It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who needs the government? Build the wall!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

$3000 a foot. One or a few companies will be making a killing on this as long as they can keep finding people to donate. Greed may prove to be what gets the wall built.

An 18' steel bollard fence at $3000 a foot 1s a pretty decent price. That's steel tube they're using, and it's not cheap. Not to mention it's internally reinforced. I doubt the contractors are really going to make that much on the wall at that price, just a reasonable profit.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

We could put in the Great Wall of China x10 and someone would still figure out a way to get across. The idea has never been to make it impossible to scale; it is just to make it so difficult that CBP can get there before the invaders run across the road.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Nice!
Like an iron curtain of freedom!

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   

The privately funded border wall is in violation of city ordinance, according to Javier Perea, the mayor of City of Sunland Park.

A cease-and-desist order given to the owner of the property, Perea said.

Link

Seems as though nearly every government and official is against the border wall, with the exception of the US president.
edit on 5/28/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

$1 million for just under 110 yards of steel fence.

... and from someone who used to work in real estate & construction, no less.

www.homeadvisor.com... l-fence/

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
Nice!

Da!

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
And another thing...the wall probably doesn't have to be the full 2,000 miles long. Illegals only cross where there's somewhere to go (i.e cities and towns, etc). (and maybe this is where Redneck was going) If you start the wall at the most likely destinations for illegals and build outward from those points in both directions, it becomes increasingly more difficult and perilous for those illegals who do make it across.

I'd wager you could build 1/4 or 1/3 of the wall and knock out 99% of the illegal problem. In that case, my $4b estimate goes down to just over $1b.

Well it's hard to build a wall where most of the illegal entrants to the US now enter.

They come in by 'plane and overstay their visa.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

And another thing...the wall probably doesn't have to be the full 2,000 miles long. Illegals only cross where there's somewhere to go (i.e cities and towns, etc). (and maybe this is where Redneck was going) If you start the wall at the most likely destinations for illegals and build outward from those points in both directions, it becomes increasingly more difficult and perilous for those illegals who do make it across.

I'd wager you could build 1/4 or 1/3 of the wall and knock out 99% of the illegal problem. In that case, my $4b estimate goes down to just over $1b.

Well it's hard to build a wall where most of the illegal entrants to the US now enter.

They come in by 'plane and overstay their visa.

Visa overstays account for about 500,000 a year and we don't check to see if a lot of them actually left.

We are slated to apprehend about a million illegal border crossers this year if the numbers stay steady, which they are not.

They are increasing.

They figure apprehensions are about 40-55% of all the people crossing illegally.

So no Virginia, Visa overstays are not the real problem.

After all, those with visas have already been vetted.

Keep up.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I don't understand...why is this frigging wall so expensive to build????

I can drive a half a mile of sheet piling for less than a million dollars! Seriously. And, that's all that's really required here. (Note - and, it's all they're really doing in the picture). It's gonna' take a pretty industrious fella to cut a hole in a piece of sheet pile too! Sure, it can be done, but not by some wetback in a pickup truck and it ain't gonna be very big either (that stuff is tough) Plus, any holes can easily be welded back up again, and be stronger than before.

So, by my numbers, the wall itself should only cost about $4b, not $32b (or anywhere close to it).

You don't need all that fancy equipment like they've got in the picture, just a vibratory sheet piling rig or two. Putting sheets 10-12 feet in the ground only takes a couple minutes per sheet. The biggest challenge would be the sheer shipping and sourcing of the material.

Why does the government have to make everything so flipping difficult???

There is a lot to take into account for costs. Permits for one.
Engineers, certified welders, insurance, environmental impact studies, etc.
As you point out, the actual wall is not that expensive.
What is expensive is all the CYA in a litigious society.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

One thing I don't truly understand is it seems that the whole border has a border patrol perimeter road and a good extra 20 feet or more of extra clearance when you look at Google.

That's why eminent domain is not the issue some want to project it as. The US government has an implied consent to patrol the national border already due to national security. A property owner cannot deny CBP access to the national border.

I also don't understand if a person can own property across the border and once again it looks like different plots on the Mexico side than the America side and not a continued pattern of the same to suggest the land has the same owner.

