It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would YOU fix the United States political system?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Every time a politician votes for war, they are required to take up arms and lead the charge on the battlefield.

And every politician must take a vow of poverty before being allowed to take public office.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   
completely gut it back to the constitution

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The politicians need to be answerable to their constituents that voted them into office and no one else.

No political parties. Doesn't anyone wonder what being an "independent" really means? All of the others must be "dependent on something, no? And what would that be? They ALL should be independent, shouldn't they?

Then you wouldn't need term limits. The people voted into office are working to earn my vote again. That should be their only goal. If they aren't representing what I want out of government, then they shouldn't expect to get my vote again.

Make government dependent only on the will of the people it is supposed to govern.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
There is no solution. Systems become more complicated with time. They either continue to expand in complexity or collapse. With the media removing Free Thought, the core principle of this country's founding has been removed. The electorate is firmly distracted. We are stuck in a cycle that will become even more chaotic. Rome experienced the same thing.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualarchitect

I have always thought, and is my stance, that a good way to maybe fix our very broken political offices, is do away with the voting system and go with a jury type system, and not just pluck the people from a hat, maybe from a pool of the educated.

Does not matter what type of education, trade school, ivy, community college, or have held a job for more than 5 years or so, and maybe some sort of age limit < I was pretty stupid from about 18 to 26>

Term limits of 1 year, if you do a good job, and Americans are mostly happy, extended to up to 4 years, and this way maybe the big lobbyists can't get a foothold into our politicians.

I honestly do not know how well it would work and logistics of it, I am just a truck driver that has weird ideas some days.

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
They should take all the politicians outside and make them kneel and use one of the many small arms in the country and put that person out of their misery

And make their families work the fields for ever more , but only if i was feeling mercy full that morning , if not the pigs would scream with delight ,just like they did on their parents bodies
-woo where the fxxx are you - Al -swaragen Deadwood

In Abe;s version even the Goats get it
well that,s my Genocidal quick and cheap fix and it saves on the blood shed
Think of all the saved time on listening/talking about politics or party matters

posted on May, 25 2019 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Just get rid of the government as far as politicians are concerned and let the American people govern themselves by voting from their phones using the blockchain. Every police officer will be voted in by that jurisdictions citizens.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 06:25 AM
link   
If you fixed it for one group you'd just piss off another group.
When you get someone like Trump in office you definitely want him to stay 2 terms maybe change it to 3 or 4 terms.
Trump has to be helping the mess somehow. LOL!

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Well, the first step would be to disband the democrat party (maybe the republican party too).

Then I'd institute a rule prohibiting government dollars from researching racial/ethnic/religious disparities (so much of our division is along these lines and artificial).

Then I'd get rid of all domestic campaign finance law (as it is only used as a political weapon, not actually to regulate campaign finance fairly).

Then I'd go for term limits. 8 years for president/congressman, 6 years (though I could listen to the arguments for 12) for senators.

Institute a constitutional amendment that required the judiciary to ONLY interpret the law as written. No intents. If congress intends to cover someone or something with a law, they can be sure they write that person or thing into the law. If you don't like a supreme court ruling, you go to congress and get your pet project covered, if you can.

Then I'd break up the media into 1000 little pieces and scatter them into the wind. It's time to rebuild that rotten corpse.

Disband secret courts.

Disband the FBI.

Disband the CIA.

Disband DHS.

Remove any ambiguity around representation and illegal immigrants.

Secure the border.

Kick every last illegal immigrant out of the country.

Classify social media as a utility.

Require all lobbying to be recorded and available to the public via the representatives website.

That'd be a good start.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I like the idea of random selections, devolve all bodies, create two new ones.
There is no longer political parties of left or right.

First the judiciary, one judge is chosen at random from each state, their job is to amend the laws that the political body passes to make them work legally and rule by majority on legal and moral matters such as the death penalty and abortion for the entire country as each state no longer gets to choose the most divisive issues. They serve for a 15 year term. They have a chairman judge, voted in by their peers who decide what order the cases and laws they will deal with, but the laws passed by the new senate get priority. They rotate every 5 years.

