It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An appeal to remembering humanity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
In light of the current political climate, it seems it's a bit easier to forget that the other side is human, has hopes and dreams, and isn't your mortal enemy. The other side just thinks differently. They think we are just as nuts as we think they are.

Watching the comments on Rep Jerry Nadler's health scare really brought this home for me. I don't like him, I don't agree with him. But he is someone's father, someone's grandfather, someone's friend, someone's husband. He is a real person, and certainly doesn't deserve to have death wished upon him for being on the other side.

Please try to remember the human component when discussing things. Especially here where we are all family, and look out for each other. And remember arrogance, and smug is what polarized this whole thing, so try really hard to keep that part in mind and don't revert to acting like that. I know it's hard, I go back and read some posts where I failed to follow my own advice, and wish I didn't make them.

Things are turning around, justice might be making a comeback, and humility will go a whole lot farther than gloating. I only ask that I and everyone try to post without regrets. (meaning you don't do like I do and go back and shake your head as posts YOU made.)

Happy Memorial day ATS, God bless, and do something nice for a stranger, if nothing more than a smile.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

In light of the current political climate, it seems it's a bit easier to forget that the other side is human...

Hah! Speak for yourself. Some of us are reptilians from Zeta Reticuli.

But I like your message, have a good Memorial Day you scaly bastid.

edit on 26-5-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: network dude has no beer because Heels took it

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Even scaly reptilians need love. We They just hiss a bit when irritated.

Be sure to enjoy a nice pour of good bourbon this evening. I think it's mandatory, not sure. But I sure don't want to be in any trouble.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I can always count on some good, decent, moral folks to take the high road and be above the fray.

Sadly, (or not) there are those of us who get our hands dirty. We're the snark, the assholes, the bastids, the ones who don't mind getting our hands dirty.

We say the things out loud that many can't say because they are better people.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

We say the things out loud that many can't say because they are better people.

I'll raise a toast to you and yours today as well... hope the brisket turns out perfect.

We are in a civil war in America right now... a soft civil war so far that is framed in words and ideas online.

Wars need warriors.

So although I understand the intent of the OP, there is a right and a wrong.

People will be on either side of it.

This weekend I raise a toast to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice so that America has a chance...

A chance for later generations to continue the fight.

And here we are.

You gave the same oath I did once upon a time... it doesn't expire.

See you on the battlefield, Brother.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I raise a toast to you, all my brothers and sisters, especially the ones that didn't make it back.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Lumenari

I raise a toast to you, all my brothers and sisters, especially the ones that didn't make it back.

Amen.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Well , the Cold Hard Reality of that is I Look at My Life as being a Precious Gift from a Supreme Creator of All Things , whereas these Odd Hue-Mans seen by their Own Actions to Loathe their Own Personal Existence for some Reason , and out of Spite , Want to make Us All Feel the Same as they Do . There's the RUB .Somethings Gotta Give Sooner or Later if Civilization is to Survive into a Unknown Future ........

edit on 26-5-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   
First of all, a hearty "thank you" to everyone who served. You are all heroes. Enjoy your day; you earned much more than that. Sometimes I think we need a "non-memorial day" because you deserve the other 364.

There was a time, not long ago, when I would have agreed with everything in that OP. I still agree that the "other side" is human and has desires, dreams, and wants just like anyone else. But... and this was hard for me to wrap my head around... it is not possible to respect those anymore.

I would that we lived in a world where human and human could sit down and talk things out, try to find common ground, try to understand each other, and maybe even end up agreeing on tough issues. We used to live in such a world. I distinctly remember it. But trying to sit down with many of these other humans has become an exercise in futility. It's not that we disagree - disagreement is expected - but rather that some, and by some I mean far too many, do not want to agree on anything. My way or the highway.