Only Mexicans can own land on both sides of the border. There are no restrictions (that I know of) on who can own land in the US. In Mexico, however, this is different:

The Mexican Constitution prohibits direct ownership of real estate by foreigners in what has come to be known as the "restricted zone." The restricted zone encompasses all land located within 100 kilometers (about 62 miles) of any Mexican border, and within 50 kilometers (about 31 miles) of any Mexican coastline.

There have been some recent changes that permit US citizens to own property in the restricted zones using something similar to a living trust (the property is held in trust by a Mexican institution for the benefit of a US citizen), but direct ownership is not allowed. That link provides more information.

Do people heard cattle/sheep etc across both sides of the river? I don't know it is even possible.

Only Mexican landowners and Mexican cattle rustlers.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

A new party took power in Congress.. for that entire period the gop ran congress.

It's not that simple, and you know it.

For the first two years of Trump's administration, yes, the GOP held a majority in both houses. During that time, the House did a lot of good, but the Senate requires a 60-vote supermajority to get much done (outside of approving appointments). The GOP held only a slim majority, and the DNC Congress members voted as a block vote.

I don't know about you, but the very idea of block voting bothers me. I want my Senator to be Alabama first, not Republican first or Democrat first. If he/she is going to vote straight party lines all the time, no matter what, I can rig up a damn computer to handle that role and save the US some serious money on salaries and expenses! A freakin' Arduino Teensy 3.1 would handle the task!

Besides, why is the Wall a partisan issue anyway? The only way it can be a partisan issue is if the DNC wants open borders... but they keep saying they don't. Do I believe their words or their actions?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

That link took me to a page that estimates building cost for aluminum or steel fencing I never got a quote... didn't have a street address. But the questions were tailored for a homeowner-style fence. We're talking about an 18-foot tall reinforced steel bollard fence.

You might as well say someone spent too much on a skyscraper in New York because you can build a house for $60 a foot.

But, what else did I expect from you? You were a fencing contractor before you were an electrical engineer, right?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

That link took me to a page that estimates building cost for aluminum or steel fencing I never got a quote... didn't have a street address. But the questions were tailored for a homeowner-style fence. We're talking about an 18-foot tall reinforced steel bollard fence.

You might as well say someone spent too much on a skyscraper in New York because you can build a house for $60 a foot.

But, what else did I expect from you? You were a fencing contractor before you were an electrical engineer, right?

TheRedneck

I wasn't ever employed as an electrical engineer. I designed and built electronics and I studied electronic engineering. Nor was I a fencing contractor.

You don't have to do something for a job, to have knowledge of the subject. In these days of Internet connectivity and search engines, anyone with a reasonable general knowledge can look things up.

And, yes, I was comparing retail prices for consumer steel security fences, which are usually about 9 feet high, half of the height of the border steel security fence.

As a number of people have pointed out, the cost quoted are massively overpriced. It's like some contractors have done a deal with some corrupt official.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Did they apply for the proper permit and premission to construct that wall on the US Border ?

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

If they own the land (or if the landowner is good with it) who cares? I have never understood this concept of asking for (and paying for) permission to use something one already owns. When I built my shop, my first action was not to ask anyone for permission. My land, I started digging holes for the supports.

But as I understand it, they did get permits, then the mayor tried to pull the permits, then the mayor relented.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you over your alleged omnipotence.

I was comparing retail prices for consumer steel security fences, which are usually about 9 feet high, half of the height of the border steel security fence.

Industrial also costs much more than residential, primarily because it is designed for more heavy-duty applications. In addition, doubling height of a structure does not just double the cost; there are additional considerations to supporting a structure that is tall. Wind loading increases exponentially, for instance, and so do foundational stresses.

I find it very interesting that not very long ago, you were the one complaining about how the wall would cost many times what Trump originally estimated... now you're complaining that the wall is costing too much because it's coming in under his budget. Did you actually have a price in mind, or is that just a standard complaint you pull out when you don't have anything else?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Sorry I'm not going to go commit the detestable act of fiddling some child's privates for the purpose of being blackmailed so the PTB can control me and make me one of them.

Becoming a government official of any real standing or power requires selling your soul and commiting detestable and easily blackmailed acts to make sure you stay to heel.