Second at random one citizen representative from each state that has just graduated from university with at least a grade point average of 3 or higher is chosen for a senate council. From their ranks they meet and vote on a chairman who would act for that body, this person has more power than the rest as he can limit discussion on topics and call for votes, but they still only get one vote themselves. They serve for a 10 year term, so their experience is not wasted. The chairman rotates by vote every 2 years, so this person doesn't get too powerful. There is no President.

Plebiscites can be held to decide issues as well but they need to pass by not just 50 plus 1 but 75%, this makes it so that half the country is not left unhappy. It could be on something like pay a 15% flat tax rate and everybody gets free health care.

Lastly the media is banned from all political commentary, they are only allowed to report the news, no opinions on that news are allowed. So if a law passes they report that it has passed and by what margin, no comments on what they think of the law or the people that passed it.
edit on 26-5-2019 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-5-2019 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Good answers but haven't read a single iota about the group that is really in power "Deep State"

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Abolish all political parties! No campaign advertising just town halls and debates where We The People ask the questions instead of moderators who can give the questions to the candidates early. Election day Holiday no one works so everyone can vote. To run for any office you must pass a constitution test with a score of 90% or better. No one gets paid. No lobbyists. Every position is an elected one (no one gets to appoint anyone to anything other than We The People.) No lifetime positions. Only Citizens can vote.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   

" HOW WOULD YOU FIX THE UNITED STATES POLITICAL SYSTEM?"

Criminalize Political Speech not based on Facts or Truths . Let those who Practice it be Libel in Court . Those Found Guilty should be Banned from Politics for Life . Term Limits for ALL Office Holders , and Recall Elections due to a Majority Petition .

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Fecking around with what amounts to Free Speech won't help matters, that is a given Zanti Misfit.

What your proposing sounds a lot like the beginnings of the "Thought Police".

You simply cannot penalize nor criminalize persons for expressing the opinions, political or otherwise, else your perceived notion of democracy, illusory or otherwise, goes right out the window.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Simple, de-privatize the government from a PR firm for the ruling class to an actual government for the people.

1. Two terms MAXIMUM for any office in government, that includes Supreme court justices.
2. Complete financial transparency of EVERY elected official.
3. Maximum financial contribution of 10K per term in office.
4. You cannot hold public office if you have ever been a lobbyist, and you cannot ever be a lobbyist if you held public office.
5. Complete restoration of the 4th ammendment.

6. An ammendment to the constitution that makes any act initiated by an elected official resulting in any jobs being sent out of the united states an act of TREASON punishable by death. In addition, make it the law of the land that no foreign company can operate facilities in the united states and then outsource work out of the country. This happens more than you would think.

7. Manditory classes in US history and civics in all school systems.

8. No lifetime health insurance for senators or congress people. After your term ends you have to get it like anyone else.

Thats all I can think of for the moment, maybe more later.

edit on 26-5-2019 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

No , it sounds More like " The Rule of Law " with No Exceptions Agreed Upon by the People by Democratic Vote . It's takes form in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights .

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Nothing Wrong with Public Debate in a Free Society , but the Rules Must Apply to Everyone , and the Basic Tenets of their form of Govenment must Never be Amended Out of Existence by a Few with Radical Ideas .....

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   

The rule is people are free to express their opinions and views.

Freedom of speech is there to protect everyone, even the idiots and morons im afraid.

It does not work otherwise.

As to the rule of law well most laws, or at least rather a few, are there to enable the rich and powerful thus keep the status quo in place.

The simply ones revolve around knowing right from wrong, which most people of sound mind already do since childhood.

Without "Radical Ideas" Zanti Misfit your Constitution and the Bill of Rights would never have existed, just a thought.

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 05:43 PM
link   

What was once thought of as a " Radical Idea " , if it has True Merit , One day becomes a Norm . The Ideal may become Perverted , but the Essence of the Original Though Transcends Time .....

posted on May, 26 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   

"Nihil novi sub sole" springs to mind or "there is nothing new under the sun".

Original thoughts in this day of age are somewhat few and far between, especially so where politics are concerned. Its all just the same crap rehashed and repackaged for today's audience.

What's required for humanity to move forward is a paradigm shift the likes of which we have yet to experience in all of recorded history.

And to be honest i really don't see that happening any time soon, not whilst monies and profit are the be all and end all, thus the only colour of the day.
edit on 26-5-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join