It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canon - The Importance of Canon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 05:00 AM
link   
While i agree with you canon is important its not fair to blame the writers, they often are fully aware of the history and feel honored they are allowed to write more about it but with a BIG exception, they are not allowed to use the old canon.
Starwars is a good example of this, if you like to know more about why they cannot build on the old story line this might be a intresting read:

star-trek-discovery-enterprise-design/

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Dimens

The most meaningful reply in this thread.

Bravo!

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I am a huge Star Wars nerd but really struggling to understand what the point of this thread is?

Star Wars Cannon is pretty easy to understand, it's basically all of the theatrically released movies, The Clone Wars TV show and then everything published or produced from about 2015 with a few notable exceptions. Other than that it's all Legends.

If in your opinion the character of Luke has been bastardised and hacked up by the writers then thats fine but I don't get how that pertains to cannon, the cannon is what it is. It is cannon that Luke cut himself of form the force sometime after Ben Solo's turn to the dark side, now you might not like that creative decision but it remains cannon regardless of your opinion.

Now as for the god stuff, you lost me once you got onto that.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Jeri0

So you think in the span of 40 years that Star Wars has been bastardized to represent a new vision of what the writers feel Star Wars should be, but you don't think that in over 2000 years men haven't done the same thing to the bible?

That is the point.

It cannot be humanly possible for the Bible written over a period of 2,000 years to remain canon. 42 writers, all different backgrounds.

No human work survives the test of canon beyond just a couple people, or decades. And there are plenty of smart, intelligent, logical people who live, life is abundant with them.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
I am a huge Star Wars nerd but really struggling to understand what the point of this thread is?

What was quite obvious to me is not obvious to others. Even if Disney decided to leave out the Extended Universe (of which Timothy Zahn's works were the best) that is their choice. And if they chose to make canon and destroy canon at the same token so be it.

That is humankind working for you.

It happens all the time. Everywhere.

Can you start to see the importance of canon over such a vast period of time by so many people that is not contradictory. It is not human.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 12:51 AM
link   
If people can reason on what is being said here, they can see that Ryan Johnson was just being human.

And in his being human he proved the superiority of a work of God that does not and cannot break from canon. Because it can only be upheld to the strictest standard of truth.

This also gives us an understanding into the minds of such people who have not been shown such things, or imagine such things do not exist. They are usually arrogant and haughty in their own self-importance, and ignorance. Sometimes it goes beyond that. Sometimes.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join