It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Terrifying' Ebola epidemic out of control in DRC, say experts So what happened to ZMAPP?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
So just a mere 5 years later another Ebola epidemic. You can read the story here:

www.theguardian.com...

So any gains on the use of ZMAPP that was first used back in 2014 to save American physician Richard Sacra?

www.nih.gov...

Here's the wikipedia definition. Note who the three drug players were back in the game from 2014:

en.wikipedia.org...

So where are they now? Also, what happened to the drug TKM-Ebola? So lets watch out to see how this latest epidemic plays out. Using DickDuckGo I typed in EBOLA. Much was written in 2014 about a American physician Richard Sacra and that he lived and survived after having EBOLA. You can read the story here:

www.usatoday.com...

So just what is going on in The Democratic Republic of The Congo and why didn't The World Health Organization nip this thing in the bud back in 2018? The conspiracy's just keep on coming don't they. Here's the link and notice the drugs they are writing about but nothing about ZMAPP or TKM-Ebola. Were they sold to the big boys?

www.who.int... y-and-community-feedback

edit on 22-5-2019 by Waterglass because: typo

edit on 22-5-2019 by Waterglass because: WHO link failed

edit on 22-5-2019 by Waterglass because: typo

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Published Date: 2019-05-21 02:06:43
EBOLA UPDATE (26): DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO (NORTH KIVU, ITURI) CASE UPDATES, FATAL

There are several Ebola vaccines under development, and 2 of them are currently undergoing testing. The rVSV-ZEBOV-GP Ebola vaccine is now being tested in the DRC. This vaccine is having an effect on preventing the tertiary generation of cases but not primary or secondary cases.

ProMED-mail

Figures of the response
-----------------------
- 119 652 vaccinated persons
- 792 people vaccinated on 18 May 2019;
- of those vaccinated, 32 577 are high-risk contacts, 58 347 are contacts of contacts, and 28 728 are front-line providers;
- persons vaccinated by health zone: 31 862 in Katwa, 24 585 in Beni, 14 829 in Butembo [total numbers of people vaccinated in North Kivu, Ituri, Tshopo, and Haut-Uele provinces can be seen at the source URL above];
- the only vaccine to be used in this outbreak is the rVSV-ZEBOV vaccine, manufactured by the pharmaceutical group Merck, following approval by the Ethics Committee in its decision of 19 May 2018.
- 59 010 231 people under control;
-- 80 points of entry and health checkpoints are operational;
-- disruption of activities at Kiwanja PoC on 18 May 2019 following popular protests;
- 102 contaminated health workers:
-- the cumulative number of confirmed/probable cases among health workers is 102 (5.6% of all confirmed/probable cases) including 34 deaths.

Figures of the response
-----------------------
- 118 826 vaccinated persons;
- 779 people vaccinated on 17 May 2019;
- of those vaccinated, 32 225 are high-risk contacts, 57 888 are contacts of contacts, and 28 713 are front-line providers;
- persons vaccinated by health zone: 31 762 in Katwa, 24 426 in Beni, 14 679 in Butembo [total numbers of people vaccinated in North Kivu, Ituri, Tshopo, and Haut-Uele provinces can be seen at the source URL above];
- 58 745 920 people under control;
-- 80 points of entry and health checkpoints are operational;
- paralysis of activities at 2 Butembo checkpoints (Vulindi and Mutsanga) on 17 May 2019 following threats by militias.
- 102 contaminated health workers:
-- the cumulative number of confirmed/probable cases among health workers is 102 (5.7% of all confirmed/probable cases), including 34 deaths.

Published Date: 2019-05-20 11:52:01

ProMED-mail

Why is Ebola so hard to fight?

1. The vaccine’s requirements
Ebola vaccine has to be kept cold. But in tropical areas where little refrigeration is available, the vaccine can quickly become useless. And we don’t yet have a dried or otherwise nonperishable form of the vaccine.

