It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof that the USA needs to be disarmed.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
TEST TEST! SIGNATURE TEST!!

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
I agree the US should disarm, we should launch everthing we have right now at the rest of the planet................

T hat thought is almost as frightening as your avatar!
Would you like to live in a nuclear winter?
I know you are just making this up.
That is what you always do.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
Who cares if the cost of Windows and Office gos up 1000% when you have ready alternatives like Linux and Openoffice?

See how fast that well dries up if the United States pulls the plug on any development and the Internet. Linux could be a bit tough, but OpenOffice is owned by Sun Microsystems, a U.S. corporation.

Edit:

Anyway, it's no good without any Intel or PowerPC chips!

[edit on 3/3/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Who cares if the cost of Windows and Office gos up 1000% when you have ready alternatives like Linux and Openoffice?

See how fast that well dries up if the United States pulls the plug on any development and the Internet. Linux could be a bit tough, but OpenOffice is owned by Sun Microsystems, a U.S. corporation.

No republicants will ever pull the plug on development. Didn't you state America has the most Moral Clarity? Wow, then there you go. They would morally never do that would they. And without the interent big brother is stuck in the 50's...

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   

OK, so the price of Microsoft Windows and Office goes up by 1000% in your country and we buy California wine instead of French wine...who really gets hurt by this I ask you???

Uh, maybe the businesses that are highly integrated with them.

Sure you don't need SQL, when you can buy ORACLE at 10x the price

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00PS
No republicants will ever pull the plug on development. Didn't you state America has the most Moral Clarity? Wow, then there you go. They would morally never do that would they. And without the interent big brother is stuck in the 50's...

We're talking basically a theoretical an all out war (either hot or cold) between the U.S. and foreign powers. Obviously the U.S. would stop the delivery of any technology or any other help to our enemies in such a situation!

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   

We're talking basically a theoretical an all out war (either hot or cold) between the U.S. and foreign powers. Obviously the U.S. would stop the delivery of any technology or any other help to our enemies in such a situation!

00ps, sorry didn't get that part. Of course, that would be the best way to dismember the enemy and any international support they may have. But it would be in no doubt an axis. Would they have their own ability to set up an internet based on their existing infrastructure (before the USA bombs the hell out of it)?

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by crisko

You don't have to choose just MS SQL or Oracle.
There are other alternatives like PostgreSQL and MySQL. Many others will surface if Oracle and MS SQL are not available.

[edit on 3-3-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Oh my, we're talking about the world boycotting American technology to go to open source because we possess nuclear weapons! In a real cold war situation most western nations, Japan and Taiwan would be in the U.S. camp eliminating processors, memory and other electronic components from trade with your alliance Ace...I think your technology would fall apart quite quickly.

This thread is so esoteric and far fetched I think it's now meaningless....

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Oh my, we're talking about the world boycotting American technology to go to open source because we possess nuclear weapons! In a real cold war situation most western nations, Japan and Taiwan would be in the U.S. camp eliminating processors, memory and other electronic components from trade with your alliance Ace...I think your technology would fall apart quite quickly.

This thread is so esoteric and far fetched I think it's now meaningless....

I did not suggest boycotting American products, I suggested placing tariffs on nations with nuclear weapons until they disarm and you started talking about Microsoft Windows and Office.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Edit:

Anyway, it's no good without any Intel or PowerPC chips!

Considering the US does not own the internet I don't see how they could. It was a British man who invented it anyhow.

Intel are way behind in the processor leagues compared to AMD.

But anyway, yes disarm the US.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
The United States government Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency invented the Internet, it wasn't invented by any British man!!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:46 AM
link   
this thread has declined into a pointless pissing contest. Just walk away

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   

The United States government Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency invented the Internet, it wasn't invented by any British man!!!!

DARPA invented the Internet. A British man invented The World Wide Web as we know it today.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Wrong, google it, there are hudreds of links.

Its a British invention.

The inventor of the world wide web, Tim Berners-Lee, has been awarded a knighthood for his pioneering work.
Dubbed the "Father of the Web", he came up with a system over 10 years ago to organise, link and browse net pages.

The famously modest man said he was "quite an ordinary person", and although it felt strange, he was "honoured".

Sir Tim was recently reunited with the machine he used to invent the web when he e-mailed 80 schools from the UN's summit on the information society.

news.bbc.co.uk...
ieee.cincinnati.fuse.net...
molly.open.ac.uk...

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   

You don't have to choose just MS SQL or Oracle.
There are other alternatives like [url=PostgreSQL and www.mysql.com...[/url]. Many others will surface if Oracle and MS SQL are not available.

[edit on 3-3-2005 by AceOfBase]

All made in America, just like Linux, well not really.

Some distro's are foriegn. I am not familiar with postgresql so I may be wrong, but you get the picture.

Anyways, back on topic.

Yes, you can tariff us and there is not much we can do about it, but thing is, not many countires would play ball, esp. China.

[edit on 3-3-2005 by crisko]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I have a lot of respect for the US but u really underestimate the EU in technological terms, do u think we cant write our own software? produce our own electronics/ chips etc? I admit that the infrastructure is not there at the moment but the knowledge surely is, we have some of the best universities in the world, all that would be needed is the necessity to implement the knowledge and expertise we already have.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I'm sure you know that the Linux Kernel was developed by Linus Torvalds from Finland. Other countries including the US hade certainly added to the Linux OS but it can't be called American.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Yes Linux was developed outside the U.S. but it is a clone of UNIX, a U.S. developed technology.

EDIT:

I should add that Linux itself is just the OS kernel, most of the code is GNU developed.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I'm sure you know that the Linux Kernel was developed by Linus Torvalds from Finland. Other countries including the US hade certainly added to the Linux OS but it can't be called American.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yes I know this, it's based largely on Unix, devolped by AT&T.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join