It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 reasons Impossible Burger’s CEO is wrong about GMO soy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Don't know if you have heard about or tried the Impossible Burger that is all the rage currently. I must admit curiosity and had planned on trying it when the opportunity arrived but, as I've learned more, decided to forgo it.

What has been most disturbing to me is that the few times I've seen it offered no mention was made about ingredients and I was happy (or appalled) to come across this article.

For your information (cause you won't get it elsewhere):

The manufacturers of the controversial veggie burger just announced that in the future, due to “high demand” for the product, its plant-based patties will be made using GMO soy.

The formula change was made to ensure the smooth rollout of the Impossible Burger in Burger King restaurants. The soy formulation is apparently better able to withstand Burger King’s trademark flame grilling. As a result, in early in 2019, Impossible Foods dumped the textured wheat protein it had been using and replaced it with soy protein concentrate instead.

Pat Brown, founder and CEO of Impossible Foods, publicly defended the move. But a closer look reveals that Brown’s claims about the healthfulness and sustainability of “Impossible Burger 2.0” just don’t stack up.

www.howlatthemoon.org.uk...

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I don't get your reaction to GMO at all. Almost all of the food we eat on this planet is genetically modified. Corn was not originally sweet like it is today. Cucumbers were mostly seeds. Potatoes are genetically modified. This is historical data you can look up and is only 3 examples. Most of the food people buy at a store has been genetically modified for a very long time.

Most oils used for processing of prepared foods are modified, which many people eat multiple times a day. That bag of REO's (had to stick a Ben Carson dig in somewhere) are genetically modified.

This is all FUD. You're not going to turn into a mutant because you ate GMO food. You would've already.

+14 more 
posted on May, 22 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Melen

There is a huge difference between hybridization and gene splicing.

GMO soy is round up ready, have you seen any news of late regarding roundup?

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I will never understand why someone would eat a fake burger when they could have a real one. If I want to eat veggies I will have a salad.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

There is a huge difference between hybridization and gene splicing.

GMO soy is round up ready, have you seen any news of late regarding roundup?

The fact that most oils used in processed food are GMO means most of that stuff is GMO. Most people unfortunately each processed foods.

Soy has been GMO since 1996. It's part of their "Roundup ready" collections of crops. The crops dont HAVE roundup in them. They won't die if they're sprayed with Round up. Therefore, news of poisoning by Round up isn't the same as eating a Roundup ready crop.

This isn't a defense of Round Up. There really is no defense. This is just stating fact. Round Up Ready crops don't have Round Up IN them, therefore they won't cause the same effect. Whether there's another effect, who knows? Since it's been in some shape or form GMO since the 90's, I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's not a major issue. Unless there was a huge die off related to soy consumption that I (and the rest of the world) missed.

Still FUD.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Estrogen is for women actual women.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I will never understand why someone would eat a fake burger when they could have a real one. If I want to eat veggies I will have a salad.

Vegans think it's better for the planet (hint: it's still processed and those processes aren't always environmentally friendly). It's the same as Prius owners. So happy to rub in peoples faces that they drive a hybrid. Start discussing the damage to the environment the battery manufacturing causes, and they generally won't listen.

Give me real beef any day! Which... incidentally, cows, chickens and pigs, just some of the animals that are GE (genetically engineered).

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
There are many a non-sequitur in that article.

for instance

Brown says that “careful analysis” has “conclusively shown” GMO soy is “better for the environment than the alternatives.” Absolutely untrue. GMO soy, whether fed to cows or people, is bad for the environment. A 2013 Food & Water Watch study, based on U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency data, found that planting GM crops quickly resulted in the growth of herbicide-resistant “superweeds” which caused farmers to increase their herbicide use.

Has nothing inherently about specific GMOs. Most GMOs are bred to having higher output, however some can be bred to be resistant to environmental factors which (like weeds/pests)"Brown" was likely referring to and not the type for higher yields.

A family friend of mine is a "genetic engineer" in agriculture and was part the team that made "seedless" watermellons a thing. However there are other far more exotic things that they bred watermellons for that makes them a "GMO" but have no impact other than making them easier to ship to Japan, like making them more rectangular for ease of packing. Claiming that such a GMO means more herbicides need to be used for that GMO is ridiculous, but even less so than claiming more herbicides would be needed for a GMO that is specifically bred to be hardier in environments with weeds.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I don't eat industrial food in a franchise where they give you paper crowns to wear while you eat. It's like a daycare center in there.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   

ahem, youre talking to a former farmer. Roundup ready, means ready for the massive doses they receive during their growth, "ready" means they can take even more of what is residual in significant qty out of the store.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Melen
a reply to: FyreByrd

I don't get your reaction to GMO at all. Almost all of the food we eat on this planet is genetically modified. Corn was not originally sweet like it is today. Cucumbers were mostly seeds. Potatoes are genetically modified. This is historical data you can look up and is only 3 examples. Most of the food people buy at a store has been genetically modified for a very long time.

