It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we kill the Electoral College

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

You just won't ever get it taking the road your on now. We have given you all you need to understand and you still want to carry on like you are on the right track. Keep on believing what you want, it won't change facts.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Did the EC giving HRC Arizona's votes represent the rural area of arizona?

The fact is that the urban areas of the states choose but the rural citizens are still not serfs.

The article in the OP glosses over this because they want to present the argument like the US was still made up of industrialized states and rural states. Hasn't been that way for a while and even when it was the popular coincided with the EC, so what was the difference? You just can't answer that.

edit on 27-5-2019 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
What would the United States look like if New York, New York, San Fransisco, CA, and Chicago, IL dictated all of the United States politics....

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   

You are correct that urban populous cities have evolved within the rural states in modern times. Majority of the states electors vote in December after the election based on the popular winner. I believe Maine and Nebraska are the only 2 states who only give 2 elector votes based on popularity and the remaining vote is based on districts.

In your example of Nevada, you can see that HRC had just barely one the popular vote in only 2 counties. The rural counties overwhelmingly voted for Trump. So the state electors tallied all the votes and it still went to HRC.

I must admit those election maps always seem to show urban centers vote more democratic again and again. What's worse is this interstate pact saying all votes will go towards a national popularity vote. Sigh.

In reality, they should be more like Nebraska...2 votes for most popular and remaining electors vote are determined by districts. Then Nevada and other states would provide rural and urban voters a real voice.
edit on 5 27 2019 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

Edit add: naturally Big states like democratic controlled California with 55 electors would not like that rule. They would not have as big a voice since northern counties would begin to have a say too.
edit on 5 27 2019 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Too much hype.

The EC has only affected 5 out of 58 elections. That is only around 8.6%. So most of the time, over 90%, the "tyranny of the majority", another over-hyped idea, is the choice which stands.

The EC has affected 100% of every election for pesident since the ratification of the Constitution.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ownbestenemy

You should have read the rest of the thread before replying.

Yes, I meant that only 5 out of 58 elections would have had different results if it did not exist. I would have thought that since the topic is the EC existing or being "killed" people would understand that but here we are.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 12:51 AM
link   

He may have been suggesting that campaigning (and propaganda techniques)+(and bananaMSM techniques) would be different with a popular vote winner take all 😎

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Somebody already mentioned that but wouldn't all the candidates adjust their campaigns to fit the system in place?

The fact remains that the EC results and popular vote only varied in 5 elections so in every other election, all things being the same, the results would have remained unchanged.

Also, would any changes have been for better or for worse? All we can do is speculate.

I personally think term limits, checks and balances and the constitution have had a much greater effect than the EC ever could. That is the reason why I called all the quibbling over the EC hype.

edit on 28-5-2019 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: xuenchen

Somebody already mentioned that but wouldn't all the candidates adjust their campaigns to fit the system in place?

The fact remains that the EC results and popular vote only varied in 5 elections so in every other election, all things being the same, the results would have remained unchanged.

Also, would any changes have been for better or for worse? All we can do is speculate.

I personally think term limits, checks and balances and the constitution have had a much greater effect than the EC ever could. That is the reason why I called all the quibbling over the EC hype.

Yea, they would alter it to totally ignore the fly over states because LA county has more population than 34 other states.

www.reddit.com...

This would be a travesty to the 34 states that LA county could outvote them.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 05:26 AM
link   

We agree on term limits. Like changes to EC which by your account are unnecessary as you say it has no effect, but would require headache of amending constitution , a dangerous endeavor in this fractured climate that I'd oppose due potential abuse by partisan interests.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 05:59 AM
link   

I have to agree that it seems like a distraction. Honestly, I was caught up in not realizing that our Electoral voting process already is more of a popular vote within each state individually.

I disagree with those states that have signed an interstate pact to vote who is the national popular overall. Citizens in those states are being told their considered vote is meaningless and should be upset.

In researching, elector votes, it seems the constitution allows for states to have 2 electors based on the 2 senators, then they are provided an elector for each district representative based on state's census population data.

Our forefathers had seemed to have establish a well balanced voting, since the Senator electors would vote for the state over all popular and each of the representative electors would actually vote who won the popular vote in their district area. That is originally why districts lines were the focus of disagreements for the parties.

Why is no one else realizing that our election process has already been manipulated and veered from the true intention of the constitution and the original agreement that States had signed into when joining the United States?

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

They want to cut off the left wing, ground the bird in the past where nothing new ever happens and no progress is ever made. Bring back coal mines and gas guzzler cars. Keep women pregnant and in the kitchen. And restore the white male to his previous position as the head of the house.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   

They did.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

They want to cut off the left wing, ground the bird in the past where nothing new ever happens and no progress is ever made. Bring back coal mines and gas guzzler cars. Keep women pregnant and in the kitchen. And restore the white male to his previous position as the head of the house.

Getting warmer I see.

The left wing wants to cut us off, if you will consider that.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

They want to cut off the left wing, ground the bird in the past where nothing new ever happens and no progress is ever made.

There is sound reasoning and logic in taking baby steps, so if one missteps, they can easily catch themselves without suffering a great injury and thus, take longer to recover.

Bring back coal mines and gas guzzler cars.

See my response above. Everyone wants to find a solution to pollution.

Keep women pregnant and in the kitchen.

Haha. Personally, I believe they want to make it feasible for a family to be able to have the choice to have one parent work and the other to be able to stay home and properly raise the next generation without suffering great financial distress. Most decisions are made due to financial hardships.

And restore the white male to his previous position as the head of the house.

That is utter BS. The Dems and you are living in the past. I see more real equality coming from the right of the partisan line than I see from the left.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

That made no sense but proves the problem is with people wanting to be in charge and make hate and racism the new normal. We conservatives will not allow you to do that.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   

"Fly over states" is just another buzzword. 17 of those 34 states gave their EC votes to the winner of the popular vote in 2016.

The EC votes are indirectly proportional to population, so LA county can outvote them anyway.

The real travesty is that all the opposing votes cast in California are nullified by a simple majority. That is why I mentioned the "tyranny of the majority" in my original post. Pro-EC often bring that up but fail to see that the EC just shifts it from the national to state level.

edit on 28-5-2019 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
In researching, elector votes, it seems the constitution allows for states to have 2 electors based on the 2 senators, then they are provided an elector for each district representative based on state's census population data.

There you go. Now combine that with the fact that every state has urban and rural areas and the EC becomes just a hyped topic to get people bickering.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Term limits OK in theory, but all "they" will do is start buying off candidates at lower rungs before elections 😎

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Lots of new things have already happened under Trump.

Lower taxes

Lower unemployment (many cases are record lows)

Better business environments

Better international trade control

Etc.

Things the zer∅bama failed at 😆

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join