It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denying Ignorance Doesn't Mean Blind Acceptance of Every Crackpot Theory!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I see more and more people on this site equating disbelief in their pet theories about conspiracies, ancient technological civilizations, etc. as embracing ignorance. It's NOT! We read and understand your theories yet some of us reject them! That's not ignorance but a careful review of facts on both sides and making an informed decision on what to believe. I think people are taking the noble goal of this site to deny ignorance and twisting it to attack anyone who doesn't believe in their far-out theories.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Some theories are too "far out there" and have no truth in them. Sadly the term "Deny Ignorance" is thrown at people who disbelieve their posts, etc. I think we all need a hard look at things when posting at ATS and try not to start world war III over posts that you dont agree with.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I see more and more people on this site equating disbelief in their pet theories about conspiracies, ancient technological civilizations, etc. as embracing ignorance. It's NOT! We read and understand your theories yet some of us reject them! That's not ignorance but a careful review of facts on both sides and making an informed decision on what to believe. I think people are taking the noble goal of this site to deny ignorance and twisting it to attack anyone who doesn't believe in their far-out theories.

I agree with you. There are many who wish to support their theories so badly that they will label any opposing viewpoint as "ignorance".

I never expect anyone to just believe what I have to say "on face value". Sometimes I post something heavy in opinion, but I don't as others for their belief, I just put it out here to be heard.

I think the following best sums it up:

"It's good to keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out."

X

[edit on 3-3-2005 by Xatnys]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Sometimes people have a far out belief or a weird idea that they post, and I guess there's some kind of thought process behind it right? Strange, or fantastic things that defy any kind of logic or might be the basis for a story. I guess there are plenty of things though that defy science or logic or proof, but many people believe: God, ghosts, psychics, UFO's.
Deny ignorance sounds kinda mean though. Seek knowledge might be be an easier pill for people to swallow.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I strongly suggest that you yourself, Deny Ignorance! Just because it may seem like a crack pot theory to you, most certainly does not mean it is.....take advanced civilizations with technology, it is not so far fetched at all...some people have a real open mind to possibilities especially when there is evidence that points to it, which is why there the theories are there to start with!

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
So, dj, when you said all liberals have criminal minds, what was that about?

Are you upset because people call you ignorant? Maybe the fact that you cling to partisanship during this era of change has something to do with that.

I agree with your statement on this thread, in principle, but I feel that you're unable, or unwilling, to take your own advice.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I think it's a prerequisite for every new member to post their 'ATS is doomed, and here's why' thread in WRD. ATS is undeniably what you make of it.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
So, dj, when you said all liberals have criminal minds, what was that about?

Are you upset because people call you ignorant? Maybe the fact that you cling to partisanship during this era of change has something to do with that.

I agree with your statement on this thread, in principle, but I feel that you're unable, or unwilling, to take your own advice.

If WyrdeOne's accusations are indeed correct, then that is truly sad. I think what you have stated here is logical and rational.

Let's hope that this line of thinking is something you truly wish to embrace, even if it was not before.

Not judging you, as I've never spoken with you.

X

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
LOL Well, I aint lyin'!

He made the comment in a thread discussing vandalism of a billboard in Hollywood.

I wouldn't make something like that up.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
And I am close-minded for not automaticly believing this just because you say so why? 'Close-minded' seems to be an attack these days simply for not agreeing with the poster right off the bat.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I think it helps to look at how many points the poster has before passing judgemnt. Alot of them are newbies and arent that familiar with how the board operates. I still say my alltime favorite started with " I am a demon hunter and was wondering if.." That one was classic. Anyrate, the more posts they make, the better they get..or banned...just depends. Also, there seems to be alot of opinion posts. That annoys me. Not ones like this, but ones that are "opinions" of 9/11 and etc. I think if your gonna post about that, you better have some links to back it up.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
DJ, Yes Blind acceptance of any theory is a dangerous thing. So what a person must do before accepting ANY theory is do research on it. Sure a person shows excellent evidence backing up their theory, but what about opposing evidence? What about stuff that disproves that theory? Accepting a theory without knowing what the opposition thinks is ignorant. So coming on to this website and believing everything you see is effectivly an oxymoron. Believing everything you see is ignorant. So don't think that everything you see here is true.

Take me for example. I was a thourough opponet to "Bible Code". This went on until I actually read up on it. I had both sides and drew my own conclusion. Now I'm a believer. Just remember to draw your own conclusion.

BTW Infinite, I aggree with your quote..... but his name is Joseph Stalin. That is if he's the one I'm thinking of. Don't kill me

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

What he said.
Sorry, but i've been called "crackpot" by you one too many times.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Well I don't know anything about dj slamming liberals, but considering his icon how can anyone be shocked at that.

But in general I must agree with dj.

I've been interested in ufos and paranormal phenomena since my early teens. I've written about it(under psuedonym and no, I'm not famous and no I've never been on the UFO lecture circuit), I've investigated it and I've seen things I could not explain and I've seen things I could.

In the past twenty five years or so I've gone from believing absolutely everything, to some things, to nothing to now open mindedly skeptic about most things.

I've met sincere people with mental problems, lot's of con artists and tons of power trippers. I am very confident in my knowledge of the paranormal world and some of the more intersting players. I've even met a few who ring sincere and that I believe...and they can all be counted on one hand.

I don't know everything and of course am not an expert on everything, but when someone posts something that is either based on bad information or half truths or things that cannot be confirmed, it is our job as a community to point these things out.

As far as plain con artists go well, as people interested in seeking truth and denying ignorance isn't it partially our job to make sure that the liars and scammers are brought into the daylight?

Usually when I disagree with someone I get slammed, evern when I can back my arguments up with facts and again lots of experience in the field, I've had Deny IGnorance thrown at me a number of times.

So yes, I think people who come on here to have their world view reafirmed instead of actually seeking the truth are the ones who are working against the deny ignorance label.

there are a lot of people on this sight who are younger and less experienced and yet when you try to point out their mistakes or disagree with their certain world veiw they get very upset.

So again, I don't know if dj is specifically referenceing political differences or not, but in general he's right...imo of course.

SPiderj

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Yes I said liberals had criminal minds, but that was meant in a tongue-in-cheek way and anyway it was a simple statement. I certainly never accused anyone of being ignorant if they didn't accept it as truth.

My point with this thread was meant to point out that just because someone doesn't accept your theory doesn't mean they're ignorant.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
the key for me to get involved in a new theory is the amount of research that has been conducted.............the info conveyed in a well thought out manner and has the links to back up the claims. mind you ......not links that are connected with other equally outlandish claims..........like "my father is BIGFOOT...........i had a brain transplant performed by aliens.......i believe that they are breeding pod people in AREA 51"

granted the area 51 would get my attention............but if there was no solid co-oberating evidence to back the claims..........then i would immediately dismiss.

IMO..............if you truly want to be taken seriously then you'd better come well armed with well researched information and be able to convey your thoughts effectively..............and being prepared for a healthy debate never hurts!!!!

angie

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   
"Deny Ignorance" is nothing more than a marketing slogan for ATS. There's nothing wrong with that, either.

Taking it as gospel, however, is silly and really quite irrational in my opinion.

Noone here would live or post in the spirt of a McDonalds or Subway ad- why start here?

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Why is it, a silly thread about a silly superhero, gets more replies than this thread, which is really infinately more related to ATS than some fat guy in latex.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   

by Jonna
Gay Jesus reptilian clones caused 9/11

I guess this says it all. Being a new kid on the block, I have to say I agree with some of the topics that are posted here are way out there, but they do have some entertainment value. I'm guessing this site started out serious and has turned into a circus. I would take it as a tribute of it's popularity. I for one respect it's value and will try to contribute. To the seasoned vets of this site, I give you all a thumbs up.

Keep the faith.

But is is wrong to say that your ignorant because you don't agree with a theory, especially when they don't provide support. Worse yet, sometimes they don't even explain what theory are talking about. Then people get into a pissing match and the point gets lost.

People should follow the instructions and state the purpose of the subject, provide support, and offer their opinion. Is that so hard?

[edit on 3/5/2005 by rwatkins]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
One instance where the belief in conspiracy theories can be hazardous to your health:

Bolstering years of reports that many black Americans believe AIDS is a plot against them, the most extensive survey of its kind suggests that the men most likely to believe such a conspiracy theory are the least likely to use condoms.

health.ivillage.com...

What is interesting about this, is that it is totally illogical. Even if you believe that AIDS is a plot, you would still want to protect yourself from it anyway.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join