Is why there's hope Trump might be legit, he's not a politician and thus never needed to go into the "hazing" process. He might not be a full monster controlled through depravity.

Is part of why I'm not sure things can be fixed peacefully. Good honest people can't get anywhere in politics anymore. It's not a public service anymore. It's corrupt #ery that you sell your soul to be a part of or you get no where. You become a politician because depravity doesn't bother you or you straight up desire it and you want the perks of corporate bribery.

If you're a good honest person that is incorruptible and wants to make a difference no one will back you and if you do manage to get anywhere despite this, you will be framed and destroyed.

So sick of people saying, if you don't like how politicians are doing things become one yourself as if it's that easy and there's no corruption in your way making it basically impossible to fix it from within.

The only way that could be done would be if enough people banded togethet to make an overly large party of citizens. But then you have to contend with people inserting themselves into your group and sabotaging it from within. Something we can't do to them because of the depravity required to be a part of their group.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
So Mexico isn't paying for the wall.

The government isn't paying for the wall.

Private U.S. citizens are paying for the wall.

And this is winning?
Yes, because these are DONATIONS from people who WANT THE WALL. These are the result of those who want action now and don't feel like waiting for the slow process that bureaucracy is here in the states.

The Government has been allocating money for the wall and private citizens are willingy putting the money forward, not being forced.

However, mad fail on the twist and spin, you know what you were doing.

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
Nice!
I now right?! more like the Iron Curtain of savings, the billions we lose on Illegal immigration will now be reduced significantly!

posted on Jun, 2 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you over your alleged omnipotence.

I was comparing retail prices for consumer steel security fences, which are usually about 9 feet high, half of the height of the border steel security fence.

Industrial also costs much more than residential, primarily because it is designed for more heavy-duty applications. In addition, doubling height of a structure does not just double the cost; there are additional considerations to supporting a structure that is tall. Wind loading increases exponentially, for instance, and so do foundational stresses.

I find it very interesting that not very long ago, you were the one complaining about how the wall would cost many times what Trump originally estimated... now you're complaining that the wall is costing too much because it's coming in under his budget. Did you actually have a price in mind, or is that just a standard complaint you pull out when you don't have anything else?

TheRedneck

You are 'twisting in the wind' there to try and justify a way overpriced construction cost. Yes, heavier materials and a doubling in height adds to the cost. It doesn't multiply the cost by hundreds.

However, Trump's initial estimated price for the wall was $4 - $5 billion. It is currently estimated to be $20 billion. When you say i is coming in under his budget, which one, exactly, do you mean?

Take your pick:

Sept. 14, 2015
“So, let’s say it costs $4 or $5 billion. Our trade deficit with Mexico is $53 billion. So $4 or $5 billion is peanuts.” — Speech in Dallas

Oct. 7, 2015
“You mean to tell me I can’t take $7 billion and build a wall?” — Speech in Waterloo, Iowa

Oct. 14, 2015
“If the wall costs $6 billion to build, and you know we’re talking about 1,000 miles, it’s 2,000, but you need it on 1,000. The Great Wall of China, think of it, is 13,000 miles.” — Speech in Richmond, Va.

Feb. 9, 2016
“The wall is probably $8 billion.” — Interview on MSNBC

Feb. 17, 2016
'Maybe $10 or $12 Billion'
President Trump talks about the cost of a border wall during a town hall in Charleston, S.C.

Nov. 2, 2017
“First of all, they say the wall is going to cost $40 billion — the Democrats are saying. We’re talking less than half.” — Interview on Fox News

Jan. 18, 2018
" ....The Wall will be paid for, directly or indirectly, or through longer term reimbursement, by Mexico, which has a ridiculous $71 billion dollar trade surplus with the U.S. The $20 billion dollar Wall is “peanuts” compared to what Mexico makes from the U.S. NAFTA is a bad joke! - Twitter 11:25 PM - Jan 18, 2018

... and, it still isn't "coming in under his budget". This is the cost of construction in flat desert. Imagine how much extra it will cost in more difficult terrain (and I am aware that there are areas where no wall is needed, but there are far more areas where the terrain is difficult and a wall would be likely to be needed to stop foot traffic.

Approx $3,000 per foot x approx 2,000 miles x 5,280 feet/mile = $31.68 billion.

edit on 2/6/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join