It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loose vs lose

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Actually OP, in the 18th Century, the word "loos" is what we use as "lose" and "loose" remained the same. Especially when many 18th Century texts use what to us looks like and "f" as the letter "s".

So, I guess grammar and spelling all depends upon the time frame in which you view it, huh?

Now, as for "could care less", now THAT is annoying since it means that yes, you could care less. Which implies you care a little...right? What most people REALLY mean to say is "couldn't care less", which implies you could NOT care less. Those darn contractions.

We are all guilty of our own "contrafibularities" in this world.

edit on 5/25/2019 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: ketsuko

I just want to apologize for making your eyes bleed whenever you read one of my posts.

By the time I get done with some of the crap I've dealt with at work, my own stuff isn't that clean. The bad habits creep in. I often don't bother to pay much attention to my own mistakes and typos.

You'd be surprised though ...

After over 10 years at it, I never really switch off anymore. I find errors in the books I read, and then every time I read the same book after that, I find the same mistake like it's got a giant red flag attacked.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
a reply to: Svalbard
Spelling or grammar is one of the last thing I would ever judge a person on. Who cares they're not that good at spelling or grammar. I'm not that great at it myself. Spell Check and Grammarly are my friend.

Ditto

I only use it against people who use it against others. The OP should be careful. Someone might go back and find all of his mistakes in previous posts... not to mention this one. lol

Yeah, that's the only time I will get technical. When someone smugly grammar Nazis because they think it makes them look smart.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: EvilAxis

Who vs. whom is another one of my daily funtime things.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Meanwhile the lose backed up and I can't find the plunger!

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   
My big peeve is the usage of "an" and "and". They are not the same, and are not interchangeable. a reply to: Svalbard

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I am a Dyslexic and all i see is either way of spelling it you are XuXxXd ,And getting nothing out of it

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
That their here, and their getting lose with all they're lose stuff.

Its been so long since they're grammar skills have gone to far; its a shame.

I for one am to pissed off too even talk about this subject. Thats what Im talking about, and thats what Im going too tell you.

That that is a thing is to weird for me, that Im going too get really mad and tell them too take they're ball and go home to.

That that is all I have too say is to weird, and Im going too call bullsnip on the whole thing. Their full of it!
edit on 5/25/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I’m seriously going to go insane

Do not lose your marbles over loose internet postings.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

I am a Dyslexic and all i see is either way of spelling it you are XuXxXd ,And getting nothing out of it

And my son is dysgraphic, and you both likely have similar issues with spelling.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Perhaps this lesson should wait until they've mastered the difference between "To" and "Too".
(Hee-hee)

It's even funnier when people on here say 'X' politician has gone rouge - I always wonder how brave it was for them and what shade they chose.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
Perhaps not a bad idea to reform it in some cases these days.

For example, in some ancient texts we may read of a "loose woman".
Dose she require recapturing by the patriarchy?
No she was a "lose" woman who lost her chains.

Do guys really "lose" their virginity?
Did they forget it somewhere?
In this case I say they "loose" their virginity, as in the first unbridled salvo of the Armada to follow.

Errm, no.

For example, in some ancient texts we may read of a "loose woman".
Dose she require recapturing by the patriarchy?
No she was a "lose" woman who lost her chains.

Meant her morals were loose, oh dear, you may want to check where you are getting that from.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Their, there, they're

apart, a part

to, too

it's, its

anytime, any time

everyday, every day

kickoff, kick off ... NEVER kick-off!

apostrophe use ... well, all punctuation

capitalization

plural formation

Guess my job? I'm an editor. I do a lot of proofreading, among other things. I spend too much time worrying about it at work to get fussed much over it here.

And with its lack of multiple tenses, English is one of the easiest languages to learn, hence it being so common.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

And because it's easy for people to learn to speak it, it ends up adopting a bunch of words from other languages. That makes the spelling a nightmare because for every rule there are bunch of exceptions mainly associated with words adopted in from one language or another.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

my virginity was loosed once - but i tightened it up again with a spanner

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted
It's not just the politicians;
Has there ever been a rouge Mod? (original title)

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 03:17 AM
link   
English is not my home language, but I’m probably more of a spelling and grammar nazi than the OP.
A lesson in ‘their’ and ‘there’ may also be useful, but it seems even the American members switch those around...

I don’t see it being an excuse that it’s not your first language. Chances are your spellcheck is in english, if only it could check grammar as well...

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I get annoyed by that, too. It also bothers me when people don't know the difference between they're, there, and their or your and you're.

A lot of people who speak English as their first language do this and then turn around and complain about non-English speakers.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   
There's a lot about the English language that needs to be celebrated - its flexibility and adaptability. I tolerate simplified (American) English, for example, but am less tolerant of basic grammatical errors, some of which have been described above.

My pet hates are not knowing when and how to use apostrophes, and the inability to use capital letters and paragraphs.

Note that I was only pulling your legs about simplified English my American friends...
edit on 26/5/2019 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The "Loose - Goose" - so how did we end up in a strip-club?

First it was my birthday, and I never heard from my bro.

Three days later is his birthday, sorry I forgot, let's go for drinks.

Then in the car I hear, him and his wife are having a divorce.

OK, lap-dances all around.

The house is gonna be a lot more of a man-cave.

edit on 26-5-2019 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join