2. Constraints and costs of new drugs
There are experimental, genetically engineered drugs for Ebola, but it’s not yet clear if they’ll be broadly effective, and affordable enough that they’ll be feasible for mass treatment of Ebola victims.

3. The failure of a technique that stopped past viruses
In 1966, during a large outbreak of smallpox virus, vaccinators tried a technique called ring vaccination with great success: They vaccinated people in a ring around the infected person. This trapped the virus inside a wall of immune people and stopped it from spreading. But attempts to use the technique with Ebola have run into problems. Ring vaccination requires a stable government or other authority maintaining civil order. The areas with Ebola outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of the Congo are controlled by violent militias that won’t let vaccinators do their work.

4. Gaps in scientists’ understanding of how Ebola kills

National Geographic

Also there are "war" going on in Congo, people are also suspicious against vaccines .. which makes vaccination difficult in the area. In Congo there are over 82 million people so when you look at how many they have vaccinated, it is very small amount, actually 0,14%

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
As for ZMAPP and expensive niche drugs for rare viruses, diseases etc

This falls under the same general reason that Republicans are against a cheap/free healthcare system: It's giving expensive medication and expensive doctor time in expensive clinics and hospitals to people who need it or else they may die, be miserable at the least, but cant afford it.

People with money that can be taxed a bit more are majority conservatives because in extreme layman terms, conserve money and if you're a conservative you typically have "money" or if a politician represent many people who have "money". They give you money if you're doing a good job fighting for them and people that are like them, albiet with less money but still a lot compared to average statistics.

There's exceptions ie; liberals but the root is money. Who's going to pay for ZMAPP to be produced and given freely to poor Africans with little to no education? Where's the benefit, who are they saving, why. Ethics, morals.. meh. They're token badges that less and less people wear everyday.

In fact, in my opinion the only people with heart to take a loss over them as a good cause would be liberal organizations or organizations mostly funded by liberal donations, and church or christian health missions funded by conservatives because of religion, not ethics.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I admit that my knowledge of EBOLA is years upon years old. But, if I remember correctly; first and second generations to catch the disease meant almost certain death. Starting in the third generation is when you saw the EBOLA virus not being as lethal. Thus, saying a drug is effective on third generation and not first and second generation makes me wonder about its effectiveness or if it works on the changes brought on to the virus by the third generation.

I have always wondered if EBOLA gets proteins or some other component from humans that by the third generation decreases the lethalness of the virus.

Just my two cents. (Sorry to anyone who doesn't use pennies in their currency).

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
double post sorry

edit on 22-5-2019 by feldercarb because: double post.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

It is a sad situation and one for which I doubt there is any meaningful solution. Having lived in Africa, I can safely say that the DRC has been at war ever since it was made independent. The truth is the "government" controls very little of the actual area of the country. The vast majority of the country is controlled by rival militias seeking to take control of more territory.

The thing that worries me the most is that the back-woods of the DRC are the perfect place for the virus to survive, thrive and mutate into something even more horrific and deadly and easier to transmit. If it mutates into an airborne variety, you are looking at a mass extinction event.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The drug is expensive and to be honest most people without a family tie to the region do not care about Africa, while normally I am ok with helping people because of the intense tribal issues in Africa I am not as in favor of helping.

The one person that seemed to have a plan to help get Africa out of the distant past got killed and his country wrecked.

Without actual central control, if you make nice with the wrong group you get attacked by the others even though you are tryin to help.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   

You answered your own question - treat 'white' US doctor.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Haven't you been paying attention to how many of the medical centers have been attacked? Between the wars in the DRC and the propensity to attack the medical centers and personnel attempting to work on stopping the outbreak, it's a wonder it hasn't spread farther.

posted on May, 31 2019 @ 05:29 AM
link   

What sites are the best to follow for keeping track of this situation? Thanks.

posted on Aug, 1 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   
twitter.com...a reply to: drussell41

She has the most current information on the DRC outbreak posted and frequently updates.

join