It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prescription For Violence: The Corresponding Rise Of Antidepressants, SSRIs & Mass Shootings

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Yeah, actually you are cherry picking. You went to an economic index like that's the only determinant of a country's human development. There's a reason the HDI exists, because there are a lot of factors that influence how well people are off in a country, not just the country's economic status. If that was all that mattered, we'd just rank countries by GDP per capita as best to worst. Your graphic actually provides evidence for my point, however. 7 of those countries are in the top 20 nations in the world in guns per capita (not counting the US, which is #1 by far, yet another piece of evidence that guns don't equal gun violence, because we should have the most gun violence of any nation on Earth.) As I said, the availability of guns and the gun violence rate have no statistical correlation.

edit on 19 5 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Are people committing mass shootings because of antidepressants or are mass shooters taking antidepressants because of mental problems?

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Most mass shootings are thugs shooting it out in urban areas.
Gangs and drugs.

Those have little to do with antidepressants or gun availability.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Are people committing mass shootings because of antidepressants or are mass shooters taking antidepressants because of mental problems?

Do people have mental problems because they exist or do people have mental problems because of their circumstances?

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: underwerks

Most mass shootings are thugs shooting it out in urban areas.
Gangs and drugs.

Those have little to do with antidepressants or gun availability.

Good observation.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It's not the drugs. It' the shrinks behind these shooters. Nearly everyone one of them had been the subject of some kind of mental health 'treatment' before their rampages.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
It's not the drugs. It' the shrinks behind these shooters. Nearly everyone one of them had been the subject of some kind of mental health 'treatment' before their rampages.

Which leads me to believe that "mental health treatment" often does more harm than good. Sleeping dogs.
edit on 19-5-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Imo, its fatherless children not drugs causing mass shootings. I also believe these drugs do cause lots of problems as well but I do not think they're the primary cause of mass shootings.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
They think they are high but they will fall.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Probably more effective to take guns off people who have any hint of mental instability, or psychosis.

That's everyone.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
After years of depression meds(starting as a child in 1987 with Prozac), I finally took myself off them completely. The unfortunate lasting side effect is the same side effect I had while taking them. My brain has been forever altered by them.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
I guess the question to really ask is "Why are so many people so depressed that they can't bear to exist without drugs?"

Seems like relatively simple troubleshooting if you ask me.

I would say that has everything to do with stress, for many life is very very hard, this system has a tendency to let people fall through the cracks and the results are people losing their #.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I don't think the correlation defines the causation here.

Tons of people are on SSRIs..

The people who take SSRIs are already depressed... They aren't depressed because no of the SSRIs

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
I don't think the correlation defines the causation here.

Tons of people are on SSRIs..

The people who take SSRIs are already depressed... They aren't depressed because no of the SSRIs

But correlation definitely equals causation when we're blaming the gun right?

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Opioids make people go crazy and do mass shootings too.

The Holmes guy with the Ronald McDonald hair who shot people at a theater in Colorado I believe? He was on vicodin.

James Holmes, 24, accused shooter for Thursday night’s shooting at a Aurora, Colorado movie theater during the midnight premiere of Batman: The Dark Knight Rises, is said to have been under the influence of the prescription drug vicodin.

Holmes has since been placed under arrest and remains in police custody. He is scheduled to appear in a Colorado courtroom on Monday, although no formal charges have been filed.

92q.com...

The most interesting anti-depressant I've read about recently is the dopamine antagonist like Bupropion (Welbutrin and in other medicines to lose weight) and Aripraprazole or however its spelled (Abilify). There's many others, I think Seroquel is one.

They're mainly for schizophrenia where the dopamine is too high in the brain and manic bi-polar, but weaker and more novel ones like bupropion are prescribed to quit smoking. Chantix is probably one too. They can help with overeating, smoking, gambling, hoarding, etc. Basically compulsive pleasurable behaviors to the person that are destructive to them.

It seems to me that antagonizing the dopamine receptors thus under regulating them (causing less available dopamine activity) so you don't do habitual things that you like to do, things that tweak your dopamine level higher such as having a cigarette.

I wonder how it feels though, if the person is happy.
edit on 5/20/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Everything else aside, the fact of the matter is that violent crime is actually way down (and has been going down for 20 years) and all of this crap has been blown so far out of proportion that we aren't even having this discussion in the real world anymore.

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: BoscoMoney

I wanted to add what it has done to me. It cuts emotional response. It cuts happy, sad right on out of you. You are left feeling like a zombie with no feelings at all. Anytime you begin to feel something, 30 seconds later its gone. I'm not sure how that fits in to whatever narrative someone here is pushing, but its rather disconcerting for the person/me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join