladies. So whoever is closest to the door holds it for the next, and whoever is at the front of the elevator exits before those in the back.

I suppose if both men and women are at the front, it might be a nice gesture to allow the ladies to go first, but not necessary. At least I wouldn't think anything, as long as no one's pushing others out of their way to get in/out the door first! That's just rude and inappropriate no matter who does it.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
That's what I love about Middle Eastern countries

The genders are so segregated, you never have to worry about this nonsense.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Whenever a gentleman opens the door for me I graciously accept, give them a big smile and thank you.

You'd be shocked how many men are shocked at this. I always, always always hold the door open for the elderly.

A side story. I was in starbucks rushing out. There was a lady behind me, I had a coffee, she had a coffee. I did the kind thing and held the door open behind me, she decided she didn't want to touch the door with her prissy hands and left me stretched out like some kind of doorman. She mocked my kind gesture. Well the joke was on her when I let go of the door and proceeded out the other one. She wasn't expecting that I was going to let go and spilled the coffee on herself. I laughed all the way to my car.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Chivalry code is dead.

I hold the door long enough for your hand to grab it, if you are right behind me. And I give you a 3 count before I exit the elevator.

I have been told off for holding the door, and for not, and for waiting in the elevator, and for not. When faced with a 50/50 reaction, regardless of my action, I will always pick the optimum for my action, and disregard the reaction.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
it is a deeper seeded problem than I previously believed.

On one hand, you have women saying that men have no right to talk about pregnancy or abortion because that is a woman thing. Women empowering other women, the #metoo movement, etc. Then you have Taylor Swift who won't answer a question about whether she wants to have children someday because it is a gendered question.

So as men, we are supposed to accept the idea that pregnancy and abortion are gendered and since it is not our gender we have no say in the matter. But we are also supposed to accept that idea that asking a member of the correct gender for pregnancy a question about pregnancy is wrong because it is a gendered question.

Then add to that mess the idea that we are supposed to accept anyone who just decides one day they are not the gender they were born as and we are now supposed to respect the gender they just chose to be. How the hell do you talk to that guy/girl?

It is so stupid. Right from the start, this is just stupid.

On the issue of door. I opened a door for one woman who looked at me and said, "You think I need you to open a door for me?" She said it as if I just implied she is absolutely helpless in life without men. The very next door I went through I ignored the woman coming the other way the same way I would if it were a man. She looked at me like I was some kind of heathen animal for not opening the door and making way for her.

There is no winning this for either side.
edit on 29-5-2019 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
It is so stupid. Right from the start, this is just stupid.

The best response to equations with irrational answers and ever changing irrational variables, is to stop wasting time on the equation.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

I always look to make sure that I don't drop a door on anyone.... and hold it open if there is someone...anyone.

I do it for everyone, male, female, young and old.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

I always look to make sure that I don't drop a door on anyone.... and hold it open if there is someone...anyone.

Yup, thats about how it's done here.

I want to note, never have, or seen anyone be scolded for holding a door open.
edit on 29-5-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

"You think I need you to open a door for me?" She said it as if I just implied she is absolutely helpless in life without men.

You should have replied, "Oh, my bad, I thought you were a lady" and then walked on. Don't let people like that stop you from being a gentleman. There are plenty of people like me that appreciate it.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

correct answer = " did you just assume my gender ? "

or " i am a laydeeee "

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

I do the same and never had any issue.

It's almost as if some people are trying to manufacture a problem out of nothing.
edit on 29-5-2019 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Had an experience where elevators door open, 1 woman in middle of lift at very front.
Waited for her to come out, which she didn't.
to enter I had to walk sideways where she then steps back.
I try to reach for button to activate floor where woman keeps stepping back and forth blocking me.
To get to the button I eventually have to nearly do a full circle around her.
When we reach her floor she asserts how arrogant and rude I was despite no exchange of words.
I later get called into see boss where I am accused of sexual harassment.
Even when a bloke does nothing he loses
edit on 29-5-2019 by acrux because: (no reason given)

link   
duplicate

link   
duplicate

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: acrux

I think it was the no exchange of words.......
What's wrong with saying 'excuse me'?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join