It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would YOU fix the United States political system?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I’d like to keep things simple. So I’ve got a start that would probably help quite a bit .

Once anyone is elected to office on a federal level .

They should be placed under oath with the penalty of perjury.

Then prosecute any intentional lie to it’s furthest extent both criminally and civilly .

I think DC would be a hell of a lot easier and function much more smoothly .

If everyone had to tell the truth .

edit on 24-5-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

How would YOU fix the United States political system?

Fix it???

We have the best political system money can buy!! Will Rogers

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Zombie Apocalypse.

There is no "fixing" Washington.

It's like having a vegan tofu steak sandwich.

the only way to "fix" that meal is to throw it away and start all over with a ribeye and a good scotch.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
1) No Lobbying

2) 2 Terms limits for all elected positions.

3) Free equal air time and resources to run a campaign paid by the Government to all contending candidates.

4) Corruption in office equates to Treason and will be punished as such. Max sentence is death by public hanging!

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualarchitect

Eliminate EVERYTHING the government has added to their list of activities which it isn't directly tasked with in the Constitution. That means no welfare, no lobbying, no public employee unions-slash-direct conflicts of interest, no standing military, nothing. Break the government's teeth with a ball peen hammer and it won't be such a monsterous pain in the ass.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Outlaw lobbying..

Outlaw profiting from the position in anyway , except for their salaries of course..

No being a business owner and a politician for example ..

Abolish the electoral college.

Give set equal amounts per candidate for their elections..no more fundraising for any reason..

Sell off any non-functional government luxuries.. keeping land and real estate as it goes up in value, but selling off any frills that do not..

Start a tariff system where any manufacturers get tax breaks on anything that is relatively gentle on the environment, while imports that do damage the environment get the tax breaks ..

Raise minimum wage to the least it takes to support one individual with a 40 hour week.. That way any overtime is for saving and progress..

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The constitution doesn’t prohibit lobbying..

I am willing to bet most of our problems are from loopholes in the constitution that have been exploited..

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
No parties but one American party no party favors!

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Randomocracy - fill political positions just like you fill jury positions: draw names from the lists of registered voters. It would solve a world of problems.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I think it is pretty clear that reducing the size and scope of government is a huge first step whether you lean left or right.

One thing I forgot in my previous post was eliminating the IRS and moving to a simple flat tax with no deductions / credits of any kind.

Politicians use the tax code to curry favors with lobbyist / industries. Simplifying it makes it much more difficult for politicians to use the tax code as a way to payback those lobbyist.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It's becoming apparent that only narcissists and authoritarians run for office and seek power.

Therefore elected officials should be chosen via lottery. Much like jury duty. Every law abiding, income tax, property tax paying citizen is put in this lottery. When your name is drawn you serve a 2 year term on the local or national level for your county/city/state.

Personal accounts suspended and all living expenses supplemented to a middle class wage level for perspective and to prevent outside influences.

This way we are pulling from the broadest pool of respective candidates with the broadest views. With minimal room for corruption or bias.

Of course this is just a foundation. But it's better than letting a bunch of people who are disconnected from the rest of us call the shots and write the laws that dictate our lives.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: joemoe

I think we could probably get by with just actually holding them accountable for their actions... and it isn’t just politicians...

Anyone with a buttload of money or influence doesn’t face the same penalties as regular folks..

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Remove the lies.

Remove the corruption.

Remove the bankers.

But then again if you do then there goes capitalism and democracy.

Need an actual system of governance that functions and works towards the betterment of all its citizens, not just some of the people, or a select few.

To be honest it might be time to let some form of AI build you a better Zoo than "they" provide.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Term limits on everyone.
Cap at 8-10 years.

Tax returns open to public mandatory.

College applications and transcripts mandatory.

All legal documents open to public inspection.

No raises allowed while in office.

All elected officials must participate in social security and Medicare or pay their own way.

Eliminate all political parties.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

No military? How exactly would that work?

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

No military on foreign soil might work.

But everyone would need to play that game.

And somehow i dont see peace on Earth on the horizon anytime soon.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

It's certainly not a world where a military is not mandatory for survival. No such world will likely ever exist. Peace is only possible under threat of annihilation. Sad state of affairs, but it is what it is. A global Shangri-La is far in the future, if it ever comes about.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

The constitution doesn’t prohibit lobbying..

I am willing to bet most of our problems are from loopholes in the constitution that have been exploited..

I poorly worded that. If the government was restricted to ONLY performing what the Constitution mandated them with, then lobbying would go away because there would be no need or benefit from it. Lobbying exists because the government has become all reaching and all encompassing. Too many regulations and too many cookie jars with Congressional hands jammed inside. If not for that, there'd be no reason whatsoever for lobbyists to be in DC.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

No military on foreign soil might work.

But everyone would need to play that game.

And somehow i dont see peace on Earth on the horizon anytime soon.

We already have that, It is supposed to be called the UN lol...

It just only applies to other UN nations.

It does seem like everyone agrees that right by conquest isn’t valid anymore, but of course that is like playing musical chairs until you get a seat then quoting the game.. but progress I guess.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Fact is the world is far to small these days and fragmented for peace ever to remain the colour of the day.

Too many eggs in the one baskets the problem and the solution is at least somewhat self-evident.

No conviction nor motivation to get off our collective arses and do anything big nor meaningfully through.

To be honest £999 iPhones, Dancing On Ice, Organised religious practice and MSM don't help matters. LoL

The above is a first world issue through and hardly the domain of just America.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join