It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prescription For Violence: The Corresponding Rise Of Antidepressants, SSRIs & Mass Shootings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 06:09 AM
link   
A good thought provoking article on antidepressants and mass shooting with some details about guns thrown in. It seems like many of the mass murders or even kids who commit these crimes have been on meds in some cases since childhood. Yet when this is brought up the gun control crowd usually wants to talk about something else... like more laws that criminals or those with criminal intent seem to ignore ..

The more gun control laws that are passed, the more mass murders have occurred.

Whether or not this is correlation or causation is debatable. What is not debatable is that this sick phenomenon of mass murderers targeting “gun-free zones,” where they know civilian carry isn’t available to law-abiding Americans, is happening. According to the Crime Prevention Research Center, 97.8 percent of public shootings occur in “gun-free zones” – and “gun-free zones” are the epitome of the core philosophical tenant of gun control, that laws are all the defense one needs against violence.

Therefore, when the media and politicians focus their ire on guns, specifically what types of guns are used, such as AR-styles, carbines, semi-automatics, and “high capacity” handguns, in the wake of such tragedies the American public are being intentionally drawn into an emotionally charged debate about legal gun ownership (irrespective of whether the murderer’s gun was legally or illegally obtained). This debate leads them away from the elephant in the room and one of the real issues behind mass shootings – mental health and prescription drugs.

The way everything is being twisted our gun rights to self protection are not in our own hands but the hands of the lawless and criminals not to mention the uneducated politicians who will say anything to draw the ignorant over to their cause.

Depression is a serious, and sometimes life-threatening, illness. But in the modern world, it’s highly over-diagnosed. A study published in Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics looked at 5,639 patients in the U.S. who were diagnosed with depression by their clinician and compared their symptoms to the DSM criteria for clinical depression. Of these patients, only 38.4 percent met the criteria, even though the majority of the 5,639 patients were prescribed depression medication.

Today, with the way antidepressants are prescribed, nearly one in four Americans will meet the criteria to be diagnosed with depression within their lifetime, and will be prescribed medications that interfere with how their brain functions.

Well what about the kids who are given Prozac a mind and behavioral drug starting at an early age just because they are acting out like kids do sometimes ? Grown ups bought into the slick advertising which basically said if you are feeling unhappy or stressed out "we got a pill for you"!

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a variety of SSRIs, including:

Citalopram (Celexa)
Escitalopram (Lexapro)
Fluoxetine (Prozac)
Paroxetine (Paxil and Pexeva)
Sertraline (Zoloft)
Vilazodone (Viibryd)

When it comes to effectiveness, SSRIs don’t appear to have an influence on those with moderate to severe depression, with virtually no improvement seen when comparing SSRI use to placebos. Instead of a popular drug with a high efficiency, modern SSRIs have become popular based on an effective marketing campaign and little more.
“Anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, hostility, aggressiveness, impulsivity, akathisia, hypomania, and mania have been reported in adult and pediatric patients being treated with antidepressants for major depressive disorder as well as for indications, both psychiatric and nonpsychiatric.”

It is a fairly long article that shows several studies linked in the article to back up their claims.
www.zerohedge.com...

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 06:49 AM
link   
It shouldn't really be surprising. Attempting to correct things with chemicals when we don't know the entire chemical process it is supposed to fix.

:shrug:

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

What? Are you telling me they are doing this on purpose?

And surely, the widely reported news on these events are not creating copycats and installing thoughts on these individuals?

-Irony-
edit on 19-5-2019 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   

After a series of surgeries I'm pretty much unoperable because of age and extent,so I was given a pain management Dr,I told her I couldn't take opiates,so she prescribed a time release pain reliever as I was told,well I'm out in my garage all of a sudden a voice is telling me"ya know tommorow your going to feel worse and the day after,just kill yourself" so I'm trippin and put it off to my imagination,but it was over and over again,so I asked my ex if she could take me to hospital spent 5 hrs in Psych,till it wore off,I'm convinced take nothing from a Dr sometimes even advice,when I told her about our conversation before she put me on it was"oh well we decided to try it anyway"

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: dubiousatworst
It shouldn't really be surprising. Attempting to correct things with chemicals when we don't know the entire chemical process it is supposed to fix.

:shrug:

Attempting to correct things, or maybe deliberately creating more problems to be fixed with more pills, for control and coin?

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 07:01 AM
link   
So. My conclusion is that depressed people armed with an assortment of lethal weapons, are more likely to carry out mass murder. I'm no professor of the mind, but that conclusion ain't much of a logic leap.

Probably more effective to take guns off people who have any hint of mental instability, or psychosis.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
So. My conclusion is that depressed people armed with an assortment of lethal weapons, are more likely to carry out mass murder. I'm no professor of the mind, but that conclusion ain't much of a logic leap.

Probably more effective to take guns off people who have any hint of mental instability, or psychosis.

I see what you did there,

NO, take away guns from people whom are on the "pill".

You can find something wrong with anyone, so you basically said- take away all guns, from everyone.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: solve
You can find something wrong with anyone, so you basically said- take away all guns, from everyone.

No I did not say that. You are making that one up. But, if depressed people are more likely to kill lots of people, then to reduce the risks it follows that they should be disarmed until they are better.

