It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

millennials terrified of doorbells

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Yeah police sirens,car horns, car crash
Sound effects. Really annoying!

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

on my hundred acre wood. 

Pooh ? Is that you ?

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I think it's not a new problem...

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

As a so called "mellenial" I miss those sounds, they make a person feel welcome. But a courtesy call before arrival is best but still birds suddenly appear-damn you Simpsons!
edit on 22-5-2019 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Whenever I hear disturbing noises, I just say, "It puts the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again."

And the noises usually quiet down.

Usually.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I like the sound and rhythm of the old grandfather clocks.

A couple times a month, me and my buddies go up to their parents cabin on one of the mountains here. The place is therapeutic.

No cellphone data, patchy service allows you to make a quick call and relay some information, but a bit to patchy for extended talks.

You walk in the floor level into the kitchen and living area, during the summer all the windows are open and you can hear the sounds of nature. Most of the group is chefs so while we're up there something is always cooking in that area.

When you go to the other side of floor level, there is a study with a grandfather clock and a wood stove with all kinds of cozy chairs and couches and dim lighting. You're likely to catch someone just reading a book and sprawled out in there.

Upstairs is where all the bedrooms are, when everyone is awake there is just a radio turned down low with classical music throughout the day.

My favorite area is the one with the wood stove and grandfather clock. The tic and tocks are like a metronome that help you re calibrate from this crazy unnatural existence we have constructed for ourselves.

And now that I think about it, I'd be livid if a doorbell went off in that sanctuary... But it's one of those places if you know where it's at, you just walk right in because you're welcome.

What a beautiful tapestry you have laid-out for us. Thanks!

It makes me wonder why we don't all strive to build a home as peaceful as that?
And being there: why would anyone want a shrill noise to intrude?
Sure seems to be able to get the dog off-of the couch though!

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

What a beautiful tapestry you have laid-out for us. Thanks!

Thank you

It helped me go back to my place of peace even though it's the middle of the week and I won't be there till Memorial day.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Beautiful writing and images. I am at total peace reading this.

I DO enjoy your posts.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: hiddeninsite

Thank you kindly

Make sure to find your place one day too, we all need one...

Without a doorbell

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I think it is that times have changed.

When I was little the sound of a doorbell meant someone was stopping by, usually unexpected, to visit. It meant listening to community gossip - everyone knew everyone (almost), and it was a way of catching up on the well-being and sometimes not so well-being of others that we cared about, of cake being dug for in the freezer to warm up for company, the delicious and comfy smell of coffee brewing in the percolator.

Now, the sound of the doorbell means people asking for money, people trying to get into my home to make sure my furnace is safe and then trying to upsell me on things I don't need (never let them in), and the potential of thugs at the door.

When I am at home I am in my sanctuary - my quiet place from the rest of the world. I do not want others intruding on it.

I actually have a sign on my door that says we will not open the door to strangers. It says to leave whatever pamphlets in the mailbox. Half respect the sign and the others pound away at my door. I am working on a further deterrant that will work better for people who choose to purposely ignore such signs.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It must be on of those triggering doorbells like they have in South Central convenience stores.[yv id] JYb839FOEbo[/yvid]

In my youth, I pretty much grew up in apartments until thirteen, so we always just knocked on our friends doors with knuckles or a knocker.
But I always enjoyed the sound of different doorbells whenever my parents brought me somewhere to visit people. Especially the musical ones. Maybe there is a PTSD element those who are startled by doorbells cannot remember??

www.youtube.com...
edit on Sat May 25 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: broke link.....Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I always unhook mine, or mute the sound.
Like mentioned earlier, nowadays if the bell rings it’s a sales call, or a religious visit. And it makes the dogs bark.
Expected visitors just rap on the door.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

You know another guy that doesn't like doorbells?
This guy:

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Wait..people are really afraid of doorbells ringing?

Or is this like that AOC video where she tries to get points with people complaining about her garbage disposal making noise "at her" ?

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

A guy near me got murdered over a parking spot, in the suburbs!

Why it is so difficult to believe, that some of us do not want to get murdered?

edit on 22-5-2019 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

I think it has a LOT to do with this.
With the common isolation of millenials due to electronics, we have lived the majority of our lives in our own heads in non-social situations (physically). By having very strict control of nearly all of the social interactions, not having control of an interaction definitely creates a fight or flight reaction. Then when this lack of control of a situation is broached, there is a lot of confusion mentally and the fear of the unknown sets in. On top of that millenials mostly grew up with parents that were helicopters and planned every waking moment of every day for them, making unplanned chance encounters all the more anxiety educing.

I don't personally have a problem with doorbells, or random encounters, but that mostly has to do with the majority of my youth not being in front of electronics nor having helicopter parents constantly hovering over my actions.

It is a symptom of the times, and the overt control imposed and socialized into millenials.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Whenever I hear disturbing noises, I just say, "It puts the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again."

And the noises usually quiet down.

Usually.

The funniest thing about your post is that the people that don't like doorbell sounds probably don't know what you are talking about either.. now pass that lampshade!

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

or a simple desensitizing program.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
a reply to: rickymouse

or a simple desensitizing program.

If it is a plant defense system response, desensitizing is not possible. All desensitizing will do is alter which sound is accepted, a phone ringing might trigger it, or a siren or even lights or a different doorbell. I mentioned plant defense chemicals, but there are also the protection that microbes use that can cause symptoms too. Histamines power the syndrome, the defense chemicals are the primer. People who hhave this kind of response may actually overreact to viruses and bacterial infections more often than people who don't. Everyone is different.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

Millennials, also known as Generation Y or Gen Y, are the demographic cohort following Generation X and preceding Generation Z. Researchers and popular media typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years

Now, having clarified... I was born in the mid 80's and fall into this category.
Know what?
I #in' HATE doorbells. When I bought my first house, one of the first things I did was trash that stupid thing.

I'm not 'afraid' of it so much as I don't like loud unexpected alarms going off in my home...

Having said that, I do plan to have a bell set up to ring when people drive through the gate on my hundred acre wood.
Just not in my house...

When i hear a door bell ring, i'm kind of positive is some annoying pair of persons selling me a God subscription, or some other sells people, or something like that

I never get a door bell ring otherwise, and when people/family/friends come around they call first and i know when they are coming, even the deliveries are like that so the door bell ringing for me is about 99% "do you have a minute for.... (crappy sells pitch)"

And the cops/firefighters knock on the door and announce themselves loudly if there's an emergency, other people also tend to knock and speak up your name if they have business with you. So you can be sure that someone ringing the door bell multiple times and not saying a word means you don't know that person

edit on 22-5-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join