It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Riddle Wrapped in a Mystery Inside an Enigma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   
A Stock Phrase typically used to describe something that is immensely puzzling to figure out or extraordinarily complex to fully understand, often relying on hyperbole and, occasionally, sarcasm.

The phrase is open to great interpretation and variation. Its three distinct-yet-related nouns allow for a variety of setups and gags related to The Triple and dependent on the Rule of Three. Frequently, the last item of the phrase is changed to something completely different and irrelevant to mystery for Rule of Funny, and the exact order of what's wrapped and inside what varies with almost every separate occasion the phrase is evoked. Sometimes, one of the three parts may be dropped for gags and line deliveries that require a faster pacing; conversely, additional clauses can be added for greater exaggeration.

The trope name originates from a statement made by Sir Winston Churchill in 1939 about what role The Soviet Union might play in World War II:

"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma, but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest." Right out in plain sight. Sometimes profound, some taking a stand, others expressions of anger. and perhaps unknown by many of the newer ATS members..... but always interesting You will find them at the bottom of most comments and posts
Take a minute and see where they take you, I think you might just be amazed, some ARE A Riddle Wrapped in a Mystery Inside an Enigma ..............................PEZ approved

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It's a Russian nesting doll of "we don't know"...

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Huh? I am so lost here.

Are you saying there's Russian bots hidden in the ATS comments attempting to be funny?

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The meaning of the saying as proclaimed by Sir Winston Churchill. Now that you are up to speed, it's about our members posting their thoughts in plain sight.... the topics are less often noticedBUT..... always in Green. Don't worry, the Russians aren't coming

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Slay the dragon

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The JFK "Magic Bullet" was that Riddle that is an enigma.

Not a mark on that bullet that hit two people, one in the ribs and then changed course in midair between JFK and the Govenor of TX but was found outside his body on a hospital gurney.
edit on 24-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I had no idea others were onto my way of playin off phrases

Love me an enigma....see em a lot in construction or math of dimensions....

Now an enigma wrapped in a mystery is jus too much for me.....and that bit encompassed in the frame of reference of a riddle.......explusssiiiinnnssszzzion.....his head blew off.....

edit on 24-5-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

edit on 24-5-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

top topics

join