It started some time back several years ago. I was raised to respect others and it genuinely bothered me if I did something to offend or harm another in some way. When I said the words "I'm sorry" it meant something to me: it meant that I actually regretted my actions. But then I realized that it was no longer being taken that way... instead, what the other person heard was "I am weak and vulnerable; attack me more." So I stopped saying that (mostly; old habits die hard).

Today, just the phrase "can we agree..." is not taken as an intention to find common ground; it is taken as an indication that the speaker is weak and flexible, and as an invitation to press for whatever they are willing to give up without giving anything oneself. So, guess what? I am trying to stop saying that as well.

This will lead to war; always has. Lumenari is correct that we are in a soft war already, but it will harden. Those who try to find peace where peace cannot exist will find their very being destroyed. So, just as on an active battlefield one invites death if one tries to negotiate, so too does one invite destruction if one tries to negotiate now. The war is on; pick a side or be tossed to the side. There is no other choice.

Perhaps some one will surprise me. Perhaps someone will find a neutral ground where negotiation can take place again and avert an all-out shooting war. I hope so, but I have little faith that will happen. At one time, I thought perhaps ATS would remain a neutral ground for calm discussion of ideas, but it seems that has fallen by the wayside; too much anger, too much hate, to much ire. It would surprise me even more if it were to happen before the streets become killing fields over ideology and the sewers turn red. Humans are simply not very good at avoiding such things. History tells us that if it tells us anything.

In one way, I blame the video games... I think people have this idea that if they die on a battlefield they can respawn and continue fighting. Unfortunately, it don't work that way outside of the virtual world.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Great post, network dude. Great!

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

My question is, for what reasons have we suffered these losses from Korea forward. Moral justification must proceed their use. Have our lost been sacrificed for unjust purposes?

That"s sad to think about.
edit on 26-5-2019 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I don't disagree with you and Lumenari, I think if things don't change at a rapid pace, we may well see bloodshed over this. But one thing I have learned through my 50 years on this Earth is that War is ignorant. At the end, the stronger side "wins" by either killing more, or having less dead, and the weaker one must accept the position that was unacceptable in the beginning.

I see why so many laugh this idea off, as the one's on one side are heavily armed, trained, and prepared, and the other side is staunchly against arms and preparedness. But I have no desire to end anyone's life over a difference of opinion.

I long for this kind of America again.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

My question is, for what reasons have we suffered these losses from Korea forward. Moral justification must proceed their use. Have our lost been sacrificed for unjust purposes?

That"s sad to think about.

In my opinion. . .

We've lost because we no longer fight to win. There's more profit to be made if war is perpetuated.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   
We have lost tens of millions of lives the last 100 years not through warfare, but by an ideology.

An ideology that is becoming popular in America.

Should we lose hundreds of millions more attempting it here?

Or save a whole lot of lives and go with the hard option... while we can?

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   

That's the payoff DB. Companies are always ready to jump to fill the voids of destruction we have created. Won't be long before we bounce the rubble we created only a few years ago.

But the human element should never be disregarded. The people you have issues with will earn their last reward, I guarantee it.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   

But one thing I have learned through my 50 years on this Earth is that War is ignorant.

That, sir, is a given! I know of nothing so useless as war.

But I have no desire to end anyone's life over a difference of opinion.

Neither do I. I believe it was Douglas McArthur who said, "The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war." I am not a soldier myself, but I come from a long line of soldiers and know the horrors of war.

But desire and necessity are not always the same thing. I'll not stand idly by while those who would do harm to me or mine attack. Afterwards, I will mourn the fact that such had to happen. But that will not change the fact that what happened, happened. That goes for both a war of words and ideology as well as a physical war.

I love that song, BTW.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 04:51 PM
link   

But he is someone's father, someone's grandfather, someone's friend, someone's husband. He is a real person, and certainly doesn't deserve to have death wished upon him for being on the other side.

One can be all these things and still be evil. I said in that thread that I don't wish ill on anyone, but your thread got me to thinking. Sometimes the people in DC remind me of mob bosses.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   

true but the old bugger should retire

new topics

top topics

join