It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we really need illegal aliens or low waged workers to pick crops?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I hear that issue a lot, we need low wage/low skilled workers willing to do manual labor. Maybe we don't.
Maybe we do need more robots and automation.

In agriculture and some other industries, the availability of low cost labour is a disincentive to invest in new technologies and innovation. Similarly, new technologies can reduce the use of pesticides and herbicides which are so environmentally damaging, but it’s cheaper to sterilise fields than bother. There are already small robots than can pick weeds, or machines to chos and pick strawberries.

I speak as someone who is close to farming.

Yup. As wages rise, it makes the ROI of investing in technology that much more attractive. You see this in fast food restaurants where $15/hr is pushed. Car washes. Any business that uses low skilled cheap labor.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   

www.facebook.com...

I hear that issue a lot, we need low wage/low skilled workers willing to do manual labor. Maybe we don't.

We most certainly don't.

Think about it. If we pride ourselves on using low skilled cheap labor workers.. Honestly, what kind of people are we? This means we actually look forward for low skill cheap labor work.... slaves.... to do our bidding.

When people say that we need this, I don't know if it's an insult to us or an insult to the people they're referring to. I say it's a damn shame and an insult to both me and those people being used to do the crap work everyone seems too good to do.

So yeah, I'm on board. Robots indeed. Maybe then we'll consider instead of using 'dumb, worthless labor', we'll educate them so they can get better paying jobs to support their family.

This is not about mexicans... it's about anyone who bust their butts for a living while that being the only job they can get. Job wages should be based on how hard the work is, not just mentally but physically and the things you have to endure. Unfortunately that's not a real thing so let's just go robo.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Do we really need illegal aliens or low waged workers to....?

Yes.

Who else is going to mow your lawn,do landscape work, and clean toilets in motels.

It's for the children.

Don't hate!

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Ah yes...
The Democrats racism of low expectations towards these people. So they are only good for 3 things. Breeding, voting, and picking produce. Not necessarily in that order...

Is it so bad to want them to legally assimilate and be part of the same system we all are? Rather than hiding in the shadows working for people who would employ others illegally.

I'll be the first to say Americans as a whole have become fat and lazy. But the solution isn't to flood the nation with people who have a drastically different culture and standard of living just to pick our food...

It's almost like there is s force out there hell bent on destroying our culture.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Pretty simple make them legal. Give a visa...

It wasn't until the lat 40's ot became an issue. My grandfather went across the Canadian border ever season for work.

If people want to work let them work legally. Let them go back home or stay lo gr if they can support themselves, stay out of trouble and are good workers.

If we stop income tax and move to a consumption tax we could deal with some of the fairness issues. No welfare, but if you can make it work you can stay and work.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
There will be no utopia where everyone gets to live happy and not work. Instead, we'll have walled enclaves of the rich, surrounded by massive slums where people starve in the streets. Anyone who expects otherwise is fooling themselves.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   

No we don’t need immigrants to pick crops

We need to cut out the middle men and agencies who make a nice profit doing somebody else’s job

Years ago these jobs would be advertised or sourced to the job Centers

Now they’re only advertised and delt with via agencies who only advertise these jobs overseas in foreign countries like the 3rd world or low wage countries so the profit margins are better

If you cut out the middle men, the wages would be 20% - 40% better perfect for students or school leavers

It’s all fantasy that immigrants are needed to farm, it’s just greedy people

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Until the robots are invented the only option that doesn't destroy the economy is low wage migrant workers.

Immigrant work for US agriculture is essential, BUT for other manual labor immigrants are stealing US jobs and it is the job of the US government to crack down on it. For the US agriculture industry we need better programs to assist migrant work for the other I say deport them.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Until the robots are invented the only option that doesn't destroy the economy is low wage migrant workers.

Between the EPA, and as much as we import.

I don't think that's ever been true.

Maybe 30 or more years ago.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Knapperdude

The U.K is the same, without immigrants and migrant workers, not much would get harvested or built, and our hotels and entertainments industries would be rather short staffed, nevermind the fact that our NHS would be missing more than half the doctors and nurses required.

Immigrants and migrant workers are quite simply a necessity in any first-world nation, unfortunately for all the wrong reasons.

NOBODY is against immigrants or migrant workers or immigration. Trump supports immigration. Republicans supports immigration.

It’s ILLEGAL immigrants who we can ALL do without

‘Immigrant’ and ‘ILLEGAL immigrant’ are two completely unrelated things.

Unless of course you live in clown world where people are too thick to differentiate between the two

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Spot on Ed. And while we are expanding the base we should not forget the advertising industry that takes even the smallest of ''wants'' in people and through their knowledge of psychology turn those wants into ''needs''. Without that industry there would only be people instead of ''consumers'' It's we the people who have been commofied

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Funny thing is, these so called low wage workers don't pay taxes or SS, or medicare. At the end of the day they make more than I do. Despite what the MSM tells us even illegals won't do this stuff for 5 dollars an hour in the sun.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: pipefitter

This is partly true. They do pay a lot of sales tax.

I think income tax is dumb.

Why not move to a consumption tax to help some of the offset.

As a pipefitter you probably also know there just isn't enough Americans getting trained or I tested in the trades. So it makes this far worse.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

What was it Trump said lately?

That "he is a very stable genius." LoL

I think we all ken just fine who lives in "clown world".

I live on planet Earth, just like yourself really.

edit on 24-5-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier
You have that right. The old guard like me are dying off and the new young pups know everything even before they start working.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: pipefitter

I get so pissed when people say there are Americans who could do that work....uh no they have to be willing to learn it. It's a trade not raking leaves. The unfortunate truth is some desperate (some) central Americans are much harder workers at basic things the young people.

I don't advocate for this system of labor but it happens because we still wont promote trade schools and tell the youth there 300k jobs open a month in trades. They pay really well if you aren't a drunk and work hard.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
. . . I don’t care if it’s digging post holes, riding fence, splitting wood, or building something. Doesn’t anyone get a sense of satisfaction from a job well done anymore?

I agree and have examples of how most people do the bare minimum to keep the paychecks coming. It's just another crappy ass, under paid job to them. They probably think it's not worth the effort to do more than show up and go through the motions.

The only people I know who are concerned with how well a job gets done are managers or supervisors. Of course they will expect you to perform every detail perfectly at a pace that makes your productivity level equal to four average workers doing the same shift.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Machines will be doing it all soon enough.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Don't blame government for immigrants looking for a better life here, blame businesses that hire them under the radar.

I can blame both. One for directly exploiting the legal status of oppressed people for profit, and the other for looking the other way.

And there's even room for blame for every one else who says they want higher wages and a "living wage", but also justify exploiting vulnerable brown people to save ten cents on a head of lettuce when it depresses wages for everyone.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 04:08 AM
link   

www.facebook.com...

Maybe we do need more robots and automation.

If these machines are precise enough to pick weeds and run off of solar energy, what the heck are we waiting for?
Give Americans jobs making these machines and fixing/them.

I am personally all for automation. I want to be living like a Jetson, it is taking too long.

Maybe if you're a large agro-tech company. But the small farmers around where I live couldn't afford to buy a robot to do that kind of thing. Many of them have to rent basic equipment like combination harvesters.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join