It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who needs the government? Build the wall!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 28 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I think someone just overruled Judge Haywood Gilliam Jr. He's the US District Judge who just decided that Pentagon funds could not be used for border wall construction, despite law that says differently.

50 USC § 1622:

(a) Termination methodsAny national emergency declared by the President in accordance with this subchapter shall terminate if—
    (1) there is enacted into law a joint resolution terminating the emergency; or
    (2) the President issues a proclamation terminating the emergency.
Any national emergency declared by the President shall be terminated on the date specified in any joint resolution referred to in clause (1) or on the date specified in a proclamation by the President terminating the emergency as provided in clause (2) of this subsection, whichever date is earlier, and any powers or authorities exercised by reason of said emergency shall cease to be exercised after such specified date, except that such termination shall not affect—
    (A) any action taken or proceeding pending not finally concluded or determined on such date;
    (B) any action or proceeding based on any act committed prior to such date; or
    (C) any rights or duties that matured or penalties that were incurred prior to such date.

If the funding was already made to the border, terminating the National Emergency does not change that funding, only future fundings.

The judge's decision, however, only affects funding. That funding issue seems to have been at least partially bypassed by a group who have decided that, since the Congress won't act, and the courts are trying to prevent the President from acting, they will act:

A private group announced Monday that it has constructed a half-mile wall along a section of the U.S.-Mexico border in New Mexico, in what it said was a first in the border debate.

The 18-foot steel bollard wall is similar to the designs used by the Border Patrol, sealing off a part of the border that had been a striking gap in existing fencing, according to We Build the Wall, the group behind the new section.

The section was also built faster and, organizers say, likely more cheaply than the government has been able to manage in recent years.

So far, they have spent $8 million for a half-mile of steel bollard fencing, the same kind of barrier Trump had decided on. The border itself is about 2000 miles, so at this rate the cost will be around $32 billion if a wall was constructed the entire length. But of course, that is not only not needed, but quite impossible/impractical. Natural barriers and ports of entry, as well as areas which do have a barrier already, decrease that distance substantially. I would not be surprised if the wall could not be built for under the estimated $25 billion.

Now, there will those naysayers coming in who will say that a half-mile does nothing... easy to walk around. To them, I say that there are literally miles of fences marking off pastures around me, and every single one started the exact same way: just a hole in the ground with a post in it. That post by itself is useless. But keep digging holes and putting up posts, keep stringing sections between them, and pretty soon you have a completely fenced in pasture.

There will also be those who will point out that there are holdouts along the border who own the land and will oppose the wall. Yes, there are, and a private enterprise has absolutely no power to force their way onto private land. But that opposition is a dynamic that can change. Simply build a wall to their property line and stop it. The illegals will then be forced to cross their property to get into the US, and they will get the honor of being on the front lines of the situation. Those "not on my property" cries will soon enough turn into "someone help me build a wall!" Even if there are a few hard-line holdouts, once the effectiveness of the wall is known, it will cost less and be faster to finish those few areas where the holdouts are holding out, and also easier for the Border Patrol to increase patrols in the few areas where they know the smugglers and traffickers are being forced to enter.

And finally, might I point out that this does not in any way affect legal immigration... this only affects illegal immigration. Just a friendly warning so no one hopefully makes a total fool of themselves.

Win-win-win! Are we tired of winning yet?

TheRedneck

+2 more 
posted on May, 28 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

When this proves effective, look for the government to force them to stop.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Stop..just stop...

Your making to much sense for the mudpit.

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That's going to be quite the trick. Private property, private construction, no government financing... pretty much would have to be a complete rescission of personal property rights. Of course, that doesn't mean some idiot with a black toga wouldn't try...

TheRedneck

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I do believe that the government holds the title for the most, "Hold my beer" moments.

I would not put it past them to try.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

More like "hold my meds." No self-respecting beer drinker would stoop to the depths the government is willing to stoop to. Even drunk, we have our standards.

Want proof that government "servants" are not beer drinkers? Kavanaugh drank beer in college, and they couldn't even figure out what a beer-drinking game was!

TheRedneck

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I'm impressed. Gotta love it when people do the job others say is impossible!

In the grand picture, this is freedom and liberty in action, doing what the government refuses to do. I have no doubt -- absolutely no doubt -- that we will soon see a bill in Congress to make this criminal (both this walls and any future walls). But I think it will be a hard sell to the public.

And best of all, no one can unsee this!!! The whole country now knows the gross (and willful) incompetence of Congress, and the power of the people.
edit on 28-5-2019 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I wouldn't put it past the House to pass such a bill, but then they have to get it through the Senate... hard sell, damn hard sell. Then they have to get Trump to sign it. That's not gonna happen, and neither is a 2/3 override in the Senate. That's not even a fantasy.