Most oils used for processing of prepared foods are modified, which many people eat multiple times a day. That bag of REO's (had to stick a Ben Carson dig in somewhere) are genetically modified.

This is all FUD. You're not going to turn into a mutant because you ate GMO food. You would've already.

Hybridization is an entirely different form of 'modification' then inserting new gene's into an organism and if you cannot not see the radically difference between the two, I suggest study of the subject.

This is a disingenuous argument repeated without thought or understanding.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Melen

The fact that most oils used in processed food are GMO means most of that stuff is GMO. Most people unfortunately each processed foods.

Hence the need or care on the part of those concerned with their health and the well-being of the planet.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   

ahem, youre talking to a former farmer. Roundup ready, means ready for the massive doses they receive during their growth, "ready" means they can take even more of what is residual in significant qty out of the store.

Worth repeating.... and repeating... and repeating. Kudos

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

From Wikipedia:

Roundup Ready is the Monsanto trademark for its patented line of genetically modified crop seeds that are resistant to its glyphosate-based herbicide, Roundup.

They don't get "massive doses". They're genetically modified to be resistant to that specific herbicide.

The real drawback of "Round Up Ready" crops is that they've basically created weeds that are Round Up resistant, pretty much defeating the purpose.

I respect that you're a farmer, but your information seems wrong.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   

So does this mean we should stop eating Leafy type veggies ? If they are sprayed with Round Up over and over you cant tell me even if they are washed and washed that the Round Up is gone , I bet it even soaks into veggies like tomato's and fruits like Apples ..

Got to re think what I'm eating to be healthy ...................

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Spraying Roundup...what could possibly go wrong?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   

They are made resistant so they can use more of it to combat the growing resistance.

Glyphosphate is an endocrine disruptor, exogenous estrogenic chemical. It also destroys the beneficial bacteria etc in the soil which further reduces nutrition from the plant.

I was an organic and polyculture farmer. And I work in medicine, we are quite familiar with roundup, gmos and the like.

You wanted to know why people have an issue with GMOs, so theres a few.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

So does this mean we should stop eating Leafy type veggies ? If they are sprayed with Round Up over and over you cant tell me even if they are washed and washed that the Round Up is gone , I bet it even soaks into veggies like tomato's and fruits like Apples ..

Got to re think what I'm eating to be healthy ...................

You might be right. I honestly don't know. If you are right, we're all completely screwed anyways. I'm sure someone must've done a study?

I'm not a Monsanto lover. I am definitely not defending them. My original point is just that... many things you inevitably eat have been GMO for years, and it's funny for anyone to be freaking out about it now. It's partially a response to there being just so many people on this planet to feed.

If people really cared about the environment, they would stop having so many children. We have a problem of supply and demand. The demand is so high due to population explosion that we don't have a choice going forward but to use GMO vegetables and cows, chickens, pigs, etc. We can't have entire crops of corn go to waste because of a solvable problem. Who would you choose to starve to death (and if you can answer that question without some serious thought, you're probably an a$$hole)?

I'd love to hear some intelligent suggestions on how to feed over 7 billion people (SO FAR) without looking into science that allows us to get better yields and protect crops against insects/weeds that will kill them. It's literally all FUD. Or you don't care.

Bt-corn is GMO, NOT hybridization. It is used in processed foods (corn meal, tortilla chips, etc). This is just 1 example.

Really you're just arguing semantics anyways.

I'm not even saying there's definitely nothing to worry about. It sometimes takes 100 years to see the effect of something. I'm more saying, it's silly to get all upset about it now. You've probably been eating GMO all your life, for you younger ones. That, I'll agree, should piss everyone off.

Edit: Some of this wasn't meant for the person I replied to. My bad.
edit on 22-5-2019 by Melen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

It is fking disgusting that the field will become more toxic over time so nothing else will grow. No matter how resistant, it will be super toxic to even walk over the fields. Hmm, just look at Mars. Wonder how toxic mars soil is to be honest.

edit on 22-5-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Hopefully, some day if a person eats enough Round-Up ready grains, the person becomes Round-Up ready and unaffected by it. (glyphosate)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join