It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Laws Only Affect the People You Don't Have to Worry About in the First Place

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Understood. Thanks!

I thought that's where you were going, but I didn't read it that way.

Agreed.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Living in constant perpetual fear, where you're literally too scared to even go to work without being armed, really sounds like a fun way to go through life!

But each to their own, I suppose.

I love this "argument." I love it because it's completely made up. Nobody that's a daily carrier carries a gun because they're afraid. That's like saying people that maintain car insurance are afraid of accidents every time they get in their car or if you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen you're afraid of burning your house down every time you cook something. It's there just in case, that's all. It definitely says something about you guys though, that you're so unnerved by us you have to make stuff up about us to make yourself feel better.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Living in constant perpetual fear, where you're literally too scared to even go to work without being armed, really sounds like a fun way to go through life!

But each to their own, I suppose.

I love this "argument." I love it because it's completely made up. Nobody that's a daily carrier carries a gun because they're afraid. That's like saying people that maintain car insurance are afraid of accidents every time they get in their car or if you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen you're afraid of burning your house down every time you cook something. It's there just in case, that's all. It definitely says something about you guys though, that you're so unnerved by us you have to make stuff up about us to make yourself feel better.

We livin in a Clown World brah! Keep up.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

BRAVO!!!!!!

edit on 5/18/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

How does you being armed the deciding factor in who is responsible for your safety??

The “margin of error “ where being armed would save your life is basically nonexistent...

It happens, but probably about as often as someone is struck by lightning in the US .. and your employer isn’t responsible for you if they stop you from wearing a lightning rod.

Look up how many justifiable homicides there are in America every year..

Almost none..

I just do not see the reward/risk Scenario working out ..

The only time a gun helps you is if you see the threat coming, are better trained or have the jump on your attacker (why would you have the jump on the person attacking you.. if you did you would be attacking them..lol)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

There are millions of defensive gun uses every year. About 10% of those millions the carrier believes them carrying saved their lives.

Get a clue.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

How does you being armed the deciding factor in who is responsible for your safety??

The “margin of error “ where being armed would save your life is basically nonexistent...

It happens, but probably about as often as someone is struck by lightning in the US .. and your employer isn’t responsible for you if they stop you from wearing a lightning rod.

That's the impression you have from biased media coverage, but it's not reality. Pretty much every study ever done on defensive gun use has found it to be more common than criminal usage. The thing is, the overwhelming majority of those instances involve no shots fired, so they don't make the news and they won't appear in justifiable homicide stats. People use guns to protect themselves every day in this country.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I've used a gun to protect myself twice. In neither of those incidents was I, thank God, required to pull the trigger.

The first time, the sight of my .38 revolver was enough to deter the would be burglar. The second time, the sound of my shotgun being wracked was enough to send that one scurrying away, as well.

Neither time did I call the cops, because by the time they got there, the guys would have been long gone.

The one time I was confronted without having a gun, I ended up getting stabbed...

So, guess what's in my holster??

There are thousands of instances just like those first two that happen on a regular basis. Seldom do the gun owners call the cops because they're too far away to get there with any sort of speed, and most of us have better things to do.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I've used a gun to protect myself twice. In neither of those incidents was I, thank God, required to pull the trigger.

The first time, the sight of my .38 revolver was enough to deter the would be burglar. The second time, the sound of my shotgun being wracked was enough to send that one scurrying away, as well.

Neither time did I call the cops, because by the time they got there, the guys would have been long gone.

The one time I was confronted without having a gun, I ended up getting stabbed...

So, guess what's in my holster??

There are thousands of instances just like those first two that happen on a regular basis. Seldom do the gun owners call the cops because they're too far away to get there with any sort of speed, and most of us have better things to do.

But the media tells them things like that are nothing but gun nuts fantasies and never happen, so that's what they believe. As usual reality and the media narrative are miles apart.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   

A "gun nut" fantasy would involve me shooting both of 'em, wouldn't it?? I mean, we're all sitting around just salivating at the thought of usin' our shootin' irons on someone...right??

The reality is somewhat different, in truth. Though you'd have a hard time sellin' that one.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Oh yeah, we're all itchy-trigger-fingered psychopaths. At least that's what you'd think from listening to the anti-gun extremists. The only way they can make their case is to make things up about gun owners. In reality, the overwhelming majority of us are intelligent, responsible (considering how many guns and gun owners there are in the US, if even half the nonsense the anti-gun crowd believed about us were true there would be thousands of accidental shootings every year), and we're definitely more aware of our local laws than they are in most cases. People think carrying a gun makes you all gung ho, when the opposite is true. If anything, I go even more out of my way to avoid confrontation when I'm carrying. The last thing I want to do is shoot someone, even if I'm in the right. I will if it comes down to protecting my life or someone else's life, but I hope I never have to make that decision.
edit on 18 5 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
a reply to: seagull

Oh yeah, we're all itchy-trigger-fingered psychopaths. At least that's what you'd think from listening to the anti-gun extremists.....

