It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish government considering banning Norse runes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

originally posted by: vonclod
How the hell does banning Runes deter hate groups?

It wouldn't really, neo Nazis in Germany still wear the swastika. The reasoning would be aimed at those groups. The Nazis were fond of using Norse/Germanic symbolism.

The Problem, they are too stupid to realise, is that the Swastika is an ASIAN symbol, used throughout Asia from India to Cambodia.....it is not, nor never has been a European symbol.

Now corn dollies, and the like, Gaelic and Celtic designs, Runes, Druids, Greek and Roman, as well as Neanderthal paintings of Mammoths, Are European.

Ban them all too?

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 03:33 AM
link   
This is mental.
On a related note, I was getting a coffee the other day and the girl making it had one on her arm, it was the rune used for the 7th SS division (The Prinz Eugen one).

Much to my wife's chagrin, I asked her about it. Turns out it's some vampire symbol now among certain groups of kids

I didn't tell her what it was, obviously. but it just goes to show that what you think you see, might not always be what you really are seeing.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: trollz

Apologies to any f#cking retards who might be offended by what I just wrote.

No offence taken 👌

Does this mean that they want to ban all things Bluetooth then?

When Jim Kardach was asked to develop wireless technology for laptop computers at Intel, he was reading The Long Ships (1941-1945), a historical adventure novel about Vikings that features King Harald Bluetooth, the king who ruled over all tribes in Denmark from the year 958 and then managed to conquer parts of Norway, making all the different tribes communicate and unite.

As Jim Kardach developed the technology and managed to enable different kinds of devices to communicate wirelessly, he called it Bluetooth, because the technology and King Bluetooth had the same purpose — unity and communication among different groups.

The Bluetooth logo is the combination of “H” and “B,” the initials of Harald Bluetooth, written in the ancient letters used by Vikings, which are called “runes.”

Bluetooth Symbol Origin and Meaning

Eta, a reply to: thov420, you beat me to it lol 👍

Strange world we live in 🙃

edit on 23/5/2019 by MerkabaTribeEntity because: Eta

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
HUH.
Yeah, lets ban an ancient form of writing, because someone may use it to write something bad, that 99% of the people will have no idea what it says.

Sounds about right.

LOL! Thanks. I needed that. (You're so right in your sarcasm, btw.)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity
You explained it better than I did.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 05:20 AM
link   
as always, politics makes good things become bad. Extremists using a form of writings as it would belong only to them, other politician banning a form of writings because they cannot fight the extremists. Hey, what's going on here?

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:02 AM
link   

aye nae bother Sweden , just through away your cultural history because some right wing arseholes
have co-opted a historical language to support their right wing ideology !

this is just stupid !

So swedes cant learn their own history in schools if this ban takes place !

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

My biggest take from this you calling out lefties, that literally is even more insane than the banning of the runes, which is pretty bloody insane.

Do you have to turn every thread into a political mudfest? There's only one insane persona here so far and it's you.

On topic. It's strange how governments want to change existing culture when allowing immigrants in, in order for the immigrants to 'feel' better, and more like the places they just came from. I thought that's why immigrants came to new countries. They wanted everything they weren't getting from their own country.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

My biggest take from this you calling out lefties, that literally is even more insane than the banning of the runes, which is pretty bloody insane.

Do you have to turn every thread into a political mudfest? There's only one insane persona here so far and it's you.

On topic. It's strange how governments want to change existing culture when allowing immigrants in, in order for the immigrants to 'feel' better, and more like the places they just came from. I thought that's why immigrants came to new countries. They wanted everything they weren't getting from their own country.

Yet here you are blaming governments and insinuating they are changing entire culture's by letting immigrants in, even though this has been the norm since the evolution of us humans. To put it mildly you are clueless.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   
culture should not be hidden or banned even if it offends someone somewhere !

all symbols should not be banned because they are just symbols , it is ultimately down to the individual how they react to it
all we are doing is pandering to people who cant control their own emotional states and their basic ego reactions !

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82
I think this is the crux of the issue. Some people can't control how they react to certain words/symbols and feel it's in "the best interest" to ban them. They think others also can't control themselves. Most normal people can just ignore them and go on with their day.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I don't have any tattoos but a law like this would make me want to go have runes tattooed on my body.

Sal

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: thov420

Aye , symbols and words only mean something once someone has given it a value ,

I suppose its up to you to determine which value you wish to assign to it !

with any form of creative art , from marks on a cave wall to language and complex art
its all completely subjective

and we shouldn't be using subjective states of consciousness to determine our laws!

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

And my biggest take away from THAT, is your denial.

Which is at this point in 2019, insane.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   
this and many other issues in modern society can be summed up in one simple sentence

"perversion is in the eye of the beholder"

now, the thoughtful folks will understand this, the "knee-jerk' folks will condem this.

the saddest thing, it's true and quite prevalent today everywhere.

( nd yes even I am guilty of this, even though I try not to be)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Apparently, anything derived from European culture is evil and must be expunged.The Left is doing an excellent job of eliminating white people. We’ll all be gone in a hundred years and what a wonderful world it will be.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
How the hell does banning Runes deter hate groups?

Ironically, stunts like this fan the flames of whatever it's trying to prevent.

*Government bans language that might be used for "hate speech"*

*Crazy people* "F you government, we're going to use that language for hate speech now"

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
European governments and societies don’t strike me as being very free, especially in regard to free speech.

America is still the nation with the most freedom. Our Constitution guarantees our freedom through separation of powers and the first and second amendments. We’re so heavily armed that no tyrant can ever seize power or take away our rights.

We have more than 80,000 separate government entities, each with its own elected officials, the power to tax and the right to have its own law enforcement agency.

If you don’t like the culture or the way things are done where you live you can always find a place more agreeable to you. I love this country!

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

will it , there will just be more people who disagree with another cultures practices and then they will come under the hammer too

a never ending cycle of love and hate !

the scales tipping ever so slightly as to make the game more interesting !

no side ever gaining a true advantage or losing so badly that the game ends!

What I find hilarious is that all human culture is derived from human culture , so its all the same , it all comes from humanity
so to say one cultural practice is bad or wrong , when its all the same source is just ridiculous

we all share human culture , its not race based as some people believe !
we all stand on the shoulders of giants!

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

Some would say your freedoms and privileges come at the expense of the rest of the world
just like how Britons freedoms and privileges came at the expense of the rest of the world

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join