It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Congress lie to Congress?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I put this in the Mud-pit as a precaution...

Recently there is much talk about contempt of Congress, lieing to congress.
It seems to me the lines are shifting. An untruth or “spin” used to be seemingly okay, looking at hearings of Brennan, Clapper and so on. Some even flatout lied, but that did not rise to a level to be criminaly charged. (Fair or not, the fact is there was no charge so far)

Now everybody needs to be held in contempt and needs to be criminally charged on the most simple spin or untruths or even misunderstandings.

Now comes my question:
Can congresspeople be charged for lieing to congress?
Looking at hearings with mr Barr, mr Kavanough and just yesterday the hearing with mr Ben Carson. I hear congresspeople make baseless accusations and assumptions, clear lies, untruths and spin during their ‘questioning’. Even claiming the administration is intentionally letting children die! Is that legal? Can they be sued for defamation?
I know it is mostly the Dems doing this lately, for political reason, cuz Orange Man Bad. But still...

I’d like to read your take on this.
edit on 23-5-2019 by Goedhardt because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2019 by Goedhardt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Goedhardt

Are you talking about that reality show?

Pretty sure all of them just lie, all day, everyday.

Oh and your question, if it is in the script, then yes, they can sue someone. Improvisation is frowned upon.
edit on 23-5-2019 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:25 AM
link   
You’re joking right? Rhetorical question? Show me just one politician that isn’t a sociopath dealer in deception? Just one.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: solve

Oopsiedaisy just noticed that i deviated from the citizen script,

I think West wing,, No! i mean the right wing is correct, #tokenslifematters#ustoo#onlysoyabean#

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Things were once simpler, a mans word was his bond. I'm from Tennessee, David Crockett, once represented my district in congress. Call him a liar and be ready to fight. The current crop of low brow, losers in the leadership of congress would never make it in the private sector, they would be in prison. Crazy Nancy and her followers are an embarrassment to the Democratic Party and the USA in general.

Few of them have any scruples left. We do have some hope with a few freshmen like Dan Crenshaw of TX and Tim Burchett of TN, but they are heavily out numbers by the corrupt. My hope is a near clean sweep in 2020, but I am only fooling myself. George Carlin, said it best, "America is circling the drain." please see, www.youtube.com...

en.wikipedia.org...
www.reddit.com...

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3
I'm from way up north from you in MN but I still believe a mans word is his bond. I've told many people that I don't always say what I mean but I always mean what I say. I've thought about politics, was even on student senate in college, but I lack the charisma and social skills to get very far.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Haha, that George Carlin dude summed it up quite nicely,

But ehem, excuse me i have to go and cast a vote because i am someone and i mean something.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: thov420
I'm from way up north from you in MN but I still believe a mans word is his bond. I've told many people that I don't always say what I mean but I always mean what I say. I've thought about politics, was even on student senate in college, but I lack the charisma and social skills to get very far.

I feel just like you do, and I would never put my wife through any kind of political run. I have done 100 k deals on a handshake, Those day are as few as the honorable men that I know.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Congresspersons certainly can lie to congress. Whether or not they are held accountable for it is another story.

If they are sworn during a specific committee hearing--and they lie during the hearing--they may be charged with perjury before congress. However, if they are not sworn for the hearing and they lie, they may be charged with making false statements to congress.

My opinion: congresspersons are reticent to enforce these rules on one another by bringing charges because "you don't crap where you eat," to put it bluntly. Everyone in congress does it as one time or another. Point a finger and you have three pointing back at yourself.

Way more info about this here:

slate.com...
edit on 23-5-2019 by TheTruthRocks because: "Oh, hi Mark."

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   
So it would be a great rule if all members of Congress are also sworn in during a hearing! The judiciary is already clogged, it would be waaay worse then

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I doubt it's a public hearing, but all members of Congress do need to swear an oath
to the US Constitution.

house.gov

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.”

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Congress lying? An easier question would be who cares either way.

When are we going to grow a pair and sack the whole lot of them ( thats all politicians ) and try starting again, how do we do that i hear you ask.

Simple, no one goes to work and the whole country goes to camp outside Washington until every last one of them is out, at which point we the people can then truly be responsible for our direction.

If we dont take some sort of extreme action like this then we're all screwed anyway be it by invasion, corrupt internal agendas or god himself.
The apparent definition of insanity is to keep repeating the same process and expect a different outcome so why do we keep doing exactly that.

We need to wake up and take back control for real, their cannot be a civil war if we are all on the same team and lets face it everywhere you go around the globe people hate Americans these days.

If only we put the attention we put into world dominance into ourselves then we would be displaying a country that the rest of the world would gladly follow by example rather than want to wipe from the face of the earth.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU

Simple, no one goes to work and the whole country goes to camp outside Washington until every last one of them is out, at which point we the people can then truly be responsible for our direction.

