It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watermelon Is A Racist Term In America.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No one cares too much for that fact.

Debating watermelons seems to be more popular.

edit on 5/25/19 by GENERAL EYES because: grammar edit

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Edumakated
I'm black... and I love fried chicken (and watermelon).

The issue is that depending on the context, it could be considered racist (or tone deaf) and you have to tread lightly. The problem is that there have been a lot of negative images using watermelon to demean blacks. So obviously, black folks are sensitive to it as you don't know if someone is trying to take a subtle dig at you....

Would an Italian be insulted if someone was saying No Spaghetti?

The problem with the whole thing is that while I get the negative stereotypes associated with both watermelon and fried chicken, they are both considered soul foods if you go looking. Not to mention, the entire world loves both dishes to such an extent that you can find a version of fried chicken in just about every cuisine, and the Japanese love watermelon so much, they've bred a square variety for easy stacking at supermarkets.

So I get the racial sensitivity, but at the same time, at this point the odds are very, very good that the rest of the world is just eating food.

I really don’t know what soul food is. I thought it was a get together with family and friends. My first soul plate food, tacos made from scratch, fried chicken, black eyed peas, greens and corn bread, from neighbors had everything for serving pretty much. From sandwiches to lasagna.

As for the news on watermelons it’s just more “egg shells” thrown our way. I’m a watermelon eating champ too winning flags during Fourth of July’s growing up. It’s just another one of an estimated ten million rules, laws, regulations, no-no’s...

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: wickd_waze

Soul food, as I understand it, is poor food. It was a cuisine developed out of what the poorest could afford. Typically, it's associated with African Americans and the South, but it's comprised of things like collard greens, turnip greens, chitterlins, fried chicken, etc., basically those things that could be had easily and cheaply and then the best cooks found ways to make them delicious. Those are soul food.

These days, well prepared soul food is a cuisine in its own right so the stigma is more or less gone if you're a food person, but the racial associations can remain for certain items like fried chicken and watermelon as unfortunate as that is.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
Umm yeah, why add“watermelon” when she could have just said “No Food or drinks” period, why add watermelon unless that was a Freudian slip. Needless to say, Here down South, Fried Chicken and watermelon in a running joke in reference to black people is purely racist,

Damn sure is in FL. The running joke there is watermelon, fried chicken and grape drink (grape soda or kool-aid) is the meal of choice for blacks. What's really amusing is a lot of the black kids I grew up with didn't like one thing or another off the assumed "black menu", and one was from a vegetarian family. She threw everyone for a loop, evidently it's hard to make fun of the eating habits of blacks when they don't eat meat at all, let alone fried meat. People are ultimately dicks at heart.
edit on 5/25/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

You got it right. Exactly. Directing a comment to a group of black schoolchildren that they can't bring watermelons into the museum is 100% racist. It's cowardly, too, since they're children.

As for your coffee question, no one orders their coffee "white" in the US. It isn't racist to order your coffee "black," however.

The words are racist. How people use those words is racist.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren has an Aunt Jemima eating a watermelon. That must be like double racist.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 01:00 AM
link   
If I was black and some white person told me they wee protecting me from fruit names for my own good, I would stomp them out for their own good.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Black people during those times would call the white person the cracker because of the cracking of the whip. They were slaveowners...do people not remember seeing pictures of black people in zoos...and not just blacks but Native Americans as they call them as well. Like They would call the Irish, Irish N word with er at the end. This is all real life man. America to some extent was built on love and hate, but mostly hate.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 01:37 AM
link   
And yet, leftists claim that voter id laws are ‘racist’ because blacks are somehow less-capable of obtaining and carrying id than other people.

But say ‘watermelon’ and you’re the bad guy.

HONK HONK

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I love some watermelon jolly ranchers... just saying.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Was grape soda involved????

I remember by buddy who is a moderator on a sports site.

He showed me the rules and what he can ban people for.

Person of color, there was a long list of words and phrases one cannot use.
Muslims a similar list...

White people there were zero

There are no words that can get someone
Banned for referring to a white person.

95% of his job is scolding and banning people who associate words with muslims or people of color.

The thing is white people would sing a song as kids..

Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words cannot hurt you.

It's comes down to maturity.....

I don't think there ever was or ever will be a word that will.get white people upset...that's cray cray to get upset over a word to that race.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

You mean the liberal paradise of boston massachussetts is racist? That's interesting since barely over 50% of the city is white. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm just saying this could very well be a publicity stunt done at the cost of the museum they visited. I've been to many museum's throughout the world. None of them took kindly to my white hands touching things they weren't supposed to (I'm a very hands on person, sometimes I forget not to touch things at the museums, lol). We went to one in rome (I forget the name) where a guy chased me from one room to the next just to tell me "Don't Touch!" (He was on the other side of the room where I touched something I wasn't supposed to, and it took him that long to get to me, he wasn't following an harassing me).

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

I got banned from a christian based site I used to frequent for saying that I agreed that the hijab was oppressive and that without laws prohibiting it in public, Islam would never move any closer to the 21st century.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: Bloodworth

I got banned from a christian based site I used to frequent for saying that I agreed that the hijab was oppressive and that without laws prohibiting it in public, Islam would never move any closer to the 21st century.

You animal....lol

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth

I don't think there ever was or ever will be a word that will.get white people upset...that's cray cray to get upset over a word to that race.

“Trailer park trash” “white trash” “honkey” “yankee” “cracker” “ mayonnaise eating——” “whitey” “wi##er” “peckerwood” etc etc.
edit on 26-5-2019 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Those terms are not terms that will get any white person riled though.

We whites know who the trailer trash are, for example. We don't tend to identify as a group so that when someone calls you trailer trash if you aren't that you get offended, or if someone calls trailer trash, trailer trash ... you get offended as if you are being insulted if you aren't trailer trash.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Right, but still, even though not every white person falls into that category, it still singles out certain groups of white people. “Trailer park trash”, where I live doesn’t include minority folks, it’s aimed at white folks, who usually segregate themselves together in mobile home parks settings. Anyways I was trying to make a point that there are derogatory terms for whites as well. Sad and immature yes.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

“Trailer park trash” “white trash” “honkey” “yankee” “cracker” “ mayonnaise eating——” “whitey” “wi##er” “peckerwood” etc etc.

Not bannable....

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

My watermelon is bigger than yours...

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
The museum staff said "NO WATER BOTTLES!"

sheesh

/thread
well there is no way to prove either way so you can't claim that......and do you really think the staff would just admit that they said that?? they also said they were followed watched by the staff but they ignored the white groups..so I am leaning towrds it being true

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join