It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watermelon Is A Racist Term In America.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100

originally posted by: DBCowboy
The museum staff said "NO WATER BOTTLES!"

sheesh

/thread
well there is no way to prove either way so you can't claim that......and do you really think the staff would just admit that they said that?? they also said they were followed watched by the staff but they ignored the white groups..so I am leaning towrds it being true

My watermelon is bigger than yours too...

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Sounds like they were being racist. Why specify no watermelon after already stating no food or drink? You've already covered it.

Who orders their coffee as "white"? Never heard that once. I've been drinking coffee across the country and only ever been asked do I want cream or sugar with it?

It sounds like you are trying to make an issue that doesn't exist...

a reply to: alldaylong

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
What if the roles were reversed and an African American lady told a group of white students no food no drink no crackers? There would be 10 threads on it here on ats.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

I don't know. Crackers are a pretty common snack item in elementary schools. I didn't actually know that cracker was supposed to be a racist term against whites until much, much later in my life than that age.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

How’s that? They are in quotes and I’m not calling anyone those names...From a white guy thank you very much.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Rob808

Who orders their coffee as "white"? Never heard that once.

You have missed a trick then.

Coffee is one of those drinks that brings people together. There’s just one topic that divides coffee fans into two irreconcilable camps: should coffee be served black or white

www.cafe-royal.com...

www.timjacksonphotography.co.uk...

It sounds like you are trying to make an issue that doesn't exist...

Really?

Well where i come from, i am asked that question every time i order Coffee.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

Say what now?

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

I've always been an uncontrollable wild man
/s

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Just for the record, I have never seen a black person eat watermelon. And who doesn’t like fried chicken? And honestly, I can’t picture a curator saying that. Who knows anymore

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Everyone loves watermelon and chicken.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Telling black kids no food, no drink, no watermelon is racist.
Watermelon has been associated with blacks as a derogatory symbol for years.

What if they were eating watermelon at the time?

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth
Was grape soda involved????

I remember by buddy who is a moderator on a sports site.

He showed me the rules and what he can ban people for.

Person of color, there was a long list of words and phrases one cannot use.
Muslims a similar list...

White people there were zero

There are no words that can get someone
Banned for referring to a white person.

95% of his job is scolding and banning people who associate words with muslims or people of color.

The thing is white people would sing a song as kids..

Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words cannot hurt you.

It's comes down to maturity.....

I don't think there ever was or ever will be a word that will.get white people upset...that's cray cray to get upset over a word to that race.

It’s not the word or words but the racial profiling and I’m sure it will get on a white persons nerve if you told them the stereo typing that they most likely have a small unit.
edit on 27-5-2019 by wickd_waze because: ASU

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181

I don't think there ever was or ever will be a word that will.get white people upset...that's cray cray to get upset over a word to that race.

“Trailer park trash” “white trash” “honkey” “yankee” “cracker” “ mayonnaise eating——” “whitey” “wi##er” “peckerwood” etc etc.

Not bannable....

It’s still offensive and will probably result in some sort of actions if a complaint was made.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Ok hold up. Did they HAVE watermelon? Were they carrying watermelon around with them? If not, its pretty obvious to anyone with a functioning brain that they were being purposefully racist toward children.

If they were walking around with watermelon, maybe the people saying that just weren't aware that watermelon IS food.

posted on May, 27 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: wickd_waze

originally posted by: 38181

“Trailer park trash” “white trash” “honkey” “yankee” “cracker” “ mayonnaise eating——” “whitey” “wi##er” “peckerwood” etc etc.

Not bannable....

It’s still offensive and will probably result in some sort of actions if a complaint was made.

Nope

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I find it amazing how stereotypes originate and evolve.

The stereotype of black folk liking watermelon came from the same place as black folk liking fried chicken: a result of poverty. At one time, most black folk in the South were extremely poor; only whites made up the upper class, and really, there wasn't much of a middle class. One was either a businessman, politician, or farmer. Farmers either prospered or were destitute depending on the condition of their farms. Guess which families got the scrub land?

