It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help ID'ing some pods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The shot were taken from my perch in Jedi on May 2. THe F-15 was maneuvering pretty high over the Panamint Valley at around 20000 feet so even with my 400mm its grainy from the distance. but I'm wondering if I caught a Legion pod that is mentioned here www.thedrive.com...

Also is that a hard point or another sensor on the center?

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

That is definitely a Legion pod. But I have no idea what the other hard point is. From that angle it looks to be hanging very low. But something is there.

Cool pictures btw

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   

The two intake pods are the AN/AAQ-13, and AN/AAQ-14/28/33 pods that the E models carry. The centerline pod appears to be the AN/ASQ-236.

AN/ASQ-236 SAR pod.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

That is definitely a Legion pod. But I have no idea what the other hard point is. From that angle it looks to be hanging very low. But something is there.

Cool pictures btw

I'll say, unless it's retractable it would be dangerously close to scraping the ground.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

It's not Legion, but it doesn't hang as low as it appears.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Thanks!!!! Love this forum!

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

My fav jet. Bru 46/47 and Lau-106's still. When I left it was up to Suite 5E plus but no idea where they are now. Funny...we had handheld GPS units back in the day to key in the KY-58 for the weapons. That snip is like LP's compared to live streaming now!

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

I can remember when we had a -135 come in that used a handheld GPS unit. They'd hold it up to the cockpit windows to get a reading, and were amazed when it got them to within 12 miles of the runway.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 05:32 PM
link   

LOL...we had to take it outside of the Tab vee's here in the Heath cuz it needed line of site to see the satellites. You had t wait several minutes for it to aquire x amount of satellites before loading the data into the bombs. Snip has come a long way.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

LOL...we had to take it outside of the Tab vee's here in the Heath cuz it needed line of site to see the satellites. You had t wait several minutes for it to aquire x amount of satellites before loading the data into the bombs. Snip has come a long way.

Jebus. I bought a $40 gizmo that mounts on the top of my camera that puts GPS data into the exfil file. It locks on in about 4-5 second lol

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I remember well before GPS, when we had to use INS, and it took an hour of running engines to align the system. And you could screw with the crew something awful if you parked them near a metal grate.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I remember well before GPS, when we had to use INS, and it took an hour of running engines to align the system. And you could screw with the crew something awful if you parked them near a metal grate.

If I recall most airfields had a spot you were supposed to taxi over to align the INS.

Or the R2D2 in the SR-71 using astro-inertial guidance system.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   

We actually had spots where NOT to align. I think you're thinking of the compass rose. The INS just needed to know its exact position at the start of alignment. We had one spot on 15 row that had a drain next to it. If you tried to align there, without pulling forward 10-15 feet, you were as much as 90 degrees off on your alignment because the grate would pull the compass off. We had a crew piss us off so we didn't tell them about the grate. They were ready to pull units and go to the compass rose to align their compass.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I have seen some similar pods at work.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Its always fun doing a an Airbus window change and getting to the part in the AMM where it tells you to remove the standby compass for access (which isn't actually necessary). The "uh oh" feeling you get is great when you realize a compass swing will be needed but know the tech services guys haven't worked it out yet that your local compass rose is no longer usable. It happened to us a few weeks back and had to fly an unladen A380 under dispensation from the manufacturer from Sydney to Brisbane to perform one. That was probably one of the worlds most expensive window changes!

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

We had a Colorado C-130 have a cockpit windscreen pane go bad. The crew chief, and I use the term loosely, gets the new pane and starts to change it. The T.O. gives a whole procedure for popping it loose after you undo the screws, but the "QA isn't around and this is faster" procedure is to cover the pane and tap it with a chock.

So he covers it and taps it, and nothing happens. So he tries a few more times with the same result. Now, at this point, a person with half a brain would stop and think something isn't right, and double check things. Not our crew chief. He Knows everything is fine and the pane is just stuck because it's been in there so long. So his solution is that he'll just hit it harder.

His oh # moment was when the pane two panes away from the one he was changing cracked, on either side. Not only did those two crack, he deformed the framing around the one he was changing. Turned out he left five or six screws in.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I remember F-14 and A-6 crews mounting Fuzz busters in their aircraft.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
A Nellis Eagle from the Weapons School was caught flying with a Legion Pod during Northern Edge.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Speaking of Legion, General Atomics flew Legion on their Avenger.

www.ga.com...

join