It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gillette: Transgender Shaving Ad

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: okrian

It might look like a good amount of the US population, but ought we to be signalling to a good amount of the US population that looking like this is OK?

I thought obesity was an epidemic and a crisis and not something to be celebrating as OK.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Legit question, I thought they had the hair transplanted to their face so that shaving it would be a permanent thing. Wouldn't that just be a waste of the transplant for them or is there something I'm missing?

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Legit question, I thought they had the hair transplanted to their face so that shaving it would be a permanent thing. Wouldn't that just be a waste of the transplant for them or is there something I'm missing?

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Rookseven

I believe it's just hormone therapy that causes facial hair, not transplant.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It might look like a good amount of the US population, but ought we to be signalling to a good amount of the US population that looking like this is OK?

I thought obesity was an epidemic and a crisis and not something to be celebrating as OK.

I actually don't think that is a conservative vs. progressive issue. Both sides oddly want to legitimize being totally out of shape and huge. The right does cause they want to eat terribly and not be told be 'be healthy'. The left does cause they don't want to shame anyone. For me personally... the overeating, the gluttony, the purposeful malnutrition, etc is a burden on the rest of society (for a multitude of reasons) and a burden on taxpayers and healthcare industry (and then back on the rest of us) to deal with the avoidable problems incurred.

No signaling needed. Life is short. Take care of yourself.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rookseven

As a woman reaching middle age and "the change", when your estrogen levels start to fall off naturally, your innate testosterone levels start leaving you with hair in places you'd rather it not be. Why do you think so many old women have mustaches?

Now amp that up with artificial testosterone injections and things to suppress your regular estrogen, and yeah, you are going to start growing hair that needs to be shaved.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I think you misunderstand.

As someone on the right who has worked hard to get herself into shape and eat healthy *on her own*, I simply don't think it's the government's place to tell me how to do it, what I should or shouldn't eat, and control that.

Either I do it like the adult I damn well am, or I wallow in the consequences, but it's no one else's place to tell me how to do it or try to force it on me. Yeah, it's disgusting when people decide to be fat slobs and try to blame everyone else for their own failings, but that's *their* choice. It's what liberty means.

The left just wants to blame everyone else for people's lack of personal responsibility.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

On topic: Agreed just a company looking for dollars. In other news water is wet.

Off topic: Can electrolysis get rid of the hair on my head? If not do you know of anything that could permanently get rid of the hair on my head? Or at least something that last longer than shaving.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

who has worked hard to get herself into shape and eat healthy *on her own*, I simply don't think it's the government's place to tell me how to do it, what I should or shouldn't eat, and control that. Either I do it like the adult I damn well am, or I wallow in the consequences, but it's no one else's place to tell me how to do it or try to force it on me.

Agreed.

And furthermore not everyone agrees with you and I about being fit. We do it because it makes us feel good or because we want to look good or because we want to be healthy. But not everyone wants those things. Freedom means being allowed to hurt myself if I want.

I'd rather clean up after the fools that destroy themselves then take freedoms from us all.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The only thing shocking about Gillette's current ad campaign is not why this or that demographic, but why not all of them?

If I was loosing market share as fast as they are, it would be a pretty wide blanket approach, not just one or two at a time.
edit on 27-5-2019 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rookseven

Not making fun of you but you must be young.

Life spoiler alert! Women grow more hair then you might think. And in places that would surprise you.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: Lumenari

On topic: Agreed just a company looking for dollars. In other news water is wet.

Off topic: Can electrolysis get rid of the hair on my head? If not do you know of anything that could permanently get rid of the hair on my head? Or at least something that last longer than shaving.

I honestly have no clue, since I have spent my entire adult life making sure that I have as much hair on my head as possible.

I have a friend that uses Nair on his head. He says that way he doesn't get shaving bumps and it lasts a few weeks.

Other then that I'm sorry but that's entirely out of my area of experience.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Gillette is seeking to alienate their male customers.

If you feel the ad alienates you or negatively affects you, that says more about you than it does about anything or anyone else.

Just saying.

It's just an ad.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: Edumakated

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Gillette is seeking to alienate their male customers.

If you feel the ad alienates you or negatively affects you, that says more about you than it does about anything or anyone else.

Just saying.

It's just an ad.

Actually, it says a lot more about the company than it says about the people viewing the ad.

As a manufacturer of something that you want to sell, do you appeal to the 90% of people that identify as heterosexual, or do you pander to the 3% that do not identify as that to virtue signal to the 26% of America that virtue signalling appeals to?

Marketing has started to slide to the left because they think that the 26% of America is a big enough customer base to stay afloat... so the hell with the rest of America.

They are thinking it is the future.

It simply isn't.

But keep thinking that it is, because this is what ultimately will dissolve the PC culture.

So a win/win for America.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Rookseven

Can't grow hair there. Not even with testosterone shots. Estrogen negates it. Unless something new came out.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Gillette seems to be doing their best to put themselves out of business. First femininized males shaving, then morbidly obese women in bikinis. Now this. What next?

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Gillette released an ad showing a transgender (female to male) shaving for the first time with his father. All of us guys know this is one of those special moments growing up. Dad shows you how to shave. Dad shows you how to tie a tie. Etc.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Gillette is seeking to alienate their male customers. Earlier this year, they released an ad trying to show support for the MeToo movement by putting down "toxic masculinity."

Trans folks are a very small percentage of the population. I'd love to see the marketing research study showing that targeting this very small subset of people is worth alienating your core customer base. The only thing I can think of is that Gillette has decided they want to focus on women and this kind of social justice advertising would help with female customers.

Whatever happened to just making a good product? Why do you need to make a political or social statement? I've never bought any brand because I thought the brand was "woke".

Anyways, figured it would be a good discussion topic.

They aren't alienating anyone LOL. they are simply targeting another market. No idea why some people are all up in arms. A business sees an opportunity to make money in a market they will take that opportunity. I don't see any sort of agenda going on or any alienating. It's business doing business which is to make money.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Did the ad air in Saudi Arabia?

Funny that.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: jidnum

They aren't alienating anyone LOL. they are simply targeting another market. No idea why some people are all up in arms. A business sees an opportunity to make money in a market they will take that opportunity. I don't see any sort of agenda going on or any alienating. It's business doing business which is to make money.

Precisely.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: jidnum

So they target people who are a fraction of the market they were in?

How is that business sense? First they air an ad chiding their regular customers for being horrible. Then they start airing ads about being "woke." Most of the woke set are sporting beards and refuse to shave in order to signal their resistance to the patriarchy.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join