It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we kill the Electoral College

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Since the topic is the EC, the term limits in question are the ones already placed on the president.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: Justoneman

"Fly over states" is just another buzzword. 17 of those 34 states gave their EC votes to the winner of the popular vote in 2016.

The EC votes are indirectly proportional to population, so LA county can outvote them anyway.

The real travesty is that all the opposing votes cast in California are nullified by a simple majority. That is why I mentioned the "tyranny of the majority" in my original post. Pro-EC often bring that up but fail to see that the EC just shifts it from the national to state level.

No system is perfect. The thing is you can move to a different state if your voice isn't being heard. ask all the people leaving CT, ILn CA etc to live in red states. Of course the problem is the bring their voting habits with them....

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I don't have a problem with the system and people moving from one state to another is neither here nor there.

I have a problem with the logic in the argument in the OP that the EC somehow keeps people in the rural area from becoming serfs.
edit on 28-5-2019 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I don't have a problem with the system and people moving from one state to another is neither here nor there.

I have a problem with the logic in the argument in the OP that the EC somehow keeps people in the rural area from becoming serfs.

Yes, in many states, the metropolitan areas run over the rural areas. However, it would be worse if we didn't have the EC.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

The EC is the very thing that allows the metropolitan areas to "run over" the rural areas, except in states that split the EC votes.

ETA: "Run over" is a bit of an exaggeration though. Grouping the votes for president and casting them unanimously is nowhere near serfdom.

edit on 28-5-2019 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: daskakik

Term limits OK in theory, but all "they" will do is start buying off candidates at lower rungs before elections 😎

That would be worth it, to cut off the others because new people are in power. Then at least the wealth would be spread and past winning candidates would be pushed aside. Lets end the dynasty's in Congress because that plan has proved to be just Serfdom as before King George was shown the door. The R's pretend just enough to help the D's kick the can down the road until they have enough power a wild card like DJT wouldn't be able to win.

edit on 28-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I recall Ron Paul was cheated by the R's at the very start of the primaries when he ran. Mclame got the vote they declared and later it was discovered that Ron was the winner but that was after other states had voted. We all know the DNC cheated their own voters with HRC and that cost them the Bernie supporters.

Right now we are all guessing who is getting what money and they need to be audited for the last 10 years. They are making a life's career going to Congress as citizens and never leaving. They seem to like having the power until they die or get scandalized out of the job for some new wind direction.

edit on 28-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I got ya. Your poat was worded oddly, but I get what you were saying after your reply.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman Regarding the claim the cities will run everything (aka Dems), I wonder. Most states are not swing states, and those in the 'out' party are less inclined to vote, so this could encourage more turnout. On the con side, as close as we are split, a half a percent cheat here and there would be much harder to track than in one or three razor-sharp states. If we would check anyway. Overall we need fully free and fair and auditable elections before bothering with any changes.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ownbestenemy

Yes, it was worded oddly and I totally understand why people would read it like they did and even why they knee-jerked.

The cool thing is that after that, an actual discussion on what the EC really is, seems to have taken place.

edit on 29-5-2019 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 05:59 AM
link   

A worthy discussion transpired. Many got a chance to explore the situation and now we can agree. Keep the EC is our opinion from those on ATS?
edit on 29-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Keep it or lose it, it really doesn't make a difference in this day and age.

It certainly isn't the protector of freedom the article in the OP wanted to make it out to be. The same people who want to claim the EC is so important also claim that rights have been chipped away. What was the EC doing when that happened? Nothing, it is just a way to count votes for one temporary position in the government.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   

So you may think, doesn't mean you know. Time will straighten it all out for you.

posted on May, 29 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I used to believe what you proposed and time straightening it out for me has led me here.

What else is the EC if not just a way to group votes for the presidency of the US?

ETA: How is the example of Nevada posted earlier a good thing for rural areas?
edit on 29-5-2019 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I used to believe what you proposed and time straightening it out for me has led me here.

What else is the EC if not just a way to group votes for the presidency of the US?

ETA: How is the example of Nevada posted earlier a good thing for rural areas?

You do need more time I see to understand an important fact. In reality we don't have a Democracy we have a Republic for reasons to do with your free will.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

No, that is also just hype. A "republic" just means the people have representatives. The real heroes are the Constitution and the Bill of rights and not the EC. You can have those in a democracy as well.

You need to think about the reason they have you thinking you need someone to represent you instead of you representing yourself. They have you thinking they have to protect you from your fellow citizen. You believe that? OK but don't talk to me about free will when you hand your voice over to your politicians.

Also, I'm not american and my free will is doing just fine. Maybe even better than most americans.

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Then naturally as you are Not an American, you don't understand for that reason alone, your case is closed. I am sure you feel safe where you are and I hope you are.

You have to live here just to get a feel for it and then MAYBE after about 10 years, you MIGHT understand. I would hope so by then. Carry on, as you were.
edit on 30-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I grew up in the states. Lived close to 30 years there.

That being said, the EC is just a vote tallying system and "republic" means representative government regardless of where I have been.

edit on 30-5-2019 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

<< 4  5  6   >>

join