The only way to do it would be for an idiot in a black toga to try and legislate from the bench. That will get the people riled up.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Ummm...yessir...I was reading this story about 3:30/4:00 this morning...as I was yawning and nodding off I thought...somebody should post this on ATS...

Could have been me...I...could have been the change I wished to see...but nooo

The early bird went back to sleep...no worm for me...no sir...and here I find an absolutely passable rendition of what my sleep befuddled mind was imaginifying…

Thank You Sir...

I thought this story was cool and there are some big names on this newly minted companies board of directors...

Makes me wonder if they we're vying for a contract from the Guv...why the hell did they opt for 18' of barrier instead of thirty?

Looking like someones were hoping for a fat contract...but used go fund me as a startup gimmick...

Who knows...it's still getting a piece of the job done...and poking a sharp stick into the naysayers eye's...

YouSir

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The democratic way is to oppose it until they are in office so they can build it and make the people happy.

No one can do it better.... How dare they!

Makes me think of the tunnels that go under the wall. We could treat them like rat and gopher holes. Fill them with water.

No wait... That would be considered racist.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I think 18 feet is sufficient. Sure, there are ladders which will scale that, but it takes time to set up an extension ladder and it's not inconspicuous crossing the desert carrying one. Not to mention, once on top, getting down the other side is a whole 'nother challenge. They can do it, but I imagine that having two shattered legs will make offenders a bit easier to catch.

I really hope they do get the eventual contracts. They deserve it. This is true initiative.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Fill them with kerosene.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Makes me think of the tunnels that go under the wall. We could treat them like rat and gopher holes. Fill them with water.

We can have Jesse Jackson bless the water first... I hear he could use some extra $$$.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: Boadicea

I wouldn't put it past the House to pass such a bill, but then they have to get it through the Senate... hard sell, damn hard sell. Then they have to get Trump to sign it. That's not gonna happen, and neither is a 2/3 override in the Senate. That's not even a fantasy.

Agreed -- but they'll try! And if the Senate by some chance goes to the Dems in 2020, they'll try again -- although I doubt they'll win by a large enough margin to make any such passage veto-proof. But they'll still try just to get their peeps all agitated.

The only way to do it would be for an idiot in a black toga to try and legislate from the bench. That will get the people riled up.

TheRedneck

Ahhhhhh..... you're so right! And I didn't even think about that. But yes. No doubt they'll try the lawsuit route as well.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
$3000 a foot. One or a few companies will be making a killing on this as long as they can keep finding people to donate. Greed may prove to be what gets the wall built.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Ummm...I remember reading somewhere that they fill those tunnels with concrete...a forever plug so to speak...

I could be wrong...I was wrong once...but I thought I read that somewhere...

YouSir

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
all you guys that rail against our government should go out, put in the time and effort, and get yourself elected. maybe you might have a better appreciation of the work involved.....

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

a reply to: YouSir

I think 18 feet is sufficient. Sure, there are ladders which will scale that, but it takes time to set up an extension ladder and it's not inconspicuous crossing the desert carrying one. Not to mention, once on top, getting down the other side is a whole 'nother challenge. They can do it, but I imagine that having two shattered legs will make offenders a bit easier to catch.

I really hope they do get the eventual contracts. They deserve it. This is true initiative.

TheRedneck

Ummm...well...I don't think 18' is sufficient...I want to see the great wall of the America's rival the Chinese version...not some steel fence posts that a battery op cutting wheel or two couldn't manage...besides...if your going to bring a ladder across the desert...why not bring two...one for the down side as well as the up...

YouSir

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I think this is the company that was in the news that is trying to get a contract for building the wall, but I thought it was going to be in an area that was supposed to be un-wallable. Not a lot of info so this may be that area.

I have nothing against this at all. More power to them... YAY! Just pointing out this is probably a company going for a contract and if it is we should be suspicious of the actual cost if they were to get the contract.
edit on 28-5-2019 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

There will also be those who will point out that there are holdouts along the border who own the land and will oppose the wall. Yes, there are, and a private enterprise has absolutely no power to force their way onto private land. But that opposition is a dynamic that can change.
TheRedneck

One thing I don't truly understand is it seems that the whole border has a border patrol perimeter road and a good extra 20 feet or more of extra clearance when you look at Google. I also don't understand if a person can own property across the border and once again it looks like different plots on the Mexico side than the America side and not a continued pattern of the same to suggest the land has the same owner.

Do people heard cattle/sheep etc across both sides of the river? I don't know it is even possible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join