After having many discussions with anti-gun advocates, and hearing all their reasons, I am now convinced that they fear that people with a gun will be looking for someone to shoot because that is exactly what their own mind tells them they would do themselves. It is total projection, just like what we are seeing in the political sphere now. Where the recently proven baseless accusations of Russian collusion have been coming from people that are actually doing just that, colluding with Russia.

In their mind, if they are doing it (or would do it) then "the other side" must also think the same way.

Projection based upon their own mindset of fear that they would shoot at the drop of a hat when they got mad. So, to them "the other side" must also think the same way.....right?

edit on 5/18/2019 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I rent an office in a mansion that was converted to office spaces. The lady across the hall from me is a relationship / divroce therapist. Yesterday, she had a client in her office and the guy had a complete meltdown to the point I thought he might get violent. You could clearly hear the guy cussing / yelling / and flipping out in the common areas of the building.

I calmly locked the door to my office, but it was really kind of disconcerting. The only thing that gave me some reassurance was that another guy in the office is a CCW holder and packs daily. Given how loud of a melt down this guy was having, I knew my office mate probably put one in the chamber and had his gun close by....

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I rent an office in a mansion that was converted to office spaces. The lady across the hall from me is a relationship / divroce therapist. Yesterday, she had a client in her office and the guy had a complete meltdown to the point I thought he might get violent. You could clearly hear the guy cussing / yelling / and flipping out in the common areas of the building.

I calmly locked the door to my office, but it was really kind of disconcerting. The only thing that gave me some reassurance was that another guy in the office is a CCW holder and packs daily. Given how loud of a melt down this guy was having, I knew my office mate probably put one in the chamber and had his gun close by....

There are millions of concealed carriers in the United States. Most of these anti-gun extremists don't realize they're likely around people carrying every single day and don't even know it. We're not dangerous. Far from it.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 10:59 PM
link   

The opening post described a fearful person, who started carrying.
So some people do carry because they are afraid. I actually think ll people who carry, do so because of a fear in the back of their minds...Not that it's a good or bad thing. But why other than fear would you carry something that eliminates threats from other humans? Some of whom were completely sane when they purchased their weapon.

This area is VERY VERY GRAY....Gun Metal Gray..
There is no answer to the US Civilian arms race, it's too late.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Why would the sheriff not also recommend an order of protection? Heck, that's what my ex was told to do by the cop she was sleeping with. It keeps me from buying a gun but I still have the ones I already had prior to her bogus report. How stupid is that? In this case, it certainly seems the sheriff failed her by not recommending the order. The sheriff must have been aware of and following this ruling you mentioned by the supreme court? That sounds like "case law" and with my limited knowledge, case law leaves room for this ridiculousness to spread out into other situations. Recommending the gun and training was like him saying "you can serve yourself some protection." Having said that, I like the gun idea as an extra security measure. It appears orders of protection are now limited to the legitamate use and misuse by exes for their perceived benefit?

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt

The opening post described a fearful person, who started carrying.
So some people do carry because they are afraid. I actually think ll people who carry, do so because of a fear in the back of their minds...Not that it's a good or bad thing. But why other than fear would you carry something that eliminates threats from other humans? Some of whom were completely sane when they purchased their weapon.

This area is VERY VERY GRAY....Gun Metal Gray..
There is no answer to the US Civilian arms race, it's too late.

I don't see any grey in it at all. You either leave the house in the morning depending on someone else to keep you out of harms way, or you take reasonable measures to keep yourself out of harms way. It's really as simple as that.

Some might characterize this as "fear", but I personally characterize it as "taking personal responsibility for self-preservation".

I don't walk around thinking I'm going to shoot someone. Ever. In fact, I worry sometimes that I'll actually forget I'm armed in a violent situation and not act fast enough as a result. I actually sort of had this happen once even. I was in a grocery store where some kid high on something got in a dispute with the customer service clerk. He brandished what looked like a pistol (turned out to be an airsoft pistol). Unbeknownst to him there were two LEO's in the back room reviewing some shoplifting videos. They appeared out of nowhere and arrested him on the spot (as they should have). As I was walking across the parking lot I was thinking..."Wow, that was pretty crazy!" I reached back to unclip my car keys from my belt loop and remembered I had my 9mm on my hip.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Gun Laws Only Affect the People You Don't Have to Worry About in the First Place

Agreed.
And even though gun laws will cut down on events like kids getting guns and accidental shootings by idiots. That is not enough for me to give up my freedoms.

The larger threat are the people that don't follow gun laws.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Aboom

Maybe she had one. If he is going to kill her why would that stop him?

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

Yes, they were afraid. But ...

That post made it seem as if this was something they chose. If only they didn't choose to be a gun owner they would have no fear.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join