Anyway, watermelon is a sweet, delicious fruit that is fairly common around here. It's pretty easy to grow if you got good dirt: plant a few hills in sandy soil and wait until the things show up. It's somewhat of a delicacy, and was also a social event. We used to have watermelon cuttings a few times a year. All the neighbors would gather and someone would bring a watermelon (usually someone with a truck, since the things were huge!) and we'd all have a fine old time eating slices of ice cold watermelon and seeing who could spit seeds the farthest.

Kids will also be kids. You get any group of young, hungry kids playing and show them a delicacy sitting in the middle of a field of vines, and guess what's going to happen? Yep, that's right... they're gonna steal themselves a watermelon!

So, since the majority of black kids were poor, and the watermelons were a particularly tempting target, guess who got the reputation for raiding watermelon patches? Yep, the black kids. There were probably as many white kids as black who did it, but of course there was also that racial thing that Lincoln caused.

The same thing happened with fried chicken. Chickens are easy to raise... keep the chicks penned up for a while and turn them loose. They'll stay around close and they not only eat the bugs, but they turn them into eggs (and over-fertilize everything in sight in the process). After a couple of years, you can grab a fat chicken, lop off it's head, pluck it and dress it, and fry it up for supper. For many poor people, chicken was about the only meat they normally got.

It never was a black/white issue in either case, but rather a poor/well-to-do issue. As usual, though, it was twisted into a black/white issue by those who seek to divide us by race. And it's perpetuated today by the same type of people. Every time you hear someone claim something like watermelon or fried chicken is racist toward blacks, remind yourself: you are listening to a racist.

Personally, there is little in this world that beats a good old-fashioned watermelon cutting with one big enough to need a wheelbarrow to get it out of the field, followed up by a big supper of fried chicken, mashed taters, gravy, and black-eyed peas. And I'm white.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Chicken wing and pork shoulder were common for black folks back in the day. Now...its all the rage for everyone.

The thing is, food is food. I can't figure how one would ridicule someone for food. Especially good food.

I grew up in the country with the watermelon socials, too. We'd also have one on the last day of 2 a days in football. A real treat when one of the dads showed up with an iced trough with the biggest melon he had growing in it waiting to be cut.

I've stolen more than a few watermelons in my time, too.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Never had to steal any in my time... we always had our own watermelon patch (unless you count me just finding one, splitting it, and eating it right there in the middle of the vines, lol). They weren't like the ones in the stores today, either... these were 100+ pound behemoths: Rattlesnakes, Congos, and Black Diamonds. One watermelon would feed an entire neighborhood, and talk about sweet! I call today's melons "water-berries."

Another great tradition lost to the annals of time is the old hand-cranked homemade ice cream. The kids always had the chore of cranking the thing (kept at least one of us out of trouble for the duration) and the treat after all that work just made it so much better! If I ever find an reasonably-priced, authentic, hand-cranked ice cream maker at a flea market, it's mine! You lose something when you plug it in and turn it on. Unfortunately, while there are still some made, they want an arm and a leg for them.

That's another aspect of our culture that the constant racism cries have harmed... we are losing our past because we are afraid someone will see it as racist. It's not and it never was. It was just the way things were.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Growing up not too far from Pecos, the melons and cantaloupes here are just out of this world.

Walking back from the creek after swimming, seeing those nice Rattlesnake melons was too much temptation. We'd drop one from about 4 feet up, and it'd crack open exposing the juicy, delicious heart. Of course, 100 degree watermelon isn't as good...but its still good.

As far as food goes...some call it soul food. To me, its just southern cooking. The interesting thing about where i grew up.....we could eat chitlins at one neighbors house one day, then tripas at anothers the next. Same intestines...just cooked by different cultures.

posted on May, 28 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Another great tradition lost to the annals of time is the old hand-cranked homemade ice cream.

That brings back memories. Summer time at the ranch always included making some ice cream.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join