It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge orders Trump accounting firm to hand over records to Congress

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: timequake

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: timequake

Which don't you understand.... oversight? Or job?

I'm sorry, did you not understand the question? I asked you to elaborate on how you feel that oversight of the President is a role of Congress.

Obviously the only time oversight of the executive, by congress is when its the right doing the oversight. Congress could oversee and investigate the Clintons and Obama but not Trump??? Sorry but the courts don't agree with you.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

The actual question is what is the legislative reason for the taxes. Congress can't investigate crimes.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Gee now that they are getting trumps accounting records maybe that can check and see If he got any portion of that massive loan that bank CEO gave to manifort in exchange for a promise of a position in trumps administration.
Ahh yes chalk up another indictment for the Mueller team! The wannabe Secretary of the army has been indicted!!

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

So by the same token will you be presenting your financial records to the authorities so they can see if you MAY hsve committed a crime?
The dems have become the fascist papers please party.
I am sure you hsve mothing to hide.....right?

The 4th was penned to protect against exactly you!

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I don't hold a high office

I am not in a position where I am filling high paying govt positions

I don't have a buddy that was offering his support and assistance to obtain those positions in exchange for millions in bank loans

I don't have a gang of people around me meeting with known Russians close to Putin

I didn't ask for russian assistance or make plans to go to the Ukraine to ask them to investigate an opponent

I'm a 60ish women who sits at home and only ventures out to do shopping occasionally And am finding myself having to depend on my sons more and more for that.
I am really quite boring. My banking records are even more boring. I'd pity the poor chap that was assigned to spy on me.

edit on 23-5-2019 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   

You mean the IRS, who has that information, can't figure it out?

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: LDragonFire

The actual question is what is the legislative reason for the taxes.

Perhaps to enact legislation requiring candidates to release taxes, if in fact tax or banking violations are found in the returns; or, if candidates or the IRS refuse to follow the rule of law by refusing to turn over records when the law is clear?

Congress can't investigate crimes.

You sure? If Congress deems there are potential criminal violations of public institution or public office, such the Executive Branch (president).

House.gov: Investigations and Oversight

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Your source proves me right.

While the power to investigate is broad, the Supreme Court has since ruled that Congress must confine itself to “legislative purposes” and avoid the strictly private affairs of individual citizens.

The Supreme Court determined that the framers intended for Congress to seek out information when crafting or reviewing legislation.

Thank you for the backup, I appreciate it.

The requirements for becoming President is in the Constitution, taxes is not one of them. They can not simply pass a law to require taxes, so there is no legislative purpose there.

So what is the legislative purpose of demanding these taxes?
edit on 23-5-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Epic memory fail.... it all stemmed from the White Water investigation. What next dude? Washington wasn't the first president? Try to change history why dont you?

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
see above
revisionist history

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Lost in the conspiracy maze.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

And after they figured it out if they were to find something amiss what.would be their next step?

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Epic memory fail.... it all stemmed from the White Water investigation. What next dude? Washington wasn't the first president? Try to change history why dont you?

Don't you ever get tired of being so consistently, reliably, and spectacularly wrong?

Why Was Bill Clinton Impeached?

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

originally posted by: timequake

Which don't you understand.... oversight? Or job?

I'm sorry, did you not understand the question? I asked you to elaborate on how you feel that oversight of the President is a role of Congress.

Obviously the only time oversight of the executive, by congress is when its the right doing the oversight. Congress could oversee and investigate the Clintons and Obama but not Trump??? Sorry but the courts don't agree with you.

Pretty sure that was Kenneth Star doing the work, not Congress. I'm not sure what investigations were made into Obama. Either way, it doesn't matter. I never suggested it mattered who the President is at the time, because it doesn't matter. I stand by and say that Congress does not have unbridled oversite authority in to the Presidency. That would a be a huge overreach of undelegated authority--the likes of which we've never before witnessed.

As for courts? We'll see. The opinion by the Obama appointed judge is rather weak, and didn't really analyze what is happening. He simply stated that we should just assume that these investigations are for a legislative purpose The decisions that he cites would actually against this ruling, but he misconstrued them. Congress can investigate a subject matter in order to be more informed about that which they are legislating. It was never read to be that they can investigate a person as a criminal/oversight matter. The potential for abuse was cited, and as we see, is in action by today's House.
edit on 23-5-2019 by timequake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

And after they figured it out if they were to find something amiss what.would be their next step?

Maybe you can go read up on it and come back. The IRS can initiate criminal proceedings. Congress can not. The IRS has the power to act, and the information to act, and the IRS says there is no wrongdoing.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   

It's not up for debate, it is settled case law Congress can not investigate crimes, and they can only request information regarding legislative functions.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

It's not up for debate, it is settled case law Congress can not investigate crimes, and they can only request information regarding legislative functions.

I know.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I can agree on a President getting investigated, so long as said investigation doesn't infringe upon the Rights of the President as a Citizen. The Ptesident doesn't loose any rights upon becoming President (Please. Show me where that is in the Constitution)

One of those rights is the right to Privacy. Be to secure in ones persons....and I'm sure you all know the rest.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 04:52 AM
link   

So they might start criminal proceedings but then what happens? Oh ya you can't indict a sitting president which only leaves you with two avenues. Either we all sit around and wait for the president to leave office or congress steps in and investigates and once they have enough of the facts make a determination as to weather or not an impeachment proceeding would be warranted.
Mueller's standard was weather any crimes were committed that could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt and was looking mainly for acts of conspiracy and obstruction. Impeachment does not have the same standards nor is it so strictly confined.

posted on May, 24 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

The IRS puts forth evidence of a crime and recommendation of charges being filed happens. Congress impeaches him, he is charged.

Congress can not initiate criminal investigations. The people who do that have the information Congress wants. Nothing is hidden, the people who need the information have it, and have made a decision of no wrongdoing.

Stop being clueless before you speak.
edit on 24-5-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

<< 11  12  13   >>

join