It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Laws Only Affect the People You Don't Have to Worry About in the First Place

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Living in constant perpetual fear, where you're literally too scared to even go to work without being armed, really sounds like a fun way to go through life!

But each to their own, I suppose.

Must suck to live life being scared of an inanimate object.... Honk honk

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I wouldn't say "only".

The problem with a "debate" about creating onerous laws to deal with a relatively minor problem like violence is that a sledgehammer solution for any problem often does do what it was intended to do.

Obviously, there is far less gun violence in countries where it is difficult (if not impossible) to legally obtain a gun. But here's the rub. You could also probably reduce ALL crime by half by simply rounding up all the poor people and tossing them in concentration camps without due process. If it was done "right" this could be relatively cheap (relative to dealing with all the crime and problems in society that are caused by poor people).

Now, it's important for me to point out (because I know someone is not getting it) that I AM NOT ADVOCATING THIS.

What I AM saying is that you could pretty much solve any problem by simply hitting it with overwhelming force and completely disregarding civil liberties.

So yes. If guns were completely banned for all civilians on planet earth and aggressive measures were taken to seize them at every opportunity until there were pretty much none left in private hands, of course gun violence (as a crime perpetrated by ordinary civilians upon one another) would basically disappear.

This is why it is difficult to argue with unreasonable people who want to solve minor problems with the biggest hammer they can find. It DOES work if you don't care about crushing anyone who gets in your way. You cannot win an argument with unreasonable people by trying to be reasonable with them. You can't talk sense into people who refuse to be sensible. You cannot convince someone who is determined to do things their way that their way is not the best way. These people are hell bent on what they want. Unfortunately.

EDIT

So, whenever you enter into an argument with these people, you might as well skip completely past trying to say that "it won't work". Clearly, it works if the only goal is reducing gun violence. Your argument must be that reducing gun violence is not worth the price of surrendering your civil liberties and it's just as simple as that. You're allowed to be unreasonable. Which is why they're doing it. They've realized there's no law against being unreasonable and not compromising on what they want. They're allowed to defeat your argument by any means necessary. If you go into it believing you can win an argument with a biased idiot, you will lose.

edit on 18-5-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
But getting ran off the road negates the use of a gun.

How? He ran her off of the road, got out of his car and shot her. It wasn't even a bad accident. She could have got her weapon out and shot him. If she had it.

Look I feel your pain man. But after getting ran off the road and then trying to get into the glove department may be a very difficult task. Especially if he ran her into something.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

But getting ran off the road negates the use of a gun.

How? He ran her off of the road, got out of his car and shot her. It wasn't even a bad accident. She could have got her weapon out and shot him. If she had it.

Look I feel your pain man. But after getting ran off the road and then trying to get into the glove department may be a very difficult task. Especially if he ran her into something.

Well. At least she might have had a chance.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Living in constant perpetual fear, where you're literally too scared to even go to work without being armed, really sounds like a fun way to go through life!

Are you talking about all the millions of police in America? Or Armed body guards guarding politicians? You mean all the hypocrites who work tirelessly to keep them for themselves, but take them away from the common citizen?

Are you the agent of your own delusional naivety?

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Living in in constant perpetual dependence upon others for your safety, where you're literally too scared to even go to work without being protected by someone else because you have so little confidence in your own ability to take care of yourself, really sounds like a fun way to go through life!

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Yep. Gun free zones--or, target rich environment to insane assholes.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

So you're going to depend upon others to do it for you?? Or a piece of paper?? Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I hope rolling over and showing your throat works for you, and keeps you safe. I prefer to be aware and prepared.

This entire story, especially its tragic denouement, was contingent on the murdering pos knowing she couldn't defend herself...had he known she was armed, in all likelihood, nothing happens. Cowardly man that he was.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   
People say it's the cops job to protect us,people who don't like guns that is, and the cops say serve and protect.
But when you ask why they don't protect they say it's not their job.
I agree with others that if someone removes your right to protect yourself than it is now their obligation to protect you.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Yes, she wanted to be chased and hounded by her ex, she must have asked for it, right?

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

What reduces her ability to get to her gun more, being run off the road, or not letting her have it?

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
OP the people you're trying to talk to have no interest in an honest conversation on the subject. Most of them don't even know enough about the subject to have an honest conversation. It's sad, because the people who know the most about this issue and could help come up with real solutions are never listened to because their solution isn't just ban xyz. The people who refuse to listen to actually informed people and learn the subject matter are a barrier to progress.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
People say it's the cops job to protect us,people who don't like guns that is, and the cops say serve and protect.
But when you ask why they don't protect they say it's not their job.
I agree with others that if someone removes your right to protect yourself than it is now their obligation to protect you.

Not to mention it's actually not their job to protect us. That's been adjudicated by the courts. They have no legal obligation. I'd rather depend on myself.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Obviously, there is far less gun violence in countries where it is difficult (if not impossible) to legally obtain a gun.

That's actually not true. That's a common gun control trope. The only way they can get those figures is to cherry pick which countries they include in the comparisons. Statistically, there's no correlation between gun availability and gun violence rates.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

The ambulance chasers went after the money, not the guns!

That's how all those scumbags are! Deepest pockets first!

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   

edit on 5/18/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: Double trouble

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Can you please explain/clarify this post? I'm not understanding where you're coming from here.

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just not understanding.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Vegas much?

You might be okay with the odds in Vegas, but I'm not!

I've been in a gun confrontation...have you????? I wasn't armed (shame on me), but fortunately for me someone else was. The confrontation ended INSTANTLY when someone else produced equal and opposing force! Instantly!! Cowards will be cowards, and cowards kill unarmed people.

Truth be known, I wasn't completely unarmed, my pistol was in my car, but I wasn't in my car (along with my girlfriend). I had gotten out, and someone stuck a loaded .38 revolver in my right kidney/liver area from behind. Had he pulled the trigger, I wouldn't be writing this.

The gunman was held (at gunpoint) for a full 20 minutes before the cops arrived. Did you read that???...A FULL 20 MINUTES BEFORE LAW ENFORCEMENT ARRIVED!

You can live in your fantasy land...I choose to live in reality!

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: face23785

Can you please explain/clarify this post? I'm not understanding where you're coming from here.

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just not understanding.

The point of the OP was to make his argument to the anti-gun crowd. Most of the people he was attempting to reach out to have zero interest in becoming informed on the subject or having a real discussion.

posted on May, 18 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

You can live in your fantasy land...I choose to live in reality!

That pretty much the argument against most liberals policies. There's a reason Churchill said people should be conservatives by the time they're 30. Liberal policies tug on your heart strings and might sound emotionally "right" but they just don't work in the real world. These days, though, we have people that can go through their entire lives in a sheltered bubble and never learn anything.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join