I know the gun debate in the US is highly polarised, but this seems a sensible step.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: solve

No I did not say that. You are making that one up. But, if depressed people are more likely to kill lots of people, then to reduce the risks it follows that they should be disarmed until they are better.

I know the gun debate in the US is highly polarised, but this seems a sensible step.

I bet you a hundred bucks, that if you take, maybe a week of vacation in an institution with DR. Greenbaum, he will not say, you are right as rain, its gonna need another week, then maybe another, and you are going to get pills, in all the colors of the rainbow, and you are already a lost cause, because you are on this website, this must mean you are already sick, my friend, but do not worry, a chemical lobotomy will help, and your life will be saved.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Ssri s are worthless. They have been shown to be no better than placebo at helping depression. What they are good at is producing suicidal and homicidal behavior. So we’ve got that going for us.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

i will always remember a co worker of mine, he was always kinda grumpy, but a functioning person, then he decided to get help with some minor depression issues, nothing too bad, i know because he told me about them.

Then he got these awesome pills, he was so happy, he told me that i should consider taking them also, because he was told it evens out a normal person too, makes you better,

Well, lets just say it did not take long before he was on a permanent sick leave.

I have seen him outside of the work place, i do not know who or what that person is anymore.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Also a very sad story was about the mother of a friend of mine, she tried getting help from the doctors after a divorce, she was feeling blue.

The doctor gave her a VERY strong medication.

After a couple of months she had disappeared from the house, in the middle of the night.

She was found dead in the streets in the morning, almost naked. She had fallen down, and cracked her skull on the sidewalk.

People have problems, but all these medications are very dangerous.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   
My son, 13, lives with his mother. Has been prescribed these medications since he was 3, all because he has a ton of energy. Despite my loudest objections, his mother insists that he can’t be controlled without them.

It terrifies me everyday to know he’s being force fed a pill he does not need, and can have major ramifications to his overall health.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I've felt this way for a long time.
The kids that shoot people used to be the ones that committed suicide. Today they get medicated and go shooting.
Instead of working on the kids mental issues with therapy they just drug em and numb their minds..

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

The United States isn't the only country to use psychoactive drugs, not the only country where teens commit suicide, or depression is on the rise.

But its the only advanced country where mass shootings are a thing and a stat and have xxxx year anniversary of xxxx mass shooting or nurture the societal norms triggering mass shootings.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
a reply to: Assassin82

The United States isn't the only country to use psychoactive drugs, not the only country where teens commit suicide, or depression is on the rise.

But its the only advanced country where mass shootings are a thing and a stat and have xxxx year anniversary of xxxx mass shooting or nurture the societal norms triggering mass shootings.

Yeah this isn't true. This only holds if you cherry pick which countries you consider "advanced." If you use any standardized metric, such as the UN's Human Development Index, to define which countries are "advanced," this instantly becomes untrue. The fact is that, statistically, there is no correlation between gun availability and gun violence rates between countries. There are some examples of countries with low availability and low gun violence rates, but there are also countries with high availability and low gun violence rates.

Do your own research, don't just think whatever the media tells you to think. These people literally lie about how many school shootings there have been.
edit on 19 5 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I can get drunk and take hardcore psychotropics while cleaning my shotgun on my front porch. But I can't buy a gun or concealed carry while I have a medical marijuana card in most state where it's legal.

The system is indeed in need of an overhaul. Especially the way we treat mental instabilities. Mass shooting to this degree are relatively new in the last 20 years.

Guns haven't changed in that time.
The way we treat illnesses has.

We know very little about what these drugs do to a human brain. Only by clinical trials do we know. But the exact chemical reaction that is happening in the brain is still unknown.

We give mentally unstable people a chemical cocktail with no knowledge of it's outcome and when that snap we blame the weapon used. The companies making this stuff and the people dispensing it should be held accountable.

"The only thing someone smoking cannabis will assault is a bag of Doritos." Perhaps we should look further into this as a society...

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I'm. Not going to cherry pick countries, by advanced I mean economic powers, not 3rd world countries; countries on par with the United States in terms of infrastructure, communications and a valuable currency system.

You can pick any first world country and compare mass shooting data, and the antidepressants angle won't hold true. In fact most other advanced countries have free Healthcare systems, people in the US go to Canada because they get cheaper pills. Canada gives out more pills than we do; use 3 fingers to count their school shootings in a century...

Directly from the UN, and my point still holds true. Compare to any of the countries listed below, were number one in mass shootings

www.un.org/en/development/desa/policy/wesp/wesp_current/2014wesp_country_classification.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiv9KjW5qfiAhUQJTQIHemkApsQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvV aw2u4ZZ6iW8cluOPzM90voPt
edit on 19-5-2019 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2019 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I guess the question to really ask is "Why are so many people so depressed that they can't bear to exist without drugs?"

Seems like relatively simple troubleshooting if you ask me.
edit on 19-5-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   

That is the profit model for at least the pharmaceutical industry. It appears to be used by the MIC as well and probably the antivirus industry has a close fit. Actually, look at almost any industry,

1. offer a sort-of solution to a problem
2. amplify a new problem
3. offer a solution to the new or additional problem that creates an additional problem
4. offer a solution to the additional problem that creates an additional problem
5. repeat 3 and 4 to make trillions

Seems very hegelian, but everything does :-)

Cheers - Dave

<<   2 >>

join