I agree with you in principle, but I have to ask what about the people who do like their rep? You must agree a 1st/2nd term rep is different than a 10th/20th term rep right? I hate to break it to you, but those representatives are elected by the people living in their district(barring voter fraud/manipulation). A lot of people are more than willing to vote that same rep into office because of their policies/stance/name recognition.

I really think what you're looking for, and correct me if I'm wrong, is term limits which I am 100% for.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   

How do you know a politician is lying?

His lips are moving!

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: thov420

Actually " what im looking for "- is unification and development of humanity into a truly peaceful existance.

Fair enough some will like their rep but in a truly democratic society majority rules so if more say fresh start then fresh start it is. In the scale of what we quite possibly face the only option really is a clean slate.

And as for being elected, well hmmmmm.

" Term limits " there should be no term of entitlement that way we could omit them if dissatisfied or they're compromised in any way.

As for the intricacies well way to much involved for posting about here but surely its not such a bad idea.

The only way to truly fix all the crap is simple. Stand together as 1 in one spot peacefully and absolutely quietly with a massive banner explaining our demands, refuse to budge and watch things turn very very quickly. Could you imagine millions of people in one spot demanding change.

Its really very very peaceful and simple if only we did as described.

Now who wants to lead this movement?
Who wants to organize this movement?
It can he done anonymously hence the banner and the silence that way people dont become political prisoners for trying to evolve the broken system.

But do people really care enough to come to one place and do as described, well government certainly hopes they've got us so bamboozled that we don't recognize this simple solution. Oh and dont worry about your house, car, etc being repossessed for non payments cause all the bank workers and sheriff's officers and cops would be standing with us wouldn't they?

Anyways cheers.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   

When has anyone claimed trump has intentionally let children die, other than choosing to enact a zero tolerance policy o immigration that lead to countless more kids being taken into custody...

Which has the side effect of more children dying in our custody just by the math..

We can’t sack the whole lot of them until America’s can agree on at least a vague consensus on reality..

As long as both sides have totally antithetical viewpoints that can never happen..

Is abortion of or is it murdering babies??

Is climate change a real thing or a vast leftist conspiracy?

One side is going to be right and the other wrong on ever.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Can Congress lie to Congress? sure ! only they telling no lie's ... just not telling the thruth ….. slichtly different frase
and if they are questiont about the so called "lie" they can Always escape by the political accepted ALTSHEIMER decise trick …..
"cant remember"
"diddnt know "
"never saw it "
ECT ECT ….
edit on 23-5-2019 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

I find it sad how your post have gone unabated. Shows perfectly that a few of us would stand face forward while the great majority puts their heads down.

That is exactly what we need to do but no one wants to make the effort.

It's going to take false prosecution and enslavement for us to do what is required. Kind of sucks. We have the ability now to keep the fire from ever happening but it's going to take a fire before we do something.

I've been ready willing and able. I'm no leader so I cannot arrange something like that. I could post a date on which we should but I fear I'd be the only one there. And without the proper paper work in place for a protest. I'd be in jail...

May God have mercy on us all.

edit on 23-5-2019 by TheGhoul because: silly little typos

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The Democrat side of the US House is doing its best to obstruct making America even greater.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGhoul
a reply to: CthruU

I find it sad how your post have gone unabated. Shows perfectly that a few of us would stand face forward while the great majority puts their heads down.

That is exactly what we need to do but no one wants to make the effort.

It's going to take false prosecution and enslavement for us to do what is required. Kind of sucks. We have the ability now to keep the fire from ever happening but it's going to take a fire before we do something.

I've been ready willing and able. I'm no leader so I cannot arrange something like that. I could post a date on which we should but I fear I'd be the only one there. And without the proper paper work in place for a protest. I'd be in jail...

May God have mercy on us all.

Exactly but if only a hacker or computer genius of some degree would set up an anonymous site and start sending out the message by way of ads or the like calling for a date and support. Once the support gained momentum our task would grow legs and the attention to the cause would be taken seriously. At that point all thats left to do is simply show up prepared for a lengthy sit out and sit peacefully and quietly with the banner doing the talking.
This is so simple that we would deserve everything we got for refusing to even sit quietly TOGETHER TILL ITS DONE. Talk about simple.
So hers hoping one of our readers who is on the side a closet hacker picks this up and sees if the ball can not only roll but gather momentum very quickly.
I would imagine time is of the essence from now on.
But thanks for the support, really i thought i was the only one who really has eyes and a vision for western survival PEACFULLY.
Im no leader either but thats ok, you dont have to be great to be a leader---- you only need great people around you and thats half the issue, the current powers that be believe the exact reverse.
Take care my fellow soul lightworker we have very big hurdles to clear.
Worst case scenario I'll see